Eyesight problems renewing licence

Went for my D4 eye test today at Spec Savers (I’m 64). Using the Snellen test I got uncorrected 6/12 6/18 which is the minimum pass and corrected 6/6 6/6. So I pass, but they also wrote under Q10 ‘Does the applicant have any other ophthalimic condition? ‘Early bilateral cataract.’ Am I going to have problems renewing my licence?

I would not think so at this stage as you have passed the required test,if it was Glaucoma then you might, as that affects the field of vision.
My Wife (72)has BOTH and she still has her Licence to drive,it means she has to have her eyes tested after one year not two.
As long as you declare any alteration to your sight,you should OK

I noticed my eye sight deteriorating, especially at twilight and when reading.
I knew I had cataracts, but good old opticians just prescribed stronger lenses (which does not really help).
Was referred for a cataract op, waiting time was 2 Weeks between each eye, and wow what a difference.
I would ask the optician at what point you will need this, as I was very close to stopping driving, and had the waiting list been longer, I would have been in trouble.
As cataracts are a listing of the lens deterioration quickens, as the coating on the lens gets thicker.
Any questions drop me a pm.

It came as a bit of a shock really as I’ve never had problems. At 64 I wear reading glasses, but that’s normal and age related. The optician told me it was early and could go on for years without any significant deterioration, but as the HGV test is more stringent than for normal car driving, the last thing I want on paper is, ‘yes, he borderline passed, but …’

I’ve had the cataract operation, you don’t feel anything, it’s nice to see clear again afterwards, good luck

If you need glasses to drive - always wear them, and have a spare set to hand in case you break them on duty, as it would be illegal for you to drive otherwise. I’m long-sighted, and need glasses or I cannot focus on anything closer to me than 3 feet, which means I cannot read without wearing glasses all the time as well. I need to be able to read the digicard display when I insert my card, not to mention my dashboard readings! My last HGV medical had me as OK-sighted to drive WITHOUT glasses, but I found that I cannot see the rear-view image clearly in my mirrors, so elected to wear them all the time anyways. I’m a perm nights driver, so being able to see well enough to reverse - is obviously very important, especially in poor lighting conditions as exist in all-too-many yards these days…

Make sure the current prescription doesn’t need re-newing - by having regular eye tests. Once every two years is enough for most people. The test is free if you then need a new prescription. If you test every year unnecessarily, you’ll end up paying for unnecessary eye tests, which is just a moneyraising spiel from Opticians imo to get you to come in more often than you need to… A once-per-two years test - does for me. I’ve switched from bi-focals to vari-focals this last time around, as I just could not get on with varifocals the first time of offering, but now find they are jolly useful if one’s eyesight occasionally wavers in focus, where a slight tilt of the head with varifocals puts everything back in crystal clear focus again - not possible with bifocals.

The HGV medical should test you both wearing and not wearing your glasses for eyesight. The “number plate on a computer screen” test any yard compliance officer might give you - only needs to be passed WEARING the glasses. If they test you without as well, and you flunk that test - then you’ll be stood down from driving for the shift should you ever turn up for work - not wearing your glasses.
I once turned up for work without glasses, didn’t have any problems until I was called into the office to fill out some paperwork - and got caught out 'cos I couldn’t read it! (I can drive fine during daylight shifts without glasses, including mirrors, having already passed a recent medical to that effect…)

(Spot misery guts employee - sweeping out standing trailers for the rest of the shift!)

I’ve worn reading glasses for years, but never had a problem with distance vision and don’t wear glasses for everyday use. Yes, the optician tried to sell me a pair, but as you say, that’s their job. I actually passed the required HGV eyesight test without glasses.

The eyesight test itself is free for over 40s on the NHS, I just had to pay a tenner for the form to be filled in and so for my own piece of mind it’s good to know I may have problems at a later date with the early warning of a cataract in my left eye. Yet it’s not a future problem I need putting on a form in which I’m requesting the DVLA to renew an expired HGV licence and start presenting future problems. I’m very hesitant about sending that form in.

