Eye sight

Just had a cataract op which hasn’t gone well and it looks like I will lose my hgv as I won’t be able to meet the sight requirements. The good news is my sight should should come back but not for a couple of months. Can anyone tell what the procedure is regarding DVLA please.

■■■■■■■ hell this doesn’t feed me with joy. I’ve got a cataracts in my right eye formed due to my treatment for detached retina and retinal tears in both eyes. I know I’ll need it removing at some point but I hope nothing goes wrong. Oh the DVLA are nothing but a set of living in the past draconian ■■■■■ :imp:

Do you have to tell them? Can you just not wait until your glimmers get better and just start driving again.

Tell .DVLA ■■■■ all, they will just shaft you, wait till your eyes are better then resume driving.

Sapper

sapper:
Tell .DVLA [zb] all, they will just shaft you, wait till your eyes are better then resume driving.

Sapper

I wouldn’t tell the ■■■■ all either. However his optician or consultant/doctor may do. I’d have a word with them and just ask if the DVLA need to know, they may say no they don’t so you know they won’t say anything or they may even say it’s down to you to tell them.

Cheers peeps, on the sick at the minute may wait another week and if no improvement will have to tell them. All depends how long it takes for my sight to improve. If I don’t let them know work will! Either way I am stuffed!

Judonut:
Cheers peeps, on the sick at the minute may wait another week and if no improvement will have to tell them. All depends how long it takes for my sight to improve. If I don’t let them know work will! Either way I am stuffed!

Work won’t need to tell them, your GP may have to if it is a “notifiable condition”.

Fingers crossed for you matey.

Update for you eyesight came bake after 6 weeks. Since then managed to pass my medical and back at work. Result

I find it hard to believe that people are saying don’t tell DVLA when we currently have a FAI ongoing in to fatalities with the Glasgow bin truck incident ,which basically is down to a driver hiding his medical history …

norb:
I find it hard to believe that people are saying don’t tell DVLA when we currently have a FAI ongoing in to fatalities with the Glasgow bin truck incident ,which basically is down to a driver hiding his medical history …

I suppose the issue is that the DVLA medical team are well known for being a little ‘slow’ to reinstate licences after something has been notified meaning people hesitate to notify.

I think the OP did the right thing. He took himself out of driving, when he believed his eye sight to be correct he took a medical that proved it - then drove.

The guy subject to the current court case didn’t take himself out of driving and hid the fact. The OP went to a doctor and had a check … bit different.

Had the OP informed DVLA he would have been delayed in returning to work by many weeks

norb:

you can drive an artic, window down, with white stick sweeping in front without vision :grimacing: the job is so EASY :sunglasses:

Judonut:
Just had a cataract op which hasn’t gone well and it looks like I will lose my hgv as I won’t be able to meet the sight requirements. The good news is my sight should should come back but not for a couple of months. Can anyone tell what the procedure is regarding DVLA please.

You know the problem you have,explain the situation to your Doctor and Boss, go on the sick for awhile see (no pun intended)how your eyes progress,and say nothing to the DVLA
As long as you don`t drive your car or wagon until your eyes clear up not a lot they can do.

I want to make it clear I did not drive a car or lorry while my eyesight was bad. I was asking the question whether or not I had to tell DVLA. I didn’t go back to work till I met the required sight test standard. I have a good job with a blue chip company and they supported me while I was off so had no pressure to return to soon. I am just so pleased all has turned out well in the end.

Good onya mate.