Failed my test... Sad times

Hi folks,

Sorry for the ramble again…

Well after my training and first test got cut short and cancelled with lock down 2, I got back in for a full day training on Sunday and test Monday with PSTT…I messed up about 5 mins from the test centre on the way back [emoji20][emoji20]

What did I do? My final pull over on the left in a safe location, Mel the examiner said those words to me, I knew it was the last one the 5th and final, thelast thing before I get told turn left at the junction and back to the test centre… and for some dim witted reason went for the very nearest point I could see, a little on the quick side meaning the car behind didn’t really get much notice since I kinda dived at the spot, anybody who has been with Pete recently heading back to the centre the is often a little red 107 along the road from where the 2 big yank picks up sit… Remember using that nice straight bit of road with loads of room to practice the pull over on the left? well muppet here didn’t stop there, nope he stopped behind the little red car, the tone from Mel to pull away I knew I had clocked up just wasn’t 100 percent why.

So keys off, and the unfortunately… Do you know why etc I though it was more that I was too close to the junction then reminded me about the car and HOW MUCH NOTICE… Then a little close to a car on a turn and don’t use your indicators off the mini roundabouts so much when going straight on as it could be classed as misleading, go speak to Tracy get booked back in and you’ll smash it, you just threw it away in a moment of madness.

It was hard to hear, and I am so angry at myself for thinking sod it in there, Mel did say not great but its in so not an issue, just diving in too quick, after my wonkiest reverse yet and it right on the verge of getting stopped due to running out of time, after getting stuck at level crossing for 15 minutes and Mel saying been here for 15 mins, another 45 todo on test and not enough time, about 10 seconds later the barrier went up so I scooted off quickly as I could.

Rosian(sp) looked genuinely gutted for me as I Walked out camera in hand ready for the passed pic and took me in to see Tracy to sort rebook, need to get in touch when I know which day off work is easiest

Sorry to Chris, who had my first half training with, sorry Helen who put up with me all day on a wet and manky Sunday, you where awesome and taught me very well I was just a pleb, could not ask for a nicer examiner in Mel either, OK I wish it was a eepp that was a bit sharpish but, can only mark to how I drive on the test and the criteria they are given.

So all I can say is listen carefully don’t get carried away, if they want you to pull up behind a car they will say in good time and know its safe todo so.

Still feeling sorry for myself and feel quite down because its another wait till can get that notice at current job put in but next time It will be burned into my brain that’s for sure

Thanks to anybody who made it through that [emoji23]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

It is disheartening, isn’t it?

I failed CE twice. After the second fail I got the feeling I just can’t drive, even a car probably.
I’m very grateful to Pete who spent a couple of hours with me helping to understand the reversing after my fail so I could head home with some hope that I’m not that useless.
However, I just can’t come back to PSTT - I don’t have time and that much money to travel back and forth and I live much further north than you. I’ll go with the nearest trainer, who is not bad from what I found out. Actually people travel to him form quite far which I find surprising. The good thing is after the test I can just hop on the boat and be home the following morning.

Hope you make it the second time. Mel was my examiner when doing cat. C and second CE. She is ok, but I found Paul creating more relaxing atmosphere, trying to take the pressure away, chatting, just a different manner, not that strict and official.

You didn’t fail mate , it was deferred success.I have recently read a book by Ant Middleton called The fear bubble .
He was on about negativity , worth the read .

dead.duck:
It is disheartening, isn’t it?

I failed CE twice. After the second fail I got the feeling I just can’t drive, even a car probably.
I’m very grateful to Pete who spent a couple of hours with me helping to understand the reversing after my fail so I could head home with some hope that I’m not that useless.
However, I just can’t come back to PSTT - I don’t have time and that much money to travel back and forth and I live much further north than you. I’ll go with the nearest trainer, who is not bad from what I found out. Actually people travel to him form quite far which I find surprising. The good thing is after the test I can just hop on the boat and be home the following morning.

Hope you make it the second time. Mel was my examiner when doing cat. C and second CE. She is ok, but I found Paul creating more relaxing atmosphere, trying to take the pressure away, chatting, just a different manner, not that strict and official.

