Failed C+E test

I failed my C+E today on a serious fault.
Not using a bus lane when it was open on my independant drive.

When following the instructions the examiner gave to follow the signs, I missed the first sign, I could have moved over into the bus lane which was open, but stayed on the right hand side because I thought I was turning right, then noticing the sign was telling me to go left at the junction, I moved safetly into the bus lane. There was no traffic on my inside or in the bus lane for that matter, I thought you couldnt take a wrong turn on an independant drive?

My re-sit is on the 4th April and I do believe that the test pad area I took my test on is going to be made smaller on the 26th March.
I think this is happening all over the country.

Sorry to hear that mate but i did just the oposite on my First CE test was training all week on afternoons bus lane was open then a morning test bus lane was shut but like you I missed the first sighn so went into it uhhhh
:open_mouth: easy done but i didnt make the same expencive mistake twice … Best of luck on the next test mate .
Regards Roy …

Wow! It seems a bit harsh to make that a “serious” :open_mouth:

I would have thought that would be a minor, unless it had led to am incident - which it didn’t on your test.

That’s really bad luck, I am sorry for you!

Good luck in your retest.

Perhaps some of our LGV instructors on here could give some more examples of “serious” faults.

LoadsOfHorses:
Wow! It seems a bit harsh to make that a “serious” :open_mouth:

I thought that too. Sorry to hear about the fail.

Hard luck with your test result, I know the feeling well.
Hope all goes well for you on the next test. At least that is one error you won’t comit again :slight_smile:
Alan

If I’ve understood the OP correctly, the fault was in not using a part time bus lane when it was available for all traffic. The reason for this being a serious fault is that you are driving along in the middle of the road for no reason. It could encourage other drivers to pass on your left (yes, I know they shouldn’t) and it demonstrates lack of observation of road signs.

So far as going the wrong way on an independent drive, we are led to believe that this wouldn’t matter provided it was done properly. ie. correct signals, lanes etc.

Hope this helps and apologies if I’ve not understood the OP correctly.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

We have the same type of lane in London Rd, Chelmsford. It is only a bus lane between 7am-10am then again 4pm-7pm. The rest of the time it is just the left hand lane of the road. Very awkward when we have an early morning test and a later test on the same course as each candidate has different instructions to follow.

Beyond doubt the examiner will fail anyone not using the “bus lane” between 10am and 4pm. Why would you drive down the right hand lane with cars passing nearside.

If you miss the sign showing the times you are in trouble. It doesn’t really matter if there is traffic on the left or not, there might have been. Did he mark you for Lane Discipline or Traffic Signs ?

KEY POINT: - Read every road sign throughout the whole test with great care. Not reading even 1 might cost you a test as in this unfortunate case.

As Peter says taking the wrong direction during the Independant drive should not be problem so long as you use the correct procedure for where you do go, but this is not the case for you.

As for the change to the reversing area cant speak for the whole country but ours changes from next Monday, 26th March. It will not be a problem.

Did he mark you for Lane Discipline or Traffic Signs ?

Would be marked as Position normal driving by our examiners. Not that it matters - a fail is a fail.

I agree about the new reversing area; I’ve been using it for 6 months and it’s no problem. If anyone needs a retest and the area has changed they should make sure they have practice beforehand.

The worst vehicles are minibuses as B cone is very close to the garage. But it’s perfectly possible to complete with care.

Not got my hands on a “proper” artic to try it but I predict more use of the shunts than has been previously the case.

Certainly it’s very easy with W+D. Took 25 minutes to train someone on Monday to test standard. Never touched a trailer before. Has completed another 8 today with no problem. So not a fluke.

Good luck all. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks to Peter and John for the clarification.

It’s always good to know the “why?” !

:sunglasses:

Pleased to help, and I’m sure I speak for John as well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Very slightly off topic. i drove in a bus lane at 7.47pm last night. The bus lanes operational hours are 7am to 7pm. At the end a message board flashed up my reg number as having comited a bus lane offence. I think the only offence was on the part of Wolverhampton council for not changing the clock to British summer time.

What a joke that DSA examiners fail a driver for not using a bus lane when not in operation when millions of car drivers do it every day.
Bus lanes are flawed especially in Edinburgh, they cause bottle necks where roads narrow and even delay buses.

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?12bd4n
It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.
Paaaaarrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy