Failed LGV (2nd time)

Last week I faild my LGV for the second time due to a few things. I am going to try again but need to find finance for it.

Can I check peoples opinions on the following?

a) My instructor recons the industry isn’t what it was. He would not be a driver now because no one wants to get out of bed for the money that is paid each week (£300).

b) He recons that there won’t be any driving jobs for british drivers, in about 10 years, due to work being given to foreigners and lorry companies running from abroad.

b) He said that people who pass are not good enough to drive commercially. Then I ask how does anyone get experience? It’s not like learning to drive a car.

c) Does anyone know how to get free training? I am coming up to 6 months out of work and signed on at the job centre. I have a house / mortgage, wife and two children. I have heard that people do get free training but I don’t know what qualifies one for it. Surely I qualify for it, don’t I?

Thanks for reading my waffling on.

I can’t comment on the first three because it is all a matter of opinion.

However, on the last point, every Benefits office holds what they call a “Discretionary Fund”. Not many people are aware of it and you certainly wont read about it.

If you are already on benefits, then on your next visit take along your failure sheets together with a written quote from your trainer for the cost of a re-test. In the meantime make a list of all the job opportunities available in your area for the class you are taking. Check local newspapers, etc. Also speak to any agencies and try and get something in writing to the effect that when you pass, they will be able to find you employment.

If you do your homework properly, and go along with convincing proposals, then you may find that they will pay for the test.

Best of luck.

Good luck Nick :smiley:

I reckon your instructor is a fool to be honest telling you things like there wont be any jobs in 10 years, thats one way of losing his own job as people will just take there training money elsewhere :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

simon

Krankee:
However, on the last point, every Benefits office holds what they call a “Discretionary Fund”. Not many people are aware of it and you certainly wont read about it.

If you are already on benefits, then on your next visit take along your failure sheets together with a written quote from your trainer for the cost of a re-test. In the meantime make a list of all the job opportunities available in your area for the class you are taking. Check local newspapers, etc. Also speak to any agencies and try and get something in writing to the effect that when you pass, they will be able to find you employment.

We have had dealings with this fund with people looking to join our Kleeneze business. Although it is a good scheme, the rules for A.D.F. (adviser discretionary fund) have changed recently. I think it is only limited to £100 now.

Another option that was offered to me was a scheme where by you take and pay for your class 2, you then study for your cpc (my training provider provided the david lowe book. heavy reading) and take the exams. Then the govt pay for your class 1.

However there is a time limit, you have to do the cpc and class 1 training within a year of passing your class 2

hope this helps

a) My instructor recons the industry isn’t what it was. He would not be a driver now because no one wants to get out of bed for the money that is paid each week (£300).

b) He recons that there won’t be any driving jobs for british drivers, in about 10 years, due to work being given to foreigners and lorry companies running from abroad.

b) He said that people who pass are not good enough to drive commercially. Then I ask how does anyone get experience? It’s not like learning to drive a car.

Seems like a bit of a pratt if he’s telling his customers that. It’s Like Gerald Ratner tell his customers his products were crap.

dennisw1:

Seems like a bit of a pratt if he’s telling his customers that. It’s Like Gerald Ratner tell his customers his products were crap.

That’s what I was thinking too, he sounds very negative and perhaps not even bothered about the job he’s doing. Having said that best of luck Nick :slight_smile:

Completely at odds with what I was told a couple of weeks ago, speaking to a freelance instructor who made out that he makes pretty much the same training (contracted to another company) or driving - training the hours are nicer. One of the other instructors I spoke to told me that he used to do Euro / Africa runs as that was were the money was, but now he can make the same sort of money staying in the UK.

I know when i was on the dole ( a full 6weeks) i was offered my psv training.I already had class1,but what happen’s is they have their own trg company that they work with( ie send ppl from dole q).the company that trains you pay half and the job centre pay the other half.And the training company get’s a fund from the goverment for their troubles.Won’t hurt to ask them will it :question: :wink:

Nick:
Last week I faild my LGV for the second time due to a few things. I am going to try again but need to find finance for it.

Can I check peoples opinions on the following?

c) Does anyone know how to get free training? I am coming up to 6 months out of work and signed on at the job centre. I have a house / mortgage, wife and two children. I have heard that people do get free training but I don’t know what qualifies one for it. Surely I qualify for it, don’t I?

Thanks for reading my waffling on.

a) I was earning £300 a week back in 1995. Last year I earned £25k. I’m currently on £9/hr and I’m in Hull.
b) Yeah right. Its one of the most secure jobs there is because as long as people buy things, eat food, need clothes and a house to live in, there’ll be a need for lorries. If foreign drivers were coming, they’d be here NOW as they’re freely allowed to come here. Where are they? I’ve seen the odd one or two but that’s it.
c) He’s right as you don’t know much but what he then neglected to tell you is you then go on to learn. Do you think we all had this sudden magical ability to rope and sheet, use ratchet straps, use tankers etc as soon as we passed our tests? I’ve been driving 13 years. I’ve still alot to learn.
c) Good luck is all I’ll say.

It sounds to me that it’s the failings of your instructor rather than youself. It sounds as though he’s either not interested or batting his time out to retirement. It sounds just like one I had. I then changed instructors and test centres. Result. Have a look at the sticky at the top of the page, entitled funding for training, it could be you, then hassle the jobcentre like mad. I’m sure I’ve heard of someone on here who’s been down that route, but can’t remember who. I got to that stage and passed on my third test. Good luck with the future :wink:.