Eyesores or major employer? - Let's blow it all up anyway

No more beacon in the distance when driving northbound on the A34 from Newbury…

Wonder why they left it to 05:01 this morning to do it though - a bit of a wake up call!

Local media have been whining and crying over it being done so early. It’s only half the cooling towers, the other 3 come down next year, the main chimney in 2016 once all the other buildings come down. I gather the coal and ash plant has gone and the blown towers came down onto the former coaling site. It was done so early because the GW main line had to be shut along with the A4130, both having to be checked before reopening at 7am.
It’s not the whole power station being demolished anyway, contrary to what most people are saying; Didcot B (gas turbine) plant is still running.
Quite surprised that one tower isn’t being preserved like Battersea is but then if left, someone has to maintain it.
The local quarry and recycling companies can’t be too happy about the demolition though; 36000t of good quality crushed concrete is now on the market. :wink:
Talking of chimneys, the landmark but dilapidated chimney near Kidlington (Shipton Cement Works, now Earthline) is set to be blown up soon. All the other derelict works buildings are down and I’m reliably informed it’s happening in August sometime.

No doubt other current video footage will show Indian and Chinese officials ceremoniously cutting the red tape to open their latest coal fired power station of this week.

Meanwhile this country has become the laughing stock of the world, and the turkeys voting for their own Christmas the biggest fools going.

Compulsory smart meters coming soon, i wonder if they’ll turn the propaganda box in the corner off?

Major employer as I’ve sent thousands upon thousands of tons of coal from Portbury coal yard to the two big silos down St.Andrews Road, Avonmouth to be loaded onto the bulk trains to Didcot.

bald bloke:
Major employer as I’ve sent thousands upon thousands of tons of coal from Portbury coal yard to the two big silos down St.Andrews Road, Avonmouth to be loaded onto the bulk trains to Didcot.

Still send a bit up as the Railway Centre still runs on it. :laughing:

Cotswoldcrunch:

bald bloke:

Still send a bit up as the Railway Centre still runs on it. :laughing:

Can’t remember exactly but it was about 8,000 to 10,000 tons of coal a day except Sundays that we sent there.

Had a ring side seat as i only live a few hundred yards from it. Was certainly worth sitting out for a couple of hours.

Juddian:
Meanwhile this country has become the laughing stock of the world

To be honest I dont think the world really takes enough notice of us to care.

nickyboy:
Had a ring side seat as i only live a few hundred yards from it. Was certainly worth sitting out for a couple of hours.

Makes a nice change to see something in Didcot get destroyed and no laws are broken. :laughing:

They do it properly in Yorkshire so everyone can see :sunglasses:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28588714

Cotswoldcrunch:

nickyboy:

Makes a nice change to see something in Didcot get destroyed and no laws are broken. :laughing:

Next… Nobbies Tesco. That place is like Colditz. :smiling_imp:

m.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/13635484 … n/?ref=rss
RIP Smokey Joe…Another Oxfordshire landmark gone, done a day earlier than what was talked about.