Failed c+e test due to cyclist

Failed my class 1 test today because of a cyclist i dont think the examiner was fair about what happened so opinions on this matter please:

Basically he asked me to turn right at the first mini roundabout and follow the road ahead for the second mini roundabout (two mini roundabouts very close together) as i went right at the first there was some roadworks going on at the approach to the right lane (ahead) but it was clear to go in the right lane just after the roadworks, So i used the left lane to pass the roadworks then pulled into the right lane which was ahead only,

There was enough room before the roundabout to fit the truck in but not enough road to get the trailer totally straight, So it was tilted slightly although there was enough room for traffic coming down the nearside to get past and turn left, At this point i can see most of trailer but theres a big blindspot there,

I pull off to go straight ahead when safe and as the trailer comes in straight i notice this cyclist riding down the left turn only lane and coming straight ahead, I knew he was going to ride up the blind side so i slow right down to crawling speed to let him pass, once he had ridding off i increased speed and continued,

Once back to the test centre the tester failed me on awareness he told me he seen the cyclist from where he was sitting but he was clearly in my blindspot and not to mention the lane to turn left only but he rode straight ahead

There was nothing i could of done as he was totaly out of sight and i believe that once he did appear in my mirror id say slowing down and letting him pass was the right thing to do?

Ive been told to appeal the test but to be honest its not gonna change the result, All i can say is cyclists that ride up a trucks blind side deserve everything they get they only have themselves to blame.

It’s unfortunate, and you feel bad right now but remember that the examiner has had literally hundreds and hundreds of tests, maybe even thousands, and they may sometimes get something wrong. But if you think about it rationally I’m sure you’d agree you would be in a tiny minority if your examiner had called it wrong in the given situation.

Chin up. You’ll crack it next time.

Yeah I bet you’re really frustrated, but as you already know, it’s pointless fighting it…

Just crack it next time pal! :smiley:

In fairness sounds a tricky one. Can you remember what the examiner said at the debrief and was your trainer present for that.

There is no appeal against a decision so forget that. I would be interested in what he said though.

LGVTrainer:
In fairness sounds a tricky one. Can you remember what the examiner said at the debrief and was your trainer present for that.

There is no appeal against a decision so forget that. I would be interested in what he said though.

He told me “he seen the cyclist” (maybe if he looked over his left shoulder yes) and that if id of been more aware of his actions id of seen how narrow the road would of became for him as the kerb was sticking further out (driving into under a bridge) his words were “you almost killed the guy” seemed harsh to me as i said he was in my blindspot,

I didnt allow my trainer in at the debrief but he did ask.

All i can say is cyclists that ride up a trucks blind side deserve everything they get they only have themselves to blame.
[/quote]
Your attitude is already ■■■■ poor.

Driving tests are only partly about your skills, the rest is down to luck on the day. Unfortunately on your day luck wasn’t on your side. Only one opinion matters - the examiner’s. Whatever you might think about it he failed you and you have to find a way to pick yourself up, learn from the experience and move on.

Every time you make a mistake, or even better, when you nearly make a mistake, file it away somewhere and never do it again. That’s how you become a better and better driver. Hopefully you’ll never be caught out by a blindside cyclist again, and that’s surely a good thing. Be grateful your mistake wasn’t to actually kill them, only to almost kill them…allegedly. At least you live to truck another day.

Fingers crossed for better luck on your retest.

ORC:
Driving tests are only partly about your skills, the rest is down to luck on the day. Unfortunately on your day luck wasn’t on your side. Only one opinion matters - the examiner’s. Whatever you might think about it he failed you and you have to find a way to pick yourself up, learn from the experience and move on.

Every time you make a mistake, or even better, when you nearly make a mistake, file it away somewhere and never do it again. That’s how you become a better and better driver. Hopefully you’ll never be caught out by a blindside cyclist again, and that’s surely a good thing. Be grateful your mistake wasn’t to actually kill them, only to almost kill them…allegedly. At least you live to truck another day.

Fingers crossed for better luck on your retest.

Thank you i have beat myself up about it but as you have said, you learn from it

Hard for the driver in a situation where theres such big blindspots all i can do is try again, I passed everything 1st time through my class 2, CPC, Theory etc…so i think ive been a bit hard on myself exspecting another 1st time pass,

Be safe out there!

