Failed my Class 1 test today • Unsure how to proceed now? :/

Blacov89:
I have been give a serious fault for straddling(splitting lanes) where examiner felt there was no need for that.

If the examiner felt there was no need to split the lanes then this would be a valid fail, they are looking for a level of competence and skill way above that of a car driver. Why didn’t your instructor/school take you to this junction?

was led to believe that a serious fault must be something potentially dangerous.

No, it can be just an habitual fault such as only using one mirror each time an observation is required.

My instructor was very surprised that I got a serious for such thing too and frankly couldn’t agree with the result.

Take your instructor with you next time?

Apart from serious fault nothing else was explained to me and I have had a couple of minors, around 8-9

8-9 driving faults is quite a lot, your only allowed 12 max. On a fail only dangerous or serious faults are explained, if it’s a pass the examiner will highlight a couple of driving faults to help you.

To be fair, if I’m approaching a junction that I don’t know and I’m unsure if I’ve got enough room, I’ll take it all as well. Better to be safe than sorry.
Day to day driving isn’t ya test though…

I agree this could be classed a minor fault but again I have no way of knowing every road. The examiner mentioned two occasions where he felt it was not necessary. I was unsure and wanted to play it safe as mentioned above. It was 90 degree junction where 2lanes open up to 3 shortly before the traffic lights so the right turn lane wasn’t much longer than my vehicle combination anyway. Another situation took place in similar circumstances on the approach to a roundabout, fairly large although with multiple lanes, again dual carriageway opens up to 4 lanes shortly before the roundabout. I didn’t know the roundabout so I straddled lanes I thought it was to make it safer not only for me but for other road users.

I know that 8-9minors is a lot but I felt like at least 3 were a little exaggerated. None were explained anyway so I have no idea what exactly I have done wrong. I know I made a small mistake 2-3 times but it is just my personal feeling as nothing has been said.

I just wanted to know if you can qualify for a serious fault because you split the lanes. I am back for a retest but I don’t have much hope to pass.

Been there, done that. Also failed retest (was feeling awful due to flu) but sailed through on 3rd attempt and immediately landed job.

I’min late 50s. Had lots of experience driving near HGV Bedford TK horsebox in 20s and 30s. Plus years dragging trialers round farms do reckoned I could go straight for CE. Signed up with local trainer, did C assement morning, which was a walk in the park so passed. Boshed the reversing that afternoon and started Cat E the next Monday. Supposedly 4 x 4 hour mornings then test. The 4 hours were more like 3.5 due to comfort break etc.
Went into test feeling about 50%. Failed due to 2 majors, first being pulling out of the test centre (which is a blind exit). A shame, as the instructor said most of my driving was good and some “sublime.” Did another day with same instructor, not good - his input being “you’re going to fail again” - which was all he got right (largely due to suicidaly yummy mummy in Volvo XC90 who cut me up and performed emergency stop. I steered round her, to the dismay of someone setting up to overtake). Changed instructor, sailed though - kind of new I would as when I was emerging from centre some lovely bloke stopped and flashed me out. Happy days.

Observations:

1. The tricky bit is learning how long it takes to get arctic moving and clear of a space - which is of course crucial entering roundabouts. Practice and developing patience is the answer. The older you are the more practice you will need as it simply takes longer to learn stuff. With hindsight I should have said to training company that it 4x4 hours was the norm I would like at least 50% more.

2. The quality of instructors varies widely.

3. The roundabout straddling thing. As I, a mere newbie, see it the job of the driver is to get his truck round any obstacle without damaging it, the obstacle or anyone else. As regards straddling on any unfamiliar route he/she is going to be making that decision as they approach and the size / geometry of the exit may not be clear. In my current state of expertise I would far rather straddle unnecessarily than now straddle and clump something.
    OF course, as I get more familiar with route and truck (which is rather larger than I did my test(s) on) I’m sure I’ll straddle less. On my test drive for the job I noted that many other HGV were hogging the left lane to turn right, which my employer was happy with - it’s safe and it worked.

4. Training to pass the test, which is what I suspect is all anyone does, is a long way short of teaching you what you need to know - most obviously use of retarders and lifting and dropping axles. Similarly, rote learning which roundabouts to straddle (in the eyes of instructors and examiners) seems a weal alternative to learning (a) how to assess what you’re going to have to do and (b) how to fix it safely when you have stuffed up.

It may very well be much easier to drive an HGV now that it was in the days of manual gearboxes and little power steering. So what? If the syllabus and test do not match the reality of the need there is a problem.

Hello guys, just to update / conclude my own thread:
I returned back to Chevron to re-take my test (*but doing Class 2 this time) :: And passed it with ease! :smiley: :sunglasses:

Ultimately the bottom-line is that being able to safely & confidently handle a Class 1 artic is something that 99% of people cannot physically do without literally a few hundred hours of practical training/experience!
*Training-providers and/or experienced drivers may try claiming otherwise… But even 100-hours = Merely just 10-shifts of actually working as a Class 1 driver.
(Thus 20-hours of training is the equivalent of merely 2 actual work-shifts in the lorry / *Not factoring in that training routes will be basic & simple vs real-life routes)

Training providers can ofcourse teach certain people to ‘‘pass the 45-minute test’’, with just 20-hours of training, yes :: But after merely just 2-days experience (*of driving any size of lorry for the 1st time ever), and then being given the keys to an artic… I extremely doubt those passes are actually ‘‘safe’’ to be on on the road (for atleast the first few weeks of when they commence their 1st job as a Class 1 driver)

If people wish to hold different opinions though ~ That’s ofcourse their personal right to do so.

#

What I personally would say/advise though (to anyone else in a similar situation to what I was in) is… GO FOR CLASS 2 instead! :sunglasses:

Honestly, I did literally just 1 afternoon (4-hours) training in a Class 2… And then not only aced my test / But much more importantly actually felt full confident & comfortable that I would be able to safely handle a Class 2 lorry myself (alone/on real-life routes) as a job.

Driving a Class 1 is basically like trying to drive/steer a train, but on the road.
Wheras driving a Class 2 is not really any different to driving your car (*simply is longer & wider + slower to set-off from a stand-still)

(So a rigid feels 95% the same as just driving a heavy large car .VS. Artic feels barely even 2% like driving a car, instead 98% like trying to steer a train!)

So if (like me) Artics simply didn’t feel comfortable for you, I strongly recommend you try Class 2 instead.
As you will almost certainly find the experience totally utterly different vs driving an artic, Plus massively more easy.

pass c.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Anonymous86x:
Hello guys, just to update / conclude my own thread:
I returned back to Chevron to re-take my test (*but doing Class 2 this time) :: And passed it with ease! :smiley: :sunglasses:

Ultimately the bottom-line is that being able to safely & confidently handle a Class 1 artic is something that 99% of people cannot physically do without literally a few hundred hours of practical training/experience!
*Training-providers and/or experienced drivers may try claiming otherwise… But even 100-hours = Merely just 10-shifts of actually working as a Class 1 driver.
(Thus 20-hours of training is the equivalent of merely 2 actual work-shifts in the lorry / *Not factoring in that training routes will be basic & simple vs real-life routes)

Training providers can ofcourse teach certain people to ‘‘pass the 45-minute test’’, with just 20-hours of training, yes :: But after merely just 2-days experience (*of driving any size of lorry for the 1st time ever), and then being given the keys to an artic… I extremely doubt those passes are actually ‘‘safe’’ to be on on the road (for atleast the first few weeks of when they commence their 1st job as a Class 1 driver)

If people wish to hold different opinions though ~ That’s ofcourse their personal right to do so.

#

What I personally would say/advise though (to anyone else in a similar situation to what I was in) is… GO FOR CLASS 2 instead! :sunglasses:

Honestly, I did literally just 1 afternoon (4-hours) training in a Class 2… And then not only aced my test / But much more importantly actually felt full confident & comfortable that I would be able to safely handle a Class 2 lorry myself (alone/on real-life routes) as a job.

Driving a Class 1 is basically like trying to drive/steer a train, but on the road.
Wheras driving a Class 2 is not really any different to driving your car (*simply is longer & wider + slower to set-off from a stand-still)

(So a rigid feels 95% the same as just driving a heavy large car .VS. Artic feels barely even 2% like driving a car, instead 98% like trying to steer a train!)

So if (like me) Artics simply didn’t feel comfortable for you, I strongly recommend you try Class 2 instead.
As you will almost certainly find the experience totally utterly different vs driving an artic, Plus massively more easy.

I cheated, and passed my HGV Class 1 in a wagon and drag. Much easier than an artic with just 20 hours or so training.

Moral of this story - just because you can go direct to CE, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should.

Yes, it is a big jump. No, it is not impossible. Some can do it in less than 20 hours. Some need more than 20 hours. Ultimately it all boils down to the individuals capabilities.

The ‘staged’ approach is still a perfectly good way to get that C experience before committing to CE.

Well done, OP.

The company I used for both class 2 and and class 1, did an hours assessment drive before tailoring the amount of hours needed to your actual ability.
I don’t understand how this is not the norm.
Driving standards between different people vary hugely.
How can any company state that say 20 hrs is required to pass?

trevorking1964:
How can any company state that say 20 hrs is required to pass?

Most schools have nailed down a set course syllabus that they find works for most. There will always be those who can do it in less time, just like some will need more time.

trevorking1964:
did an hours assessment drive before tailoring the amount of hours needed to your actual ability. I don’t understand how this is not the norm.

A bespoke course for every customer is almost impossible to schedule, especially when you rely heavily on DVSA examiner availability.

That’s exactly what they do deliver. Bespoke amount of hours linked to trainee needs.