Extreme Tramping

Just curious as to whether you can take tramping to the next level by effectively living out of truck? Obviously if it is your own truck then i’m sure there would be no problem but if working for an employer is it a realistic option?

My situation is renting a flat (social housing) have no realistic prospects of buying a house probably even a struggle to rent a house/bungalow privately.

Sick to death of living around idiots with no respect for their neighbours (noise effects me badly - not normal noise, traffic, etc… just ■■■■■ who play loud music and stomp around) so looking at my options.

No commitments so would be an option in my case. Does anybody else do it?

Ala Willi Betz Driver?

probably could work with irish ooutfit

When I owned a couple of motors a long time ago, one of my drivers slept in his truck at weekends in the yard.
He was divorced a free agent and only back at weekends.
I didn’t charge him a penny either …as I was such a good boss. :sunglasses:

Ok fair enough, I was getting free weekend yard security. :smiley:

He also did not mind being weekended anywhere which was handy sometimes for me.

There was a Company going down till you coodnt see them anymore.
Even Pakistan and deepest Russia someone told me a few Year ago.

Well Switchlogic of this parish certainly lived in his truck for a very long time. He drove for Virginia in Ireland so it obviously suited both parties.

Don’t know of any UK firms that would do that but I can’t see a problem with it. As Rob said, it’s free weekend yard security too.

Start contacting smaller, local firms in your neck of the woods and see what they say. Can’t imagine the big boys letting you do it though!

Yep you can, or Could .
1984-5 we rented out our house and lived out of the truck or occasionally our caravan that we had on our building site in Malaga where we spent our long weekends off whenever possible . And there were two of us…you just Have to be organised and tidy . Arranging clean dry and ironned clothes was the hardest part. But truck stops in France and Spain were a lot more user friendly with facilities than anything you will find in the UK. It is not easy but if your boss is OK with it there is Only one way you will find out !

Mathews from Great Yarmouth used to let his East European drivers stay in their allocated vehicle. I think they used it as a selling point, they told the drivers that was their truck, and they didn’t need to find digs. They would pay them for any days worked, but not for any time spent in the truck were no work was done, even if weekended away.

Some of the Dutch hauliers would not care if you did, try Visbeen, FTT, Verhoek, i am sure there are a few more i can’t think of right now

Thanks for comments, maybe not as simple or straightforward as I first thought. Back to the drawing board I think.

Buy a narrowboat, fairly cheap to buy, if your happy to live in a truck a narrowboat will be spacious and if you do get noisey neibours then just untie and move down the canal a wee bit

Midnight Rambler:
Buy a narrowboat, fairly cheap to buy, if your happy to live in a truck a narrowboat will be spacious and if you do get noisey neibours then just untie and move down the canal a wee bit

Ask Harry Monk…but ours was not cheap new in 1989. You can spend more on one than a house up North.

I know some of the agency lads who work away from home live out of camper type vans, might that be an option…same as Robroy’s driver, it might be in the company’s interests to have someone keeping an eye on the yard if they let you park it in a corner out the way a bit, no harm in asking about but it’s only going to be with a small outfit i suspect.

Shotgun might be cheaper :smiley:

JS8576:
Shotgun might be cheaper :smiley:

I think we have spoken about this before! :grimacing:

After I posted it I thought I hope Evil doesn’t see this.

Don’t forget you can’t take a regular weekly rest in the cab :wink:

I never thought of that. So it would need one or two nights per week in a premier inn. Not too bad if you get them at £35 per night rather than £100+.

shep532:
Don’t forget you can’t take a regular weekly rest in the cab :wink:

One of the Irish operators, I was told, bought each driver a 2 man tent and told them to put it up next to the truck when they were weekended.

I’ve had a couple of drivers over the years live in the truck for months at a time one for nearly two years constantly ! Also There are some tour drivers that don’t have flats/houses. But ask yourself what quality of life you’ll have. I can guarantee you’d look back at the experience in the couple of years and think - what was I thinking.!

Most of these blokes that do this have social problems.

Wouldn’t worry about getting away from the truck for extended breaks, no one worries about that in the real world.