Now, if I went for a Doctors on Wheels medical I’d pass both the medical and eyesight test. Is it cheating to go to someone who will do an eyesight test based on pass or fail? ‘My licence has expired, here’s a medical, here’s an eyesight test, no current problems, please renew my licence.’ Straightforward and simple. I don’t want an answer back saying, ‘No we can’t renew it, we have to refer this to our medical department, blah, blah …’

Grandpa:
The eyesight test itself is free for over 40s on the NHS,

I think you’ll find that only applies if you are judged to be at risk of developing glaucoma - ie if one of your parents or siblings has the condition. My Mum has it and so I get a free sight test every year.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi grandpa , I had my d4 last October aged 65
I had already been diagnosed glaucoma , my own doctor did eye test using Snelling charts , which I passed . Sent form off , dvla sent me for a full test at specsavers , which I passed including field test .( carried on driving in the interim under section 88)

At no stage did DVLA tell me not to drive.
You may find you get sent to spec savers for same , don’t worry , if you passed without your bins on there’s nowt wrong with your eyes !
Good luck keep us informed
Jim
PS what’s your name ? I’m a grandad also !

Roymondo:

Grandpa:
The eyesight test itself is free for over 40s on the NHS,

I think you’ll find that only applies if you are judged to be at risk of developing glaucoma - ie if one of your parents or siblings has the condition. My Mum has it and so I get a free sight test every year.

I have a paranoia about tick box forms. I know it shouldn’t matter as I achieved the criteria to pass, but then I don’t want to start a possible investigation into whether there’s glaucoma in the family (there isn’t). I’ve no doubt the beginnings of that cataract will affect my driving in years to come, but it doesn’t now. I want a pass or fail assessment of my current eyesight with no ‘further information’ so I’ve decided to stick to the criteria on the D4 form and try D4Drivers. I’ve already booked an appointment with them so let’s see what happens then.

Just as an aside, everyone over 40 is entitled to a free NHS comprehensive eye test, so that’s something we should all take advantage of, but I’m not happy about listing future potential problems on something that has nothing to do with the state of my current sight.

I did take my test at Spec savers and that’s why they wrote the cataract comment. I don’t want the comment, I want everything nicely ticked off. If my application then has to go the medical department I know I’ll end up jumping through hoops. Probably not, but I’m re-applying for an expired licence so I’d rather not take the risk and so I’ll give D4Drivers a try.
John.

Grandpa:
Just as an aside, everyone over 40 is entitled to a free NHS comprehensive eye test, so that’s something we should all take advantage of, but I’m not happy about listing future potential problems on something that has nothing to do with the state of my current sight.

That was my point - you don’t get entitlement to free NHS eye tests just because you are over 40.

Fully explained here:
nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-w … -vouchers/

Sorry John , I see now you’ve been to spec savers , did you do full works including field test and pressures etc ?
Although I was dealing with dvla medical dept. At no stage did I have to " jump through hoops " sent eye test form back to them and within about three weeks got my licence back , hope yours does same.
PS My mate just had cataract op and is AMAZED at the difference !
Jim

Roymondo:

Grandpa:

That was my point - you don’t get entitlement to free NHS eye tests just because you are over 40.

Fully explained here:

Sorry, my mistake – free at 60 or over, Scotland over 40 (Jeez, my eyesight must be bad)! The free 40 over was for other family history criteria.

JFC999:
Sorry John , I see now you’ve been to spec savers , did you do full works including field test and pressures etc ?
Although I was dealing with dvla medical dept. At no stage did I have to " jump through hoops " sent eye test form back to them and within about three weeks got my licence back , hope yours does same.
PS My mate just had cataract op and is AMAZED at the difference !
Jim

Yes, the Full Monty tests. I’m now undecided whether to get cheap prescription bins at £26 just for work and have the D4Drivers medical which won’t be a problem, or try and wing it on the eyesight test. On hindsight, I think I’ll go down the prescription route, admit it and bite my nails waiting to see what happens.

