Failed Test and Fuming

3 wheeler:

blue estate:

3 wheeler:
I got laughed at by my test examiner, there was a yellow f7 baby unit with a 20ft single axle short flat attached outside the door of the test centre , so he walked towards it as we went out.
I walked away from him towards my old mans ancient Sed Atk with a tank behind it and had to call out to him !
He laughed and said “you deserve a licence if that’s what you are going to drive for the next hour”…
It transpired he had worked with the old man twenty yrs before .
I passed.

He had probably drove that when he worked with your old man and knew what a dog it was[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bluey, that just might have been the truth, it was bloody old and horrid.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

If my…

Dodgy memory serves me correctly, you can appeal the examiners decision.

Good luck.

blue estate:

3 wheeler:

blue estate:

3 wheeler:
I got laughed at by my test examiner, there was a yellow f7 baby unit with a 20ft single axle short flat attached outside the door of the test centre , so he walked towards it as we went out.
I walked away from him towards my old mans ancient Sed Atk with a tank behind it and had to call out to him !
He laughed and said “you deserve a licence if that’s what you are going to drive for the next hour”…
It transpired he had worked with the old man twenty yrs before .
I passed.

He had probably drove that when he worked with your old man and knew what a dog it was[emoji23][emoji23]

Bluey, that just might have been the truth, it was bloody old and horrid.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

In 1985 I took the sed Atk 401 with a tandem axle tanker double cabbed with the missus to bloody southern Spain (only once) before our F12 was ready to use…
Yes I needed certifying

NorthernApe:

dieseldog999:
i had friend who was an examiner for about 30 years and the way he saw it was that they are human beings working for a government type body.
they all just want to get through their job as the invisible grey man.
they dont want to constantly pass,nor fail.
if your getting the benefit of doubt,then it wont be given if they dislike your attitude enough and vise versa.
its all down to their opinion at the end of the day.

there are candidates who are going to pass unless they mess up enough to fail,as there are candidates who will fail unless they are good enough to pass.
having a run of constant passes or fails isnt something they want to be noticed for.
you got failed,its disappointing but not the end of the world,just put back in for another test asap and hop for a different hiviz herbert the next time.

Funnily enough, I did think I had upset him when I said I needed to nip to the loo for a pee before we went out for the test. He looked at me and said “well if you must” and seemed a bit sulky at making him wait.

It was at that point he realised you’d never make a real driver. You should have held on until the end of the test, and then unleashed Niagara over the nearside drive-axle wheels. That’s what a real driver would have done :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
If my…

Dodgy memory serves me correctly, you can appeal the examiners decision.

Good luck.

You can appeal it, but it won’t be reversed, at best you would get your test fee refunded, I used to be an lgv instructor, and have never heard of anyone successfully doing this, unless anyone else knows any different?..

“The practical test makes sure you can drive confidently and safely in different road and traffic conditions, and that you know The Highway Code (and can show this by the way you drive). It lasts about 90 minutes.

You’re going to need to concentrate for a ■■■■ sight longer than 50 minutes at a stint once you get a job driving class 1. Move on.

Any left turn that can be made with any long vehicle without leaving enough room for a car to go through on the nearside on the approach isn’t a tight left turn.Nothing to lose by appealing it on the grounds that at that point rule 221 applies to any hypothetical vehicle approaching from behind as you’re making the turn and that you were making sure that the trailer wheels would clear the kerb.You’d carried out your responsibility of mirror and signal before attempting to turn and the way was clear.

Don’t quote me on it but I’m sure there is something in the Highway Code that when you signal left you cannot move right, something to do with causing confusion to other road users, there is also a chance it could cancel the indicator which again could cause confusion.

What did the rest of your test sheet look like? Did you have any other minors for positioning/signalling/shoulder checks?

sunsetdriving:
Don’t quote me on it but I’m sure there is something in the Highway Code that when you signal left you cannot move right, something to do with causing confusion to other road users, there is also a chance it could cancel the indicator which again could cause confusion.

What did the rest of your test sheet look like? Did you have any other minors for positioning/signalling/shoulder checks?

I’m fairly certain nothing in the highway code about that (could be wrong as not looked for a long time) however you are quite correct about it causing confusion to others. As I said earlier it is a bad habit of some experienced drivers.

Carryfast:
Any left turn that can be made with any long vehicle without leaving enough room for a car to go through on the nearside on the approach isn’t a tight left turn.Nothing to lose by appealing it on the grounds that at that point rule 221 applies to any hypothetical vehicle approaching from behind as you’re making the turn and that you were making sure that the trailer wheels would clear the kerb.You’d carried out your responsibility of mirror and signal before attempting to turn and the way was clear.

