F#@? Up Friday?

We’ll it use to be called that now it seems it’s everyday or is there any particular day it tends to affect you.

The department for transport want to be ashamed of themselves imo, it’s 2015 and the roads are embarrassing , stupid systems like the smart motorway seem to cause more problems than they solve , no doubt at times they have done what it was designed to but I think the majority of the time it just messes things up. And the standard of driving is terrible , I’m no driving god but you see everyday without fail X amount of people doing ridiculous things and causing problems for all around , there needs to be something done because it will only get worse imo , it seems like as soon as people get in that metal box they are invincible , and the only thing that matters is updating Facebook or the like.

The traffic this week has been ■■■■■■■ horrendous near enough everywhere, especially later afternoon more so than normal.

It’s the 5pm sunsets that a causing it me thinks, busy roads and darkness = dithering & accidents. Doesn’t help that a lot of these many stretches of roadworks aren’t lit.

No excuse for the muppet that broke down in the M60 roadworks at teatime on Monday, had ran out of fuel :unamused:

Found the last couple of weeks to be extremely bad in Glasgow. Traffic has been shocking to say the least! Also as said above the standard of some driving is frightening. So many people seem to be incapable of doing the most basic of things when driving!

Dunno about f—up friday. More “Stitch-up” darn south.

(1) Friday will be the day you break down rather than crash due to your own fault.
(2) Friday will be the day your money doesn’t get paid into your account on time.
(3) Friday will be the day you get stuck in a traffic jam
(4) Friday will be the day you don’t want to finish late, but end up doing 15 hours or worse still - end up nighting out.
(5) Friday will be the day you get called into the office… 30 minutes before home time over a contentious issue with huge ramifications if you just submit straight away.
(6) Friday will be the day you get called in on your day off - because the other guy has gone sick
(7) Friday is the day you can’t get anything done in officialdom - because no one answers the phone after 2pm…
(8) Friday is the day all your bills go out - compounded by (2)
(9) Friday is the day YOU want to go out on the town - but can’t - because 1-8 have happened already. :frowning:

friday road calamities might be greatly improved …

if there were generous tax breaks for cycling commuters …

and the ride to work scheme was compulsory …

and trains had capacity to carry more than 2 bikes …

and buses had a cycle rack for at least 4 .

government is foolish to spend billions increasing road SUPPLY …

when it could spend much less reducing DEMAND .

I’d like to see private cars banned from the road between 0700-1900, Monday - Friday, apart from even numbered cars on even days, and odd-numbered cars on odd dates. Encourage people to either use public transport or car share, and the congestion would be greatly reduced.

Friday afternoon going into early evenings have always been bad, but honestly what do you expect when the population increases by between 300,000 and 600,000 every year (depending who you’re listening to and who you actually believe), this country simply isn’t big enough to cope with the sheer numbers of people.
Be fun in 30 years as we approach 100 million.

scaniason:
I’d like to see private cars banned from the road between 0700-1900, Monday - Friday, apart from even numbered cars on even days, and odd-numbered cars on odd dates. Encourage people to either use public transport or car share, and the congestion would be greatly reduced.

They would just get 2 cars with one odd and one even number plate

No doubt some would, but a lot of others would have to stay off the road every other day, or plan their journeys a bit better. Like not blocking the a13 at rush hour just to pop down to IKEA for some meatballs!

And whilst I’m in my transport minister role:

Enforce the ‘no 45 hour rest in the cab’ rule, as being enforced in Belgium/France etc.

Borrow the minimum wage law from Germany, to stop undercutting of wages by foreign companies.

Strongly enforce the cabotage rules, by having a blanket stop policy on all foreign registered 6x2s pulling ferry trailers, or waiting in ports.

No doubt the governments owners would kick up a fuss though…

Smoggie89:
The department for transport want to be ashamed of themselves imo, it’s 2015 and the roads are embarrassing , stupid systems like the smart motorway seem to cause more problems than they solve , no doubt at times they have done what it was designed to but I think the majority of the time it just messes things up. And the standard of driving is terrible , I’m no driving god but you see everyday without fail X amount of people doing ridiculous things and causing problems for all around , there needs to be something done because it will only get worse imo , it seems like as soon as people get in that metal box they are invincible , and the only thing that matters is updating Facebook or the like.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks this. On the M6 I think, last week, sings saying 60, woohoo, foot down and we’re off. Traffic flowing well, not overly heavy and sign comes up with 40. Everyone on the brakes because they don’t want points, next gantry 200 yards down the road - 60. Not that anyone was anywhere near that because the traffic was basically at a standstill.

A.

ROG:

scaniason:

They would just get 2 cars with one odd and one even number plate

Yep as per athens :wink: although there its done to reduce pollution

nick2008:
We’ll it use to be called that now it seems it’s everyday or is there any particular day it tends to affect you.

Full moon which happened to be 27th/28th. Every single night its a full moon I usually get a breakdown or other problem and you get the halfwits driving on the road.

27th my run got changed three times before I got to work. When I got to work, 45 minutes to find my trailer as the wrong number had been put into the system for loading. One unannounced road closure on route and a muppet in a double decker doing 40MPH up the M1 and an extra local trailer move added all which added 2.5hrs onto what was supposed to be an early finish.

Last night I got to work, hooked up my trailer to be greeted with that sound that can only be a leaking brake chamber. Thankfully it happened in the yard so there’s a fully equipped garage but it still added an hour onto my day.

I got up to Lockerbie and one of the guys from an earlier trunk is there and the trailer he took over has real dim lights and the suzie is getting red hot. He called out a fitter and it turned out that the earth wire in the trailer had melted, took out the junction box and had started to melt the suzie fitting as well. Four hours after leaving him I got back to the yard and saw another driver who said he’d just set off back so he had a real bad night.

Hopefully the full moon effect has worn off cos I’ve got a Portbury tonight.

boredwivdrivin:

How does that work if you remove a car and replace it with 4 bikes? Or even one bike?
To reduce road demand - you want more people in fewer vehicles. Better buses & trains with cheap and plentiful routes. The aviation industry has already done that to THEIR side of the transport problem after all.
THERE is where extra actual airports are needed, rather than ever more traffic at the same airports we have now.

boredwivdrivin:

1- Make bike insurance compulsory and hefty based on 'vulnerability risk ’

2 - Make cyclists who want to ride on public road undertake a stringent test before allowed to ride on a public road and they can then qualify for discounts just like any other insurance paying motorist. Any cyclist on road without test pass, hefty fine

3 - No tax break until all road users get one

4 - Ride to work - See 1 & 2 above before asking people to go into road

5 - Trains and buses are for people not bikes, you want a bike to use then use it not public transport as a carrier. See 1 & 2

6 - Charge any cyclist failing to obey rules of road with endangerment to self and must undergo psychiatric evaluation to determine level of stupidity and suicidal tendencies

7 - psychiatric evaluation on any cyclist seen in public wearing bellend Lycra crap and especially if has helmet cam - to determine underlying ‘warrior antisocial’ tendencies

Sure there’s more but can’t be arsed not typing anything else to such a ■■■■■ post

What Juddian said.

It was Woeful Wednesday on the M62 yesterday. Went to do my little ‘graveyard’ shift last night and noticed loads of HGV’s on the bridge near the top of Rastrick. Got near Ainley top and could see motorway was lit up like a Christmas tree. It was blocked for hours - don’t know why though.

could solve a lot of the problems if I was allowed to fit a coo(cyclist)catcher and some RPGs to my unit :smiling_imp:

if a driving licence held any points that could e issued when driving ie red lights etc should be issued if on a bike … they know the rules.

Thursday! Always disliked a Thursday.