Failed agaaaain!

Noremac:
If you passed the uncoupling / coupling the first time, it is understandable that this wasn’t made a priority in the limited time you probably had for practice.

For the next time, obviously know where the catch is.

If you are worried about the king pin not engaging:

1. Make sure the release handle is out (it should be).
  2. Make sure the fifth wheel is in contact with the trailer and near enough horizontal. Get out and raise the suspension a couple of inches to make sure, even so the legs are off the ground
  3. If you have done the above and you are in alignment, then don’t be afraid to give it some welly. The fifth wheel has a V like cut out so any slight miss-aim will be corrected. If you have raised the suspension so the landing legs are off the ground (or at least most of the weight is off them), these are not going to be damaged by coming back with some force and even being slightly out of line.

If by some weird chance you cannot get the clip in, you may have a partial engagement. If you are tentative with coming back this may be more likely to happen. In this case, pull the release handle out, draw forward and come back again.

The tug tests are also a must I believe, so don’t leave these out.

Thanks Noramac

Stop being a ■■■■.
And engage you’re brain.
You know what to do so bloody do it.

I know that feeling mate. I felt like being sick everytime I approached the test centre and then again waiting for the examiner after the warm up lesson.I Stuck the test on the third attempt so don’t worry you will do it as no one could have been a bigger bag of nerves than me. I always got the word BLACK in my head for the uncouple re couple outlet for the test to push through the nerves and make sure it was all done right.
Brake (trailer), legs, airlines, clip, kingpin
For unhook then reverse it for hookup.
Keep the word in your head and you won’t go wrong.
I’m out driving with a buddy now as my work took me straight on and boy oh boy is it an eye opener.

Listen to Whale song the night before and try tantric breathing, be in Nirvana very quickly :sunglasses:

After having failed class 1 three time I’ve just failed cat. D. Things are going worse as during training I hit a car. My confidence went out of window. Sometimes I think I shoudn’t be even driving a car…
10 mins into the test and I got 2 serious and 5 minors…

ROG:
Have you tried KALMS :question:

To Rog and everyone else on here who have helped, advised and guided, thank you verrrrry, much y’all.

I finally passed today the …the Class 1 Yayy! It only took me five attempts!!!

Newbie 1:

Noremac:
If you passed the uncoupling / coupling the first time, it is understandable that this wasn’t made a priority in the limited time you probably had for practice.

For the next time, obviously know where the catch is.

If you are worried about the king pin not engaging:

1. Make sure the release handle is out (it should be).
  2. Make sure the fifth wheel is in contact with the trailer and near enough horizontal. Get out and raise the suspension a couple of inches to make sure, even so the legs are off the ground
  3. If you have done the above and you are in alignment, then don’t be afraid to give it some welly. The fifth wheel has a V like cut out so any slight miss-aim will be corrected. If you have raised the suspension so the landing legs are off the ground (or at least most of the weight is off them), these are not going to be damaged by coming back with some force and even being slightly out of line.

If by some weird chance you cannot get the clip in, you may have a partial engagement. If you are tentative with coming back this may be more likely to happen. In this case, pull the release handle out, draw forward and come back again.

The tug tests are also a must I believe, so don’t leave these out.

Thanks Noramac

Impasses yesterday Yayy.
Thank for that advice
. I did the coupling uncoupling as a separate test called A3 or something…can I just add for other candidates for the test coupling/uncoupling: Your instructor will tell you this - On the uncouple, if the…King Pin handle jams, / won’t release, grab that control panel in the cab and lower the suspension a bit, then try the King Pin again

osark:
Insist, persist and never desist.

…and it worked!!! :sunglasses: