Failed c+e advice please

Radar19:
Having driven the artic at Peter Smythe I can tell you the brakes are all or nothing.

I thought my Cat C truck was like that. Until I got used to it. I drive artics now and the brakes are pretty much the same as my car. Nice and progressive. Some trucks are different though but you get used to them eventually.

Having driven the artic at Peter Smythe I can tell you the brakes are all or nothing

There’s a couple of reasons why this is the common “early on” sensation. Firstly, there’s 5 axles braking instead of 2 that most folks are just about used to. Secondly, the outfit only weighs around 21 tonnes and the brakes are designed to cope with in excess of 40 tonnes. But, as you say, you get used to it and quite quickly.

Oh and it rolls back

Trucks do. This is because, strictly speaking, they’re not actually automatic. They are fitted with the same manual gearbox as any manual truck but also have a clever box of tricks attached to change the gear for you. There is also a clutch but no pedal with which to operate it. The correct term for these “autos” is AMT which is Automated Manual Transmission. There is no creep as you experience with an automatic car. But hill starts are a doddle. Just apply light pressure to the “go” pedal and release the park brake. The computer will sort it out and you’ll go forwards. Some trucks are fitted with hill hold but no need as this is so easy.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: