Failed C + E! Retest booked!

Hey guys,

Took my C+E test yesterday,I nailed the Reverse which I was happy with as id really been struggling with it through the course,I just could not get it right in my head but thanks to the excellent trainers at PSTT it all clicked towards the end.

Couple and Uncouple/safety checks couldn’t have gone better either so it was time to go out on the road,my favourite part.

The drive was ok but not my best due to being a bit nervous and maybe a little over confident as I was worried about the reverse more than anything.

I came away with 5 minors,mainly for going a little too fast through the town and forgetting to signal at times.

It was the one serious fault that failed me,upon coming up to a pedestrian crossing which was flashing AMBER I had a total brain ■■■■ and kept on going where I should have stopped as the examiner stated there was more than enough time to do so.

Annoying as it was it was in the last 5 minutes of the test on the way to the centre! The examiner was really fair and said that my driving on the whole was really good,to please let it not put me off and to put in for a retest ASAP which I have done.

Four weeks tomorrow Ill be sitting that retest and hopefully nail it this time.

Many thanks to everyone at PSTT for their support and encouragement and to Tracey for fitting me into a slot for a restest :smiley:

As failures go, your retest should be no problem, it’s the brain ■■■■ that’s the concern, as there may be no second chances at some point… But I’m sure it was just nerves mate, and they are the enemy for probably most people on the test, it’s probably why some fail in a manual! :wink: (See another thread…)

Best of luck next time! :smiley:

P.S. If the training was great, credit that person.
I know it wasn’t Pete, he’s overdosing on free coffee! :laughing:

Gotta be more to the serious fault than that, if the lights are flashing you can proceed, with caution, was someone on the crossing?
Did they start flashing just as you reached them and you hadn’t reacted to the solid red?

Hussar:
Gotta be more to the serious fault than that, if the lights are flashing you can proceed, with caution, was someone on the crossing?
Did they start flashing just as you reached them and you hadn’t reacted to the solid red?

Anticipation mate!

Hussar:

I don’t think so,the examiner told me they were flashing amber and I still proceeded. There was people waiting next to the crossing though but they were staying put on the pavement,I assumed they’d only just got there after the lights changed. Big mistake though!

Evil8Beezle:
it’s the brain ■■■■ that’s the concern, as there may be no second chances at some point

Not sure what you mean by that?

Gotta say i was a little nervous but no overly so,it was a great drive except for that part.

GhostRider17:

Evil8Beezle:
it’s the brain ■■■■ that’s the concern, as there may be no second chances at some point

i think i was more nervous towards the end as the drive was going so well lol.

GhostRider17:

Evil8Beezle:

Gotta say i was a little nervous but no overly so,it was a great drive except for that part.

My guess is that the examiner was concerned/unsure about your ability to take evasive action in a situation that may have merited it. I’m not saying he is right, and I wasn’t there. Move on and nail it next time! :smiley:
My input on that aspect, was to provoke the thought of “what could have happened”, hence why I also said anticipation… i.e. A truck doesn’t stop quick, and you can’t throw one around. So reading the signs/indicators of developing situations is ever more prevalent, and POSSIBLY what defined that incident as a major to the examiner!

I’m not saying I am right, as it’s all conjecture pal, so don’t stress it…

It was the one serious fault that failed me,upon coming up to a pedestrian crossing which was flashing AMBER I had a total brain ■■■■ and kept on going where I should have stopped as the examiner stated there was more than enough time to do so.

Horlicks mate …When the amber lights are flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber lights is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution

So in that situation if you had eased off your speed, then it wouldn’t have been a major… even still cant see how you can get marked a major for it anyway…typical examiner BS

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

Evil8Beezle:

My guess is that the examiner was concerned/unsure about your ability to take evasive action in a situation that may have merited it. I’m not saying he is right, and I wasn’t there. Move on and nail it next time! :smiley:
My input on that aspect, was to provoke the thought of “what could have happened”, hence why I also said anticipation… i.e. A truck doesn’t stop quick, and you can’t throw one around. So reading the signs/indicators of developing situations is ever more prevalent, and POSSIBLY what defined that incident as a major to the examiner!

I’m not saying I am right, as it’s all conjecture pal, so don’t stress it…

Ah i get what you meant now. Least Ill know for next time,its all experience.

Swampey2418:

Horlicks mate …When the amber lights are flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber lights is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution

So in that situation if you had eased off your speed, then it wouldn’t have been a major… even still cant see how you can get marked a major for it anyway…typical examiner BS

Well there was DEFINITELY no pedestrians on the crossing,I really would have slowed and stopped if there was. I think that would have been marked down as a dangerous fault if there was.

Well it does make me feel a whole lot better now I know I maybe shouldn’t have gotten the serious fault for it that cost me the test,thats sarcasm there in case it wasnt picked up lol.

No point even attempting to argue the decision though,best just to crack on and hopefully nail it next time,kind of annoying as it was a good drive other than that bar the minors. Hope it hasn’t damaged my confidence too much though. I passed my Class C first time so I know I’m not totally useless at least :laughing:

Nearly forgot,I wanted to say that Chris was my trainer for the week who was excellent throughout and a great support. Also Nick who covered for Chris for one day of my training,great bloke and offered some sound advice. I really felt confident and ready for the test by the end of the course once id nailed the reversing.

