Failed C+E on reverse

I failed my C+E on the reverse earlier this week because I did not go back far enough, I got out to have a look and I thought I was fine but I guess in the nerves of the test I had a brain ■■■■ and forgot you had to be IN the box not lined up with it, if I had remembered that I would have gotten back in the truck and reversed another 2 inches and passed the test. At the end of the test I had 1 serious because I was not in the cross hatched box, I was lined up with the first black line of the box, I was perfectly straight and had even distance between the cones, no shunts taken to get in but I was I guess 1-2 inches too far forward and that counted as an instant failure before I had even left the ■■■■■■■ yard. Instant failure for something so stupid and pedantic is ridiculous in my opinion, if anything give a minor for every inch out of the box you are because surely someone needing to drive forward 20 ft and shunt in to the bay is worse than someone being 1 inch too far forward when clearly they got out, looked and deemed their position appropriate.
I feel like the test is just a stupid game and you just have to play by the silly rules and hope your examiner is not too ■■■■ and will give you some leeway because it is ALL about their opinion. I failed with 1 serious which was the reverse and 4 minors so 5 total faults, the minors were appropriate speed and hesitation on roundabouts. I feel very ■■■■■■ off about it, now I have to waste more time waiting for a test date and more money just to do the same ■■■■ all over again but this time go backwards 2 inches further…

■■■■ these tests rant over

as far as im aware mate you can stop, parkbrake on,neutral, switch off, get out of the truck and check the distance behind the truck to ensure you are within the 75cm hatch markings, also mate the cone within the bay closest to the truck should be positioned 12m away from the barrier, before your test if you get to practice align the truck within the box and pick a marker on the vehicle that is easily identifiable from within the cab that will align to that cone, then you will have a better estimate of where to stop.

Got to have just been a brain ■■■■. Really really unlucky though.

I did my Cat c reverse, knew I was in but went to get out and check. Examiner said no need to bother but I still insisted on getting out and looking anyway lol

Good on you for going out on the road drive - many give up after failing the reverse - assuming you did the reverse first

I totally understand the OP’s frustration - and, to a point, I agree that the system may just have let him down. I can see that he is possibly more competent than someone who’s had a shunt or two. But, sadly, that’s how it works.

But this is a bit harsh

I feel like the test is just a stupid game and you just have to play by the silly rules and hope your examiner is not too ■■■■ and will give you some leeway because it is ALL about their opinion.

… and not quite factual.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
Good on you for going out on the road drive - many give up after failing the reverse - assuming you did the reverse first

From reading it Rog I don’t think he had realised he had not gone back far enough so assumed he was still on for a pass when he left the yard

NickW88:

ROG:

From reading it Rog I don’t think he had realised he had not gone back far enough so assumed he was still on for a pass when he left the yard

That is correct, I thought I had nailed the reverse and left the yard feeling 100% for the drive. :imp:

Sounds stupid but I can just imagine how ■■■■■■ off you must feel. If anything in the fail position I’d rather have failed on something like I did on C like too close to parked cars than the reverse manoeuvre. The only positive you can take is that you clearly can drive and would have passed so the next go should come that bit easier

olip:
I failed my C+E on the reverse earlier this week because I did not go back far enough, I got out to have a look and I thought I was fine but I guess in the nerves of the test I had a brain ■■■■ and forgot you had to be IN the box not lined up with it, if I had remembered that I would have gotten back in the truck and reversed another 2 inches and passed the test. At the end of the test I had 1 serious because I was not in the cross hatched box, I was lined up with the first black line of the box, I was perfectly straight and had even distance between the cones, no shunts taken to get in but I was I guess 1-2 inches too far forward and that counted as an instant failure before I had even left the [zb] yard. Instant failure for something so stupid and pedantic is ridiculous in my opinion, if anything give a minor for every inch out of the box you are because surely someone needing to drive forward 20 ft and shunt in to the bay is worse than someone being 1 inch too far forward when clearly they got out, looked and deemed their position appropriate.
I feel like the test is just a stupid game and you just have to play by the silly rules and hope your examiner is not too ■■■■ and will give you some leeway because it is ALL about their opinion. I failed with 1 serious which was the reverse and 4 minors so 5 total faults, the minors were appropriate speed and hesitation on roundabouts. I feel very ■■■■■■ off about it, now I have to waste more time waiting for a test date and more money just to do the same [zb] all over again but this time go backwards 2 inches further…

[zb] these tests rant over

Yeah, thats what it is mate…

If your school didnt show you “trick” to do this they are not worth your money :wink:
If school shows you the trick and does their job ok or properly this is easiest part of test :wink:

Totally agree with you. If it was an otherwise competent drive you would like to think common sense would prevail and the examiner pass you. But no of course not! Very frustrating for you, I can only sympathise.

I suppose arranging reverse at end of test would be better.

As we hear on this site all time even experienced drivers don’t always get it right.

If all instructors had to be approved and therefore have to abide by a code of conduct you could take the reverse out of the test and instructor has to submit to examiner evidence that trainee has had a certain number of hours reverse training (off road exercise and real world reversing).

I see where you are coming from but if you did that with the reverse you’d just get rid of the entire test and have the instructor sight you off as competent in all aspects so there would be no need for a test.

ive been saying for years that that is the way to go!

Bad luck mate, it is a faff for those extra few inches but if it wasn’t that it could have been other stuff on the drive.

I failed mine first time for hesitating on a roundabout when back in the real world I’d have gone and made my own space, on the test I hung about not wanting to offend anyone and that resulted it me going too slowly.

Yours is far more frustrating as it was so easily fixed but nevertheless you have to do it right for the whole time and you knew the rules when you were shown them.

I expect there are a lot of people in your position, little tap on the back posts must also be a grinder.

At least you know you’ll be OK after you get it next time.