Hi, yeah well travelled down from Aberdeen, and that was enough let alone up to the islands as well, it does get down a bit and question yourself a lot, and the worry of a little mistake that in real life would probably happen all the time when doing a job means another long drive but oh well I know for sure what todo on the stops next time haha

Doing the artics I’ll need to up the kalms for that one!

Turn it into a positive. Were you aware of the car behind you? If you were aware, you would think twice about pulling in quickly. In a truck you shouldn’t pull in quickly anyway, but the examiner may have given the major because there was something there. You may have gotten the benefit of the doubt otherwise and if your mirror work was good in the lead up to the stop.

Noremac:
Turn it into a positive. Were you aware of the car behind you? If you were aware, you would think twice about pulling in quickly. In a truck you shouldn’t pull in quickly anyway, but the examiner may have given the major because there was something there. You may have gotten the benefit of the doubt otherwise and if your mirror work was good in the lead up to the stop.

I was only at about 20 mph and not hard on the brakes, knew had cars behind me, did think they were further back than they where, so wasn’t really concerned knew as I had started the manoeuvre though this was a bad decision not enough space to be really doing this but was already on the brakes and moving over… Stupid idea I paniced thinking that’s the only spot left but atvleastconly result is me feeling sorry for my self, annoying somebody temporarily nothing damaged or hurt.

Tarmaceater:
You didn’t fail mate , it was deferred success.I have recently read a book by Ant Middleton called The fear bubble .
He was on about negativity , worth the read .

Yes one good way of looking at it I guess, it was going very well up to that point, I know I can do it just didn’t go to plan on that manoeuvre

SquireT:

Noremac:

I was only at about 20 mph and not hard on the brakes, knew had cars behind me, did think they were further back than they where, so wasn’t really concerned knew as I had started the manoeuvre though this was a bad decision not enough space to be really doing this but was already on the brakes and moving over… Stupid idea I paniced thinking that’s the only spot left but atvleastconly result is me feeling sorry for my self, annoying somebody temporarily nothing damaged or hurt.

You can’t please everybody. Yesterday morning I signalled to move out because an idiot had parked half on the pavement half on the road on a bit of dual-carriageway. Driver behind was in the outside lane and flashed me out. Once past, I started to move back over for a left at the roundabout, suddenly approaching the roundabout van that flashed me on the horn and coming down the outside at speed, actually preventing me from entering the roundabout (was in an artic). The van driver probably hadn’t seen the parked vehicle as it was probably not in his view at any time (so thought I had signalled to move out randomly??). In retrospect I probably should have occupied both lanes to prevent such a thing occurring at the roundabout, however many car drivers don’t understand trucks doing this either, so you can’t really win.

It just goes to show that many car and van drivers do not know how much space to give a large vehicle. This is why the driving test for these categories seems to cover some of the defensive driving that is required to cope with the standard of driving that is on the road. Of course in theory, any following vehicle should be leaving sufficient stopping distance so that the vehicle in front could do an emergency stop without anything coming into the back of it. If you look at the standard of driving on the roads this isn’t the way people drive.

Don’t beat yourself up and overboard on an analysis and breakdown of events as you will pass first time next time .
Get yourself down to Weatherspoons for a substantial meal of cheesy nachos and a few rounds of Shipyard ale and a few whiskeys to wash the grub down .

So sorry to hear it didn’t come right for you today. But you seem to understand what went wrong so fingers crossed for next time.

Dead duck: also sorry to hear we’re losing you. But please keep in touch and I’m always here to help if I possibly can.

Such a shame to get two deferred success’s in quick succession. But I have never claimed a 100% pass rate for PSTT! It’s the nature of the job that some folks wont pass straight away. Thankfully it’s normally sorted quickly and we end up with happy people.

Take care all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I like the 'spoons Idea haha, but ill stick to a can at home for now, save that visit to celebrate my pass!