Tony Saprano:
All i can say is cyclists that ride up a trucks blind side deserve everything they get they only have themselves to blame.

Your attitude is already ■■■■ poor.
[/quote]
Excuse me but im entitled to an opinion and thats mine,

I would never wish anyone to get hurt in anyway but if a cyclist is gonna ride up a 44ton trucks blindside when theres clearly stickers on the rear of the trailer warning them not too then YES they only have themselves to blame!

Ive seen them do it when a truck is sitting at a red light to turn left and they still ride up there blindside,

A bit of common sense is all it takes.

Some cyclists with their lack of accountability and delusions of supremacy are one of the biggest hazards on the road especially in major cities.

Our unwritten duty is to protect them, in most cases from themselves, it matters not whose in the right or who is to blame.

Just jumping on my high horse for a second :wink:

Best of luck with your retest.

You’re absolutely right about the big blindspots - they’re HUGE on an artic, because you lose all mirror vision down the sides as soon as you put a bend on. Rigids are relatively simple on that front because you’ve always got side vision in your mirrors…not with an artic.

You’ve also got two rear ends to worry about. Not only where your trailer is headed (including the far corner you can’t see), but also where is the back of your cab going? You’ll be so busy concentrating on the trailer that you’ll catch the back of your cab on something, or tear your mirror off.

And if that isn’t enough, just when you think you’ve pulled it forward round a tight corner safely and been careful to watch the trailer cutting in, you’ll suddenly find the front edge of the trailer has caught a gatepost, fence or something because it is sticking out further than the cab’s path round the corner.

Oh, and once you’ve figured all those hazards out, you’ll discover the delights of a tail-swing accident where the far corner that you can’t see gauges down the side of a car, trailer or something else as it swings out and round.

That’s why C+E drivers should be respected as skilled professionals. Good luck to you!

Dipper_Dave:
Some cyclists with their lack of accountability and delusions of supremacy are one of the biggest hazards on the road especially in major cities.

Our unwritten duty is to protect them, in most cases from themselves, it matters not whose in the right or who is to blame.

Nail on head there. Let’s hope the OP learns this sooner rather than later.

Tony Saprano:

Dipper_Dave:

I suspect the OP was just venting mate, as we all would after feeling that a cyclist being silly just cost him his test.
Doubt very much it’s anymore than that…

Evil8Beezle:

Tony Saprano:

Dipper_Dave:

I suspect the OP was just venting mate, as we all would after feeling that a cyclist being silly just cost him his test.

I hope that is the case. What concerns me is how he behaves around cyclists in the future. Some of them are absolute bellends. But so are motorbikers, car drivers, truck drivers… You get my drift.

Remember cyclists are god end of story.

Tony Saprano:

Evil8Beezle:

Tony Saprano:

Dipper_Dave:

I hope that is the case. What concerns me is how he behaves around cyclists in the future. Some of them are absolute bellends. But so are motorbikers, car drivers, truck drivers… You get my drift.

“How he behaves around cyclists” I dont go out looking for cyclists to run down you know, i dont get what you mean with that qoute,

I dont have an issue with cyclists i understand some are more cautious than others, i just wish they could see it from a truck drivers point of view.

My concern wasn’t necessarily how you behaved around cyclists. My concern was how you would behave around any type of road user in the future after you’d blamed them for failing your test.

Tony Saprano:
My concern wasn’t necessarily how you behaved around cyclists. My concern was how you would behave around any type of road user in the future after you’d blamed them for failing your test.

Sounds to me that you dont know what your talking about, do you even have a truck licence? Other truck drivers know exactly what i mean, You properly drive a transit van.

TruckerAds:

Tony Saprano:

Sounds to me that you dont know what your talking about, do you even have a truck licence? Other truck drivers know exactly what i mean, You properly drive a transit van.

I’ve had my HGV licence for 11 years so I’m fairly sure what I’m on about. My point was that you would resent any road user that you saw as the cause to you failing your test which would affect the way you behaved around them whilst driving a 44 tonne truck. Sorry to p1ss on your chips pal but I’m more than experienced to know how a lot of drivers behave out on the road.

Did you overtake the cyclist on the approach to the first roundabout?