Failing C+E reverse

Hi guys, just looking for some additional tips. Unfortunately failed my CE on my reverse on my test after not feeling atall confident with it all week… Other than that only 1 minor so that’s positive I suppose!

The issue I seem to have with the reverse is getting the back end around the first cone. As whenever I manage to get it around the first cone find the other bit fairly easy backing into the hatched area. I feel as if I have an okay understanding of how the trailer works in relation to what I’m doing as I can easily reverse it into the diagonal bays at the training centre…

I will run through my method on the test… Keeping close as possible on left hand starter cone, right hand full lock then straighten up if I still can’t see the cone in my o/s mirror I right hand some more then back again at this point I still can’t see it, so worrying I’m close to be hitting it… nerves kick in. I take the worst shunt in history which made things probably worse… I end up basically out of the line. I knew at this point I failed so ‘reset’ myself if you like and somehow did it in one. -.- haha!

My belief is that on my run up to the two starter cones my trailer isn’t always facing straight possibly… But any tips on the initial start would be greatly received as I don’t wanna spend any more money on tests D:!

I could also possibly just be looking into this far to much :smiley: and just need more practice [emoji14] cheers guys.

Sounds like you had it nailed apart from the reverse, so I would try to take the positives out of the situation, I think not over thinking and a bit of concentrated practice on the reverse before your next test is all that you need.

I know it is gutting failing - I failed first time, try to view it as a dummy run for the next test, knowing what was coming did help settle my nerves second time around.

Always tricky trying to give constructive help without actually seeing what’s happening. But I may be able to help. This next bit ONLY applies if it’s an artic. Disregard totally if it’s a drawbar.

The line up. Aim to get as close as you can to B cone on the run up to A cones. Having got nice and close, keep the vehicle straight. Don’t let it drift back to the right. You should end up in a straight line - and it wont matter if it’s a little bit out.

Make sure you have taken all the available space ahead of you.

When you start the reverse, make sure you turn instantly to the right. I always suggest you take a deep breath before you start and say “right, I can do this”. This will remind you to steer right. Distance is often lost when the steering is applied incorrectly and then has to be sorted out.

Aim to get the tractor unit about 2’ from the yellow line on your right - and parallel with it. Common mistake now is to start following the trailer by steering left. This will almost certainly lead to clouting B cone or getting horribly close to it. The secret is to run the unit parallel with the yellow line until you have the correct angle with the trailer. (there is often a magic mark to look for which will be pointed out by the trainer to confirm your decision). Once you have got the correct bend, steer left to follow the trailer. Wont be long before the outfit is in a straight line.

Now check that the trailer is heading for the garage. It should be. But it might need a little help. From your description, you’re ok with this.

A small point; if you have a shunt, make it count. You can go forward level with A cones. It’s a minor mark whether you do this or shunt 3 feet. So go for it and make life as easy as possible.

If you have a drawbar, totally ignore the bit about running it parallel with the yellow line. You’ll end up in a reef knot!

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replies yeah I defiantly feel a lot less nervous for my next test and weirdly looking forward to cracking on with it!

Thanks for that explanation peter! That defiantly made sense and I will put it into practice soon as I can. The running parallel to the yellow line makes sense and im possibly turning back to quick. And making an effective shunt in a non panic also sounds a better idea haha [emoji14].
Thanks again for the advice will update on how I get on when I can get back behind the wheel!

Forgot to mention the reason for running the unit parallel with the line. Doing this will increase the bend between the unit and trailer. Don’t overdo it, though, as the trailer will end up at 90 degrees across the yard - and that’s not good!

All the best with your next test, Pete :laughing: :laughing: