Failed my C+E

Just returned home from my c+e test, which I failed… failed it on the reverse, had two shunts n still couldn’t do it, think it might have been my nerves?

Just thinking whether or not to give it up as a bad thing, or to go again?

richcfc1:
Just returned home from my c+e test, which I failed… failed it on the reverse, had two shunts n still couldn’t do it, think it might have been my nerves?

Just thinking whether or not to give it up as a bad thing, or to go again?

Did you do the road drive and what was the outcome of that part?

No, didn’t bother going out on the drive, as I knew I had failed it and didn’t want to continue.

richcfc1:
No, didn’t bother going out on the drive, as I knew I had failed it and didn’t want to continue.

Then how do you expect us to give you an answer to your question when all we have to go on is the reverse bit of the test :question:

My instructor said that there was nothing wrong with my on road skills, just on the reverse I turned the tractor unit too soon after the trailer had turned, (after the initial turning trailer part) if you know what j mean.

richcfc1:
My instructor said that there was nothing wrong with my on road skills, just on the reverse I turned the tractor unit too soon after the trailer had turned, (after the initial turning trailer part) if you know what j mean.

In that case just book another test and do it all as you have paid for it all :smiley:

Agreed. Don’t give up. You might regret it.

Sorry to here your news m8, but don’t give up now.

Don’t give up mate. Failed my class 2 last Wednesday and passed it today. Do it soon whilst u still fresh.

Sorry to hear this Rich-I was thinking about you today because I know you had posted on here yesterday about the reverse.

As others have said-DONT LET IT BEAT YOU. Ask your instructor for your next lesson,to spend a significant amount of it on the reverse,you WILL get it,honestly.

Pick yourself up and dust yourself down. No more talk of pussyism…

were you having FUN doing it ?

eagerbeaver:
Sorry to hear this Rich-I was thinking about you today because I know you had posted on here yesterday about the reverse.

As others have said-DONT LET IT BEAT YOU. Ask your instructor for your next lesson,to spend a significant amount of it on the reverse,you WILL get it,honestly.

Pick yourself up and dust yourself down. No more talk of pussyism…

I am going to go back in for it, and my lesson before the test will be spent on reversing alone.

ROG. Yeh mate I enjoyed every part of it. It’s a brill feeling driving something so big

That’s a bit more like it Rich. Any more of that giving up nonsense and you will have your ■■■■■■■ tweaked.

Erm…I mean a good talking to.

Failed mine on friday… Absalutly gutted to say the least. Went out on the road first… Then my reverse n uncupple… got to serious, first was on coming off m-way onto slip road i idicated right too early… aprently a car thort i was swapping lanes… second was i was doing 50 on dual c-way i slowed to allow a car to join… Unfortunatly the car sat at 40 mph… We were exiting at next exit so i choose not o/take. There for got a serious for stoping distance/ progress.
It booked for next month cant get a retest any sooner… It wont beat me

Rog has nailed it I think - if you are enjoying it then you owe it to yourself to persevere.

Can you reverse a bendy truck? Yes you can.

Do you do it right every time? No you don’t…but then few drivers actually do in the real world. We all muck up reverses from time to time, yours just came at the wrong time.

The test is partly skills, but much of it is luck. This makes all the difference, and yours just ran out on the day, that’s all. Next time your luck may change and you’ll pass, or maybe you won’t. It will take several test failures before you might concede that there is a pattern emerging, and perhaps your skills aren’t up to the task. Until then, the random nature of good/bad luck makes it difficult to say for sure.

Other than money you have nothing to lose.

The daft thing about the reverse is, as soon as we got back to the instructors base we tried a reverse and nailed it first time.

Just some input on what happened when i sat my B+E car/trailer test pprox 1year ago…

during all my training I put the trailer in the designated reverse area 1st time every time no probs at all and was confident on the reverse test

BUT!!

on the day of my actual test I couldnt have possibly made a bigger mess of it if I had tried.

1st attempt I left it too late straightening up and almost touched the line with the cars front wheels,
2nd attempt shunted forward and recut the reverse, this time I cut too early and was never going to make it…arghhhhh…

I though stuff it ive failed already, but decided to pull forward as little as 12inches and retry for the 3rd time ( I know this is not allowed) but what had I got to loose??
anyway on the 3rd attempt i tucked the trailer in nicely…
The examiner (known as a real strict guy at this test centre) got back into the car and his exact words to me were
“care to explain?”
I just told him I was so annoyed with myself as I had always done the reverse 1st time and I could only use nerves as an excuse, that outside these walls I couldnt really have got out of the vehicle and wandered off to the nearest bus stop, leaving my car and trailer in the middle of the road, out there I would have to get it right…

he asked if i would like to carry on and I said aye why not, I may aswell get the experience and tried to make a bit of a joke out of it…

done the test route, bla bla,bla, got back to the test centre and holy **** he passed me…

he said for such a small 3rd shunt it made a huge difference to the lock and he was willing to turn a blind eye, he aslo joked about my valid point of just getting out of a vehicle and dandering of to the nearest bus stop…

My point is, for an examiner known as a mini hitler he gave me the oportunity to point out my error, heard my point of view and understood where i was coming from… still cant believe he passed me, and whats more when I told my instructer what happened, his exact words were “no way, not (examiners name)”… dont think he believes me to this day…

dont give up, you may live to regret it…you got this far… keep at it and best of luck if you decide to give it another shot :slight_smile:

Dont give up and think positive youll get there

Keep trying,don’t lose hope - Never ever give up,persevere ! If it takes 1 0r 10 times ! Keep on keeping on. :wink:

I failed on my reverse like you. Two shunts used and still messed up. But I went out on the drive regardless and enjoyed it. Booked test again and passed. Just don’t let it get to you. Keep positive.