You’ve more chance of sewing a button on a ■■■■ than getting the result changed, so forget it as it’s counter productive to the end goal!
All you can do is learn from a failure, so getting as much information from the examiner on WHY is probably the best plan for those that don’t join the “elite” double first timer passer club! :wink:

Don’t let it knock your confidence & best of luck on the retest! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
You’ve more chance of sewing a button on a ■■■■ than getting the result changed, so forget it as it’s counter productive to the end goal!
All you can do is learn from a failure, so getting as much information from the examiner on WHY is probably the best plan for those that don’t join the “elite” double first timer passer club! :wink:

Don’t let it knock your confidence & best of luck on the retest! :smiley:

Oh yeah I knew there’s no chance whatsover on getting the result changed,that never even crossed my mind.

Wish Id have spoke to the examiner more now though but hey ho,I should know better at my age than to not question a government official lol,that’s just how this crazy world works.

Just hoping i can drive as well on my retest,I’m booked in for an hours warm up before the test so fingers crossed!

GhostRider17:

Hussar:

I don’t think so,the examiner told me they were flashing amber and I still proceeded. There was people waiting next to the crossing though but they were staying put on the pavement,I assumed they’d only just got there after the lights changed. Big mistake though!

The way you are describing it you didn’t do anything wrong so I can only assume the way you are describing it isn’t completely accurate. Perhaps your speed was too high on the approach to what was a hazard.

You have talked about your speed being too high at times. That’s not a mistake, that’s stupidity. Have a word with yourself and take it steady. It’s not race, it’s a test to get around safely. If you’re in a town centre and it’s 30 that’s not your target speed, it’s your maximum speed. Use your common sense and only aim for getting up to speed when it’s appropriate to do so.

Good luck next time, and don’t do it again in your test, nor once you’ve passed. You’ve gotta understand that it’s very dangerous to speed, especially when you’re inexperienced. If you race through a town, and a kid steps out in front of you, and you’ve got a lot of weight on, you ain’t gonna stop. Think about it.

Putting myself in the examiners shoes if I had a learner who broke the speed limit on a test I would find an excuse to fail him, even if the actual speeding is classed as a minor, for the simple reason that I would be terrified of letting an inexperienced driver loose on the road knowing full well he would jump in a truck and drive it like a côont.

Tris:

GhostRider17:

Hussar:

The way you are describing it you didn’t do anything wrong so I can only assume the way you are describing it isn’t completely accurate. Perhaps your speed was too high on the approach to what was a hazard.

You have talked about your speed being too high at times. That’s not a mistake, that’s stupidity. Have a word with yourself and take it steady. It’s not race, it’s a test to get around safely. If you’re in a town centre and it’s 30 that’s not your target speed, it’s your maximum speed. Use your common sense and only aim for getting up to speed when it’s appropriate to do so.

Good luck next time, and don’t do it again in your test, nor once you’ve passed. You’ve gotta understand that it’s very dangerous to speed, especially when you’re inexperienced. If you race through a town, and a kid steps out in front of you, and you’ve got a lot of weight on, you ain’t gonna stop. Think about it.

Putting myself in the examiners shoes if I had a learner who broke the speed limit on a test I would find an excuse to fail him, even if the actual speeding is classed as a minor, for the simple reason that I would be terrified of letting an inexperienced driver loose on the road knowing full well he would jump in a truck and drive it like a côont.

Thanks for your input mate. Though you make it sound like I was bombing around town with a rocket up my ■■■. I’m very aware of the weight of the lorry and if anything I’m extremely paranoid through town when kids and pedestrians are around.

Of course its very dangerous to speed,especially around town in a lorry. At no point was I actually speeding,that would have been really stupid but it was raining on the day so I really shouldn’t have worried about progression at all.

I’m assuming I increased speed when I saw flashing amber and assumed the pedestrians wouldn’t move,when I should have thought some may try to jump the lights especially if a slow moving vehicle is coming up. As a pedestrian I’ve done it countless times.

The examiner did say it was a great drive otherwise and I can pass the test easily so he recommended I put in for it again asap,which i have done. He was a really fair bloke.

GhostRider17:

Tris:

GhostRider17:

Hussar:

Thanks for your input mate. Though you make it sound like I was bombing around town with a rocket up my ■■■. I’m very aware of the weight of the lorry and if anything I’m extremely paranoid through town when kids and pedestrians are around.

Of course its very dangerous to speed,especially around town in a lorry. At no point was I actually speeding,that would have been really stupid but it was raining on the day so I really shouldn’t have worried about progression at all.

I’m assuming I increased speed when I saw flashing amber and assumed the pedestrians wouldn’t move,when I should have thought some may try to jump the lights especially if a slow moving vehicle is coming up. As a pedestrian I’ve done it countless times.

The examiner did say it was a great drive otherwise and I can pass the test easily so he recommended I put in for it again asap,which i have done. He was a really fair bloke.

Apologies. On that account it sounds like you were hard done by. Hopefully you get a better examiner next time.

[/quote]
Apologies. On that account it sounds like you were hard done by. Hopefully you get a better examiner next time.
[/quote]
No worries fella,I took no offence.

I didn’t think the examiner was bad at all,I just wish I’d have spoken to him more about why I failed.

Hopefully I’ll crack it next time though,if not I may consider giving up at some point,i can’t keep retaking the test as at the end of the day it does cost more money and my mortgage has to come first. Will see how it goes though.

GhostRider17:

[/quote]
No worries fella,I took no offence.

I didn’t think the examiner was bad at all,I just wish I’d have spoken to him more about why I failed.

Hopefully I’ll crack it next time though,if not I may consider giving up at some point,i can’t keep retaking the test as at the end of the day it does cost more money and my mortgage has to come first. Will see how it goes though.
[/quote]
If it comes to it a good small general haulier will take you on in a ridgid and put you through your class 1.

Cheers for that mate,its worth bearing mind if i fail the next couple of tests,will see how it goes though.