F1 Senna

Thought this may be of interest to some.On itv4 tonight 22.30. Senna documentary/film.Got a good write up might be worth a look.

“Senna” is a great film. I’m a motor racing fan who remembers the 1980s and 90s as a golden age of F1, but you don’t really need to be a motor racing enthusiast to enjoy this film. It’s a great human interest story.

Today is twenty years since Senna fatal accident, it’s also twenty years and one day since Roland Ratzenberger’s also at Imola. Sadly few remember Roland who was also a very good driver and drove in many different classes.

knight:
Today is twenty years since Senna fatal accident, it’s also twenty years and one day since Roland Ratzenberger’s also at Imola. Sadly few remember Roland who was also a very good driver and drove in many different classes.

Bloody brilliant in the E30 M3 touring cars . As for Senna , remember it like yesterday , and even laid flowers outside the Williams factory on the Monday morning . They still carry the “S” on their nose cones in respect to this most charismatic of racers .

If anybody missed this, it’s on again. ITV4 Sunday 4th May 22.00.
One of worst for myself to watch is the Roger Williamson fatal crash.Absolutely heart wrenching so very, very, sad :cry: :cry:
It’s on you tube but sorry don’t know how to put up the link.

youtube.com/watch?v=OdkH3X0XIvU

Roger Williamson at Zandvoort, 1973. Apparently he was still conscious and talking to David Purley (the chap trying to rescue him), saying “for Christ’s sake David, get me out of this”. The footage of David Purley walking away when he knows he can do no more, dejection written in every line of his figure, is heart wrenching.

Rhythm Thief:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdkH3X0XIvU

Roger Williamson at Zandvoort, 1973. Apparently he was still conscious and talking to David Purley (the chap trying to rescue him), saying “for Christ’s sake David, get me out of this”. The footage of David Purley walking away when he knows he can do no more, dejection written in every line of his figure, is heart wrenching.

Thanks for that R/T. As you say the sheer and utter despair,dejection in
him walking away is truly gutting.

There’s a good retrospective of Senna’s career here at the Motorsport Magazine website. motorsportmagazine.com/f1/hi … ow-helmet/ … it pulls no punches on his personality though!

As others have said it’s 20 years since Senna was killed in a tragic accident at Tamburello corner on lap 8 of the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola.

Sky Sports F1 have dedicated this week to his legacy.

Roland Ratzenberger has also been remembered.

A terrible weekend for Motorsport.

Nigel Stepney (he of the Ferrari/McLaren data theft scandal. Was killed this morning on the M20 when he stopped on the hard shoulder and strayed onto the carriageway into the path of an HGV.

A very talented race engineer strategist and by all account a dedicated family man.

As always with these tragic events my thoughts are with the families for Ratzenberger, Senna and Stepney.

Whilst on the subject a mention to my name sake Tom Pryce and his tragic death at the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami.

Probably the most graphic and horrific accident in the history of the sport. Again the footage is on YouTube but it really isn’t for the faint hearted.

Another promising driver cut down by ■■■■ poor safety and stupidity on behalf of those concerned with this very dangerous sport.

Once again my thoughts with his family.

Tipper Tom:
Nigel Stepney (he of the Ferrari/McLaren data theft scandal. Was killed this morning on the M20 when he stopped on the hard shoulder and strayed onto the carriageway into the path of an HGV.

A very talented race engineer strategist and by all account a dedicated family man.

Crikey, that’s quite shocking news. Poor chap.

Tipper Tom:
Whilst on the subject a mention to my name sake Tom Pryce and his tragic death at the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami.

Probably the most graphic and horrific accident in the history of the sport. Again the footage is on YouTube but it really isn’t for the faint hearted.

People can find that one by themselves … that really is graphic, as you say. Don’t forget the marshall who was killed as well, 19 year old Jansen Van Vuuren.

I kinda deliberately missed him off as it was his I responsible actions that caused uncle Tom’s death

The problem was, they were paranoid about fire because of the stick they’d got over Roger Williamson’s avoidable death a few years before. When smoke was seen coming from a car on the other side of the track, the head marshal sent Van Vuuren and another marshal across the track with fire extinguishers. Van Vuuren nearly made it, but was hit by Pryce’s car and killed immediately. The fire extinguisher he was carrying hit Pryce in the face and nearly decapitated him.
The chief marshal came in for some criticism after the event, if I remember rightly. Whatever the rights and wrongs of Van Vuuren’s actions, though, you have to feel sorry for him. Apparently the only way they could identify him was to have a roll call of the remaining marshals and see who was missing. It’s a horrific story and no one other than Pryce, who was completely blameless, comes out of it very well.

I’d never seen that accident before. Looked it up on YouTube and will probably not forget it now. Sadly, it’s only accidents like this that seem to make changes that have made the sport as safe as it is today.

m1cks:
I’d never seen that accident before. Looked it up on YouTube and will probably not forget it now. Sadly, it’s only accidents like this that seem to make changes that have made the sport as safe as it is today.

It stayed with me for a couple of days, too.

That roger Williamson one is crazy , wish I had a friend like David !! Don’t understand why the 2 people on the scene after David didn’t try and help him turn the car over :confused: , and the tom pryce one I watched back a couple of times because at first I didn’t know what had happend :astonished: , rip to the lot of them

I hear what you’re saying RT and yeah the Marshal was doing his job. But he didn’t have clearance to go on the track never mind cross it.

With Williamson the marshals had bugger all in the way of protection. The drivers even then wore fire retardant overalls.

What didn’t help was the other drivers thinking that David was the driver didn’t stop

Rhythm Thief:

m1cks:

It stayed with me for a couple of days, too.

I first saw it when I was 16 and as I say it stayed with me because Tom was a relative (albeit one I didn’t meet) a great shame that folk need to die in Motorsport for changes to be made

David Purley got the George Medal for trying to rescue Williamson. Williamson suffocated as piped air was either not compulsory then or had run out. A couple of years earlier, Jo Siffert died trapped in his burning car. He had fireproofed overalls on but had broken his leg and couldn’t get out. The marshalls were poorly equipped too.
F1 had made some changes when you consider Lorenso Bandini had died from horrific burns only a few years before-when he died they were still using straw bales.

The docu-film 1Life on the limit is a good watch.

Tipper Tom:
a great shame that folk need to die in Motorsport for changes to be made

Sadly that true of life in general. Nothing changes till the worst haopens

That’s very true Luke