Having thought about it, who am I trying to kid? None of us want to admit we’re getting older, but at 64 I’m never going to breeze through an eyesight test that I did 20 years ago without glasses, with A1 results and expect the DVLA to believe me. With the prescription corrected lenses used during the Spec Savers test I got 6/6 standard 20/20 vision on both eyes and not a borderline pass without.

I’d be happy to get a cataract removal operation for my left eye, but I’ve hardly got it yet. What I’ve been told is that there are early warning signs that it’s there. Yep, I’m off to Spec Savers tomorrow and don’t none of you dare call me the milky bar kid and offer to help me cross the road to get there! :laughing:

Grandpa:

Roymondo:

Grandpa:

Fully explained here:

Sorry, my mistake – free at 60 or over, Scotland over 40 (Jeez, my eyesight must be bad)! The free 40 over was for other family history criteria.

Sorry, still not true. In Scotland, everyone is entitled to a free NHS eye test every two years. Free tests every year if over 60 or have certain eye conditions (or over 40 with a family history of glaucoma).

Roymondo:

Grandpa:

Roymondo:

Grandpa:

Fully explained here:

Sorry, still not true. In Scotland, everyone is entitled to a free NHS eye test every two years. Free tests every year if over 60 or have certain eye conditions (or over 40 with a family history of glaucoma).

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/nhs-eye-test

You pick your way through it. :slight_smile:

Grandpa:
Went for my D4 eye test today at Spec Savers (I’m 64). Using the Snellen test I got uncorrected 6/12 6/18 which is the minimum pass and corrected 6/6 6/6. So I pass, but they also wrote under Q10 ‘Does the applicant have any other ophthalimic condition? ‘Early bilateral cataract.’ Am I going to have problems renewing my licence?

Hi Grandpa,
We’re looking forward to seeing you for your D4 medical.
Just a side note for anyone reading this thread, the minimum pass for vision is 6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/60 in the worse eye (there are some exceptions but not one that makes 6/12 and 6/18 uncorrected a minimum pass). Usually for the visual acuities you’ve mentioned, a code will be added to the licence for the categories you’re renewing which states you must wear your corrective lenses when driving, be it glasses or contact lenses.
With regards to question 10 on the vision section, it’s very difficult to say whether this would cause problems, it’s of course down to DVLA. Sorry I can’t be of better help on this one.
Ryan
D4Drivers.

My last eye test said I’m at risk of developing cataracts. I’m only 60, when questioned she said probably 10 years before needing them lasering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D4Drivers:

Grandpa:

Hi Grandpa,
We’re looking forward to seeing you for your D4 medical.
Just a side note for anyone reading this thread, the minimum pass for vision is 6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/60 in the worse eye (there are some exceptions but not one that makes 6/12 and 6/18 uncorrected a minimum pass). Usually for the visual acuities you’ve mentioned, a code will be added to the licence for the categories you’re renewing which states you must wear your corrective lenses when driving, be it glasses or contact lenses.
With regards to question 10 on the vision section, it’s very difficult to say whether this would cause problems, it’s of course down to DVLA. Sorry I can’t be of better help on this one.
Ryan
D4Drivers.

Thanks Ryan,

Yes, I think I initially got the tests mixed up with HGV and car, so I fail HGV on uncorrected vision, but pass with glasses and pass the car without glasses.
I’m not trying to be semantic with this, but it means then that the lower the number (6/6 is better than 6/12 or 6/18?), the better the sight. So glasses would improve and equalize both eyes at 6/6? The doctor then would only have to do the medical part. The GPs in the Rugby area were charging £130 and that’s without the eyesight test! I’m looking forward to trying out D4Drivers.