Did you read any of the thread? What the hell are you on about? Absolute nonsense. :unamused:

Try reading what the problem on his test was please.

jakethesnake:

Carryfast:

Did you read any of the thread? What the hell are you on about? Absolute nonsense. :unamused:

Try reading what the problem on his test was please.

I did read it.Why don’t you explain which part I’ve got wrong.If you’ve never left a big gap on the nearside and/or turned towards the opposite direction to that in which you’re making a tight turn it’s doubtful that you’ve driven anything larger than a zb Mini.Here’s a clue the interaction between tail sweep and a A frame drawbar is one of the big advantages of that configuration over an artic for exactly that reason.Which probably explains the abysmal driving standards that we’re seeing of truck drivers being taught to drive and tested by mediocre car drivers and even worse car drivers expecting trucks to be driven like micro cars.

youtube.com/watch?v=vAEzprnn-6A 3.02-3.20

jakethesnake:

sunsetdriving:

I’m fairly certain nothing in the highway code about that (could be wrong as not looked for a long time) however you are quite correct about it causing confusion to others. As I said earlier it is a bad habit of some experienced drivers.

Confusion bs.Feel free to explain rule 221.

sunsetdriving:

Like I said I cannot remember turning the wheel, but if so it would have literally been for a split second or I would not have made the turn and certainly not enough to knock the indicator off.
I got three minors, one was for doing the reversing in 2 stages, which was my choice prior to the test anyway. One was for a judgement at a crossing (I assume when a bus stopped without indicating and left me overhanging a pelican crossing). The other was an observation at a junction but not sure what as he didn’t really go through them with me, just told me about the one I’d failed on.

If your steering was slightly right with the left indicator on and your steered more right the left indicator would stay on and stay on right through the turn left.

I completely understand what you are saying that a slight turn right is not going to have a vast effect on where the back of the trailer is. Maybe it is just the act of moving slightly right that encourages a car to dart into a gap.

However, if your aim was to avoid hitting a kerb, having your trailer move very slightly isn’t really going to help in that aim very much.

The driving examiner may have the same opinion as you, but he is testing against the driving standard and he will have been tested on his ability to assess the driving standard. It is not his rules.

Noremac:
If your steering was slightly right with the left indicator on and your steered more right the left indicator would stay on and stay on right through the turn left.

I completely understand what you are saying that a slight turn right is not going to have a vast effect on where the back of the trailer is. Maybe it is just the act of moving slightly right that encourages a car to dart into a gap.

However, if your aim was to avoid hitting a kerb, having your trailer move very slightly isn’t really going to help in that aim very much.

The driving examiner may have the same opinion as you, but he is testing against the driving standard and he will have been tested on his ability to assess the driving standard. It is not his rules.

The line taken by the drive axle/s determines the line taken by the trailer axles/cut in.If you can change that line even slightly by steering in the opposite direction to the turn that can/will make the difference between the trailer possibly running over the kerb and possibly people or not depending on the tightness of the turn.

Why? I am sure the examiner knows how to test a driver and they always give the candidate the benefit of the doubt. To fail a test you either have to do something dangerous or something potentially dangerous and if that was not the case the driver would have passed. I have accompanied many drivers on driving tests and just like this guy he cannot remember or did not realise his mistake. The examiner would have explained his fault after the test was completed. Appealing is pointless. We are talking about a experienced examiners word against a novice who has had maybe a weeks training or so. You go out with a clean sheet. It’s the way you drive that determines what is on it when you get back.

Now I have read some of your almost illegible rants before and your strange ideas so just think before you spout nonsense. :wink:

The fact of the matter is that you have to take it on the chin. I failed on C+E about twenty years ago and thought that I should have past , unfortunately the examiner thought otherwise!!. Have a full and frank discussion with your instructor and come back here after you pass.

jakethesnake:

Why?

Because it’s obviously relevant to the idea that an artic moving to the right to make a left hand turn should be expected by following traffic.Which leaves the question what is it about that rule which you seem to be having trouble understanding.

Carryfast:
The line taken by the drive axle/s determines the line taken by the trailer axles/cut in.If you can change that line even slightly by steering in the opposite direction to the turn that can/will make the difference between the trailer possibly running over the kerb and possibly people or not depending on the tightness of the turn.

I believe this is a different issue about if a right line is held. The information is that the right line was not held.

alamcculloch:
The fact of the matter is that you have to take it on the chin. I failed on C+E about twenty years ago and thought that I should have past , unfortunately the examiner thought otherwise!!. Have a full and frank discussion with your instructor and come back here after you pass.

The way I read it is that the fail was based on the premise that a left turn must be made without leaving enough room for a car to go along the nearside at any point on the approach or during the turn.As I said so long as mirror checks and signal was carried out before starting the turn rule 221 then applies to following traffic.