Thanks Pete, yes as much as I would love to blame somebody else, picky testers and so on, just I was a dipstick, I will be back, should know next day or so when I can time off work, Already have a few options, not sure if I should book an extra hr or 2 in yet before hand just for a bit of practice, going at it 1st shot has its benefits as well.

not sure if I should book an extra hr or 2 in yet before hand just for a bit of practice, going at it 1st shot has its benefits as well.

That’s very much up to you. My experience tells me that a retest within 3 weeks can often be fine without a warm up. But go beyond that and a warm up becomes a lot more useful, even essential.

Clearly if there is a fault that needs to be sorted, then this should happen regardless of how long the wait is for a retest.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers again Pete, sounds like a good idea then with waiting around 6 weeks, I took the pass protection out for a just in case, so thankfully that is covered and even a short time out in the truck before the test, get used to it a little, settle the nerves a bit, stops me sitting around overthinking things before the test. Will have a yap with Tracy when I know can get off work, get it all priced up and planned out and hope the drive down is a little less soggy next time

Yes, with a 6 week wait it makes a lot of sense to have a warm up. Go for anything from 2 hours and you’ll find it will help.

All the best with it, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the DVLA jobsworths only pass certain people aligned to certain haulage companies or organisations.
For example, I was advised that a very high percentage of drivers passed their test first time at a very large local RAF base, which makes no sense when the passrate for everyone else is much lower.
The only thing that i really learnt from my instructors was to look in the mirror, and not much else, because i have been driving for 33 years, legally, and 39 years in total (including agricultural work)
I don’t think the DVSA CAT C test process is fit for purpose, myself. Particularly the stupid CPC crap. “What should i eat for my dinner, muesli or chips ?”

Riddlemethis:
I’ve come to the conclusion that the DVLA jobsworths only pass certain people aligned to certain haulage companies or organisations.
For example, I was advised that a very high percentage of drivers passed their test first time at a very large local RAF base, which makes no sense when the passrate for everyone else is much lower.
The only thing that i really learnt from my instructors was to look in the mirror, and not much else, because i have been driving for 33 years, legally, and 39 years in total (including agricultural work)
I don’t think the DVSA CAT C test process is fit for purpose, myself. Particularly the stupid CPC crap. “What should i eat for my dinner, muesli or chips ?”

Just a small point but the driving tests are undertaken by the DVSA, not the DVLA.

Armed forces candidates would be on the younger side and at the peak of their physical fitness. It would be expected that the pass rate would be slightly elevated, in my opinion. They would also be quite well rested I would imagine, whereas your man on the street may not be.

For pre-test nerves try Kalms from Boots , a natural herbal remedy to take the edge of things .

Well all booked in for the 1st Feb, 2hrs warmup in the truck before hand will request many a pull over on the left to make sure I work the nerves out on that!

Good shout on the kalms, helped before keep them in the car handy!

Noremac:

Riddlemethis:

Just a small point but the driving tests are undertaken by the DVSA, not the DVLA.

Armed forces candidates would be on the younger side and at the peak of their physical fitness. It would be expected that the pass rate would be slightly elevated, in my opinion. They would also be quite well rested I would imagine, whereas your man on the street may not be.

Yes you are correct it is DVSA, just a typo sorry.
I’m not quite sure that physical fitness due to a young age in the armed forces has anything to do with ability to drive.
Am i missing something here ? Does the ability to do 50 star jumps mean i can drive better ?
If so that must be why i failed my test, I must sign up.
Yes I imagine they would be quite well rested. I worked at an RAF base once implementing software, and when I asked what all the guys sitting around actually did i was told “If they aren’t deployed in Theatre (their favourite word) they are either painting fences or watching ■■■■” - That was at RAF Lytham btw.
Again - it appears to have little to do with driving ability.

If RAF personnel are not deployed or mobilised , the officers arrange “ Training and leadership courses “ abroad, this will be skiing in Europe , river rafting in the Ardeche valley in the South of France or hiking in California, on the tax payers bill .
Just Google 4624 Movements Squadron RAF Brize Norton , if you wanted to get a cheap flight to the Ascencion islands for turtle spotting then connect there to the Falklands .

The military skills courses were good fun , it’s a knockout with the Royal Navy or the Army for a week , in Germany or Holland .