Facebook problem anybody help?

Can anybody help me with a Facebook problem as I know very little about it.
Somebody has set up a profile using my teenage lad’s name. It is somebody he knows as they have put up a photo of him, although it is about 5 yrs old, and he looks quite different now.
The only motive is to make trouble, they are pretending to be him and making offensive remarks about people in the town, and picking fights by making belligerent remarks.
He has asked his friends to put on that it is not a genuine profile, as he is not actually on Facebook himself, so quite a few have reported it but to no avail.
My Mrs even told the Police but they say there is nothing they can do.
Facebook contacted my wife and more or less said it did not break any rules :open_mouth: or words to that effect.
The only thing I am afraid of is if the wrong people are offended and my lad ends up getting a good hiding in the town.
Can anybody put forward any suggestions.

Just click on the block menu there’s a thing for reporting that the account is a false account using someone else’s details

Might be an idea for him to get on facebook and set up a genuine account, in my experience its easier to get facebook to delete a fake account if they have a real account to compare it with ( if that makes sense)

What age is your lad?

Deeireland:
What age is your lad?

He’s over 18, which stops the Police from doing anything. If he was a minor it would be a different situation. He’s a quiet lad so an easy target, he won’t tell me or my eldest lad who he thinks it is because he knows one of us would go round and rip his ■■■■ head off, which on reflection would most probably escalate the situation.
What worries me is that you read of these situations where kids are bullied on social network, and how it affects them, apparently some of the answers to '‘his’'supposed posts have become a bit threatening.
I will probably tell him to do what Chaversdad says, and open a genuine account.
Nick 2008…done that mate but still no action taken.

Thanks for the input lads anyway.

robroy:
Can anybody help me with a Facebook problem as I know very little about it.
Somebody has set up a profile using my teenage lad’s name. It is somebody he knows as they have put up a photo of him, although it is about 5 yrs old, and he looks quite different now.
The only motive is to make trouble, they are pretending to be him and making offensive remarks about people in the town, and picking fights by making belligerent remarks.
He has asked his friends to put on that it is not a genuine profile, as he is not actually on Facebook himself, so quite a few have reported it but to no avail.
My Mrs even told the Police but they say there is nothing they can do.
Facebook contacted my wife and more or less said it did not break any rules :open_mouth: or words to that effect.
The only thing I am afraid of is if the wrong people are offended and my lad ends up getting a good hiding in the town.
Can anybody put forward any suggestions.

Identity Theft is a Crime.
In some Country you need to report that to the Fire Brigade.

In UK spam@uce.gov. This is the Federal Trade Commission’s official e-mail address for reporting all identity theft, including Facebook identity theft.

facebook.com/help/263149623790594/

facebook.com/help/community … 5404970560

Reporting Identity Theft on Facebook

See All Articles in Identity Theft RecoveryPrint
identity theft on Facebook
The popular social networking site Facebook recently surpassed the 500,000,000-user mark. Half a billion members is an impressive accomplishment, whether you’re one of them or not. However, members should view this milestone with a grain of salt, as some of these members are perpetrators of Facebook scams such as Facebook identity theft.

Facebook members have become so accustomed to clicking on links and friend requests sent by Facebook “friends” that thieves now rely on this complacency to commit identity theft. If a thief has used a “phishing” scheme of some kind to commit Facebook identity theft, here’s how to report it through Facebook:

Log in to your account as you normally would. If a thief has hacked your account and changed the password, ignore the next several steps – just visit the Facebook Security Help section.
Go to the “Settings” tab.
Under the “Settings” tab, click on “Help.” It should be in the upper right-hand corner of the screen between your name and the logout link.
Navigate to the “Help Center.”
Look for the “Hacked Accounts and Spam” section of the Help Center, and click on that link.
Select the link that best describes the situation.
Read the options, and click on the one that best describes your situation.
Follow the instructions.
Follow Facebook’s instructions step-by-step. You may need to change your login, and you should definitely change your password.
Report the Facebook identity theft.
If someone is using your e-mail address to send spam to Facebook friends and anyone else in your address book, send that address to spam@uce.gov. This is the Federal Trade Commission’s official e-mail address for reporting all identity theft, including Facebook identity theft.
All members of social networking sites — especially Facebook, since it’s far and away the most popular — are at a greater risk for becoming victims of identity theft. The very nature of social networking sites makes them an attractive target for identity thieves, because members have a tendency to “let down their guard” and share information with virtual strangers that they’d never share with a stranger on the street. If you enjoy Facebook and other social networking sites but are concerned about your exposure to Facebook identity theft and other kinds of Facebook scams, an identity monitoring service might be a good solution.

identityhawk.com/reporting-i … t-facebook

Rob, if you want to - pm me the name on the fake account (and let me know what the picture is that is being used) and I can report it as being a fake of somebody I know. As has been said, Farcebook take more notice of reports from live accounts. And anybody on FB that knows him, get them to report it too. The more the merrier seems to be the way they work :smiling_imp:

The Sarge:
Rob, if you want to - pm me the name on the fake account (and let me know what the picture is that is being used) and I can report it as being a fake of somebody I know. As has been said, Farcebook take more notice of reports from live accounts. And anybody on FB that knows him, get them to report it too. The more the merrier seems to be the way they work :smiling_imp:

Cheers for that mate but numerous people have done that already, but, to no avail.
He is currently waiting for his sister to come home, who is away working, and she is going to set up a genuine account for him, as none of the rest of us are into it.
Thanks again.

Good luck mate.

Immigrant:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

chaversdad:

Immigrant:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You’d have more luck with the Coast Guard

Some tossers about isn’t there