Failed my Class2 17/3/2015

Hi guys, new to the forum,
I started taking class 2 lessons on 16th March, on the 1st reverse exercise I nailed it then after 3. / 4 more goes was told that I am very confident and will have no problem with this exercise, so out we go one the road drive,
No kerbs hit and no problems all day this was a great 1st day out.
2nd day was just as good and my instructor said I should be ready for test on Thursday, belly rumbles started , anyway all went well even 3rd day all around Leeds wakefield Ossett dewsbury ect, .
TEST DAY
Out we go test is at 2pm last test of the day, Reverse exercise was very good, pass then out to the road drive, through a 7.5 limit he had a licence for the road we were going on to, so far all good then down towards Leeds center, so far so good, parked up and set off about 5 times I felt relaxed and all was going well,
Then I was told to park behind a car, please drive on when your ready checks done off I go at this point I thought it was a very good drive until back at the test centre he gave me the bad news sorry this time you have failed, he explains why and I take it on board, he was a good examiner name Gordon from patrick green test Center, just doing his job I guess,he asked if this was my 1st test to which I replied yes. Don’t know why, he also said it to my Instrucor, I was gutted but I know many more fail1st time around so retest booked I got 6 minors and 2 serious , I was told to take 1st exit at roundabout and indicated to take turn left it on was told to cancel indicator, also pulled away from behind parked car not letting vehicle coming down the road pass, I thought there was plenty of room but obviously not,
Anyway I hope to do better next time round fingers crossed, I have read many blogs on here over the years and now am a member so thank you to all the truckers on here who have inspired me to take the leap to do my class2 .
Thank you for reading my experience with LGV And Test.

No such thing as “failed” its just more practice. Something that helped me pass was talking through what I was doing all the time. The examiner must of thought I was mad but I passed even though I went the wrong way and was in the wrong lane.

Of the four classes of driving test I have taken I only passed one first time, the other three were at second attempt.

A bit more practice and a bit more confidence and you will pass.

Good luck.

I will try that method and hope I pass lol, I’m a safe driver well I like to think I am, thanks for your reply much appreciated let you know on 10th April 2 pm retest day of my results and how my talking throu the test goes. Thanks again.

I had that 20 years ago.Remember that the pass rate is kept at about 50% you will pass next time.

Thank you for your comments they really are appriciated and I’m sure next time round I should have the words that everyone wants to hear on the test.

I feel for you. I have only passed driving tests first time on 2 occasions, the rest were on the second attempt. Don’t dwell on it, just get a bit more practice and try again.

Not cancelling indicators is a big thing but its easy to mend, once you have finished your manoeuvre, just remember to check the signal is off. As for pulling out in front of the car, just make sure you will be able to get up to speed so he doesn’t have to slow down.

What were your minors? might be able to get a couple of pointers from people.

Hi
Minors were control 1 minor
Change direction 2 minors
Appropriate speed 1 minor
Meeting 2 minors
Serious was safety move off , I did all checks and blind spot nothing was there ?
Serious Timed
Eco safe drive perfect
I never moved off without fully checking can’t understand that one.
Thanks again guys.

It took me the third attempt before I passed. First time I went to go through a weight restriction. Second time was about 3 weeks later. Hadn’t been in the lorry again til a hour before the test and I was worse than the first time. Third time got lucky.

Passed my class 1 first time somehow.

The advice I’d give to anyone is to take your time, especially approaching, entering, and whilst on roundabouts. It’s not a race to get around.

I will take all the info you all have posted and hope that I come back with good news, it’s nice to get some tips from professional drivers who have been doing this a long time, keep you updated on 10th April on how test went, thanks again for your help.

Andy Houston:
I will take all the info you all have posted and hope that I come back with good news, it’s nice to get some tips from professional drivers who have been doing this a long time, keep you updated on 10th April on how test went, thanks again for your help.

What time is your next test. I passed both times at an 8 a.m slot. IMO that’s the best time as you’re more alert early in the day and because it’s rush hour there’s more traffic so you don’t drive about as much. For my class 1 my examiner took me right out of Peterborough on the A47 up to the A1 then South on the A1 then back into Peterborough and straight into a lovely queue of traffic. :smiley:

My next test is booked for 2:pm Friday 10th April last test of the day so I hope it’s better news this time.

alamcculloch:
I had that 20 years ago.Remember that the pass rate is kept at about 50% you will pass next time.

No, that’s not true. There is no quota or similar limit, and if everyone on a given day achieves the required standard they will all pass. FWIW the pass rate has been improving each year for the past few years.

gov.uk/government/statistic … pass-rates

Andy Houston:
Hi
Meeting 2 minors
Serious was safety move off , I did all checks and blind spot nothing was there ?
Serious Timed
Eco safe drive perfect
Thanks again guys.

Try to remember MSPSL:
Mirrors
Signal
Position
Speed
Look

Along with LADA:
Look
Assess
Decide
Act

Sounds like your having a few problems with junctions and signals. One thing leads on to another, if you get the drift. If your going to fast, you can’t get the correct position and don’t have enough time to look and act. Again, “meeting/crossing approaching traffic” is both major into minor roads, as well as obstructions, whether they are parked vehicles or something else.

Overall though, not too bad. Brake earlier, give more space and check your mirrors more often. Remember, your aiming to drive something that is vastly different to what you normally drive and need to adjust your driving accordingly.

It could be your either going too fast or too slow. Because you got inappropriate speed rather than undue hesitation this leads me to think your too fast/keen. Slow it down, take your time and try to enjoy yourself.

Your instructor really should have gone through the fail sheet with you. When you next meet up ask him to take you on the same route and see what he thinks.

bobdebouwer:

Andy Houston:
Hi
Meeting 2 minors
Serious Timed
Eco safe drive perfect
Thanks again guys.

Try to remember MSPSL:
Mirrors
Signal
Position
Speed
Look

Along with LADA:
Look
Assess
Decide
Act

Sounds like your having a few problems with junctions and signals. One thing leads on to another, if you get the drift. If your going to fast, you can’t get the correct position and don’t have enough time to look and act. Again, “meeting/crossing approaching traffic” is both major into minor roads, as well as obstructions, whether they are parked vehicles or something else.

Overall though, not too bad. Brake earlier, give more space and check your mirrors more often. Remember, your aiming to drive something that is vastly different to what you normally drive and need to adjust your driving accordingly.

It could be your either going too fast or too slow. Because you got inappropriate speed rather than undue hesitation this leads me to think your too fast/keen. Slow it down, take your time and try to enjoy yourself.

Your instructor really should have gone through the fail sheet with you. When you next meet up ask him to take you on the same route and see what he thinks.

Sound advice there - I would add (and I know it’s a bit late now) that you should take the opportunity to have your instructor sit in on the de-brief.

Yes I think you are right, I was coming a little to fast at roundabouts but still under very good control, no kerbs hit around leeds test route and kept to my lines on left and right turns, also I will remember the info you have posted for me and try to relax a little more on the test, thanks again for the posts.

Hi well took my LGV C test today at 2pm Patrick Green test centre and got the words at the end I wanted to hear, congratulations I’m pleased to tell you that you have passed, thank you to all people on hear for your good info I used it and had a great drive only 4 minors thanks again . Chuffed to bits.

Congratulations :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you .

Well done mate.