Fake delivery notes

Hi guys, I have a problem. Couple of times when go to collection point, the weight of the load is different then I’ve got in my papers. My question is: do I have right to refuse to get loaded?Cheers

It depends. Is the weight they want to load on you legal for your vehicle? Can you get all the load on safely? If the answer is no, then you should refuse. Otherwise let the customer know the weight is different and crack on with it.

Not sure why the delivery notes are fake; do you mean there is more weight on the notes than on the vehicle? If so it’s nowt to do with you so long as you have the correct amount on.

When say fake, I mean the broker put weight of 26 tons on delivery note, but when started loading in the depot they give you another delivery note but the weight is 27.5 - 28.0 tons which is up to the legal limit.

say nothing,and find a buyer for the extra 2 tons,or are you not a proper truckie?? :wink:

nothing wrong there

the broker has been given an approximate weight by the shipper

when you arrive at the shipper for collection, they have the correct weight

all you need to do is make sure that the correct weight from the shipper does not put you overweight

If I was being paid by the tonne I would expect to be paid for the higher amount.

Thank you everybody.

Is it steel? This was a surprisingly common practise amongst many unscrupulous stockholders in the past, including some very well known substantial companies. The haulier would be given a job to collect a load of sheet/blanks/coils at point A, usually another stockholder, take it to his customers premises, unsheet and the bundle tickets and notes would be changed adding about 2 tonnes usually, then resheet and deliver to his customer who, surprise surprise, wouldn’t have a weighbridge.

His customer had asked for a grade he didn’t have so he bought it in, knew he wouldn’t get away with adding to the price per tonne so increased the weight for his profit.

Let’s be clear, this is fraud but it’s not you who is committing it. As for whether the new weight can be carried legally that is irrelevant, VOSA prosecute on what you actually weigh not on what the paperwork suggests you might weigh. Personally I tried to steer away from this type of job, but can’t claim to be totally innocent but we are talking 25+ years ago. I tthought that this practice had ended long since but apparently not.

No, it still goes on, but not in such a big way as it used to as a lot of firms buy on number of items rather than weight, however there are some steel products that can only be sold on weight.
It used to be embarrassing at times when you,d turn up with 24 tonnes of steel at 38 tonne gross, and the notes would say 29 tonnes. Customer says “I can’t believe you can get that sort of weight on that truck!”, “neither can I” I would say.