Extra Training After Passing - Anyone done it?

I mentioned about now being in a class 1 job but it’s pretty straight forward without any scope for reversing practice. It’s a straight drive drop and a tight yard straighten and reverse. Trouble is there’s sometimes too many vans and means you have to start swinging the trailer about a bit as you can’t get a straight line reverse.

Overheard one of the forkies today saying…“he’s not the best reverser is he” and that does it for me. I was already stressing about getting it right. So far I get the reverse done but it takes a few shunts at times if I can’t get the trailer straight.

So with no sleep after the nightshirt terrorising myself about being the best I can (perhaps harshly) I’ve booked in for a wee reverse refresher with my training company tomorrow. Everyone I speak to say don’t be daft as it will come in time. I think I’m doing the right thing though, no point in not doing it and coming unstuck later down the line.

If you can afford to pay for extra specific training then go for it but make sure its realistic and not reversing with cones

Industrial estates with empty premises can be a great tool if the entrances have not been blocked off

When I was instructing in this situation I would often go into premises and ask if we could use their empty bays as practice - cheeky but it usually worked :smiley:

I was wanting to book a few hours but the company I used for my training said come in and do an hour. Instead of using the reversing bay that the tests use they are going to do it in amongst other parked stuff.

Hopefully it will go down as I plan…give them the scenario I’m struggling with and get the training needed for that and add in a couple of other angled tight reverses.

They’ve been very good, and it’s not going to cost the earth thankfully.

Extra reversing training sounds like a great idea to me, I have C+E booked in for the beginning of August and real life reversing into bays sounds a great way to gain some confidence - I am with Peter Smythe and he does offer extra training in the form of a ‘conversion’ course from wag & drag to artic, he was recently asking for for suggestions regarding future training… … what about offering this Pete?

Don’t forget that trailers reverse differently though… It will come in time, we all have to learn at some point

Reversing artics has a lot too do with confidence at first. If extra training gives you this, then why not?

If you get an opportunity, find a large space somewhere, and if you have a couple of empty/knackered pallets in your trailer, stand them on end and try and reverse between them. Worse case scenario, they fall down-so what.

Much easier to reverse knowing that no damage can be done. Another thing this will help with-sussing out reasonably accurately where the end of your trailer ACTUALLY is in relation to the view in your mirrors. Could be especially useful for practicing blind side reversing ?

I am with Peter Smythe and he does offer extra training in the form of a ‘conversion’ course from wag & drag to artic, he was recently asking for for suggestions regarding future training… … what about offering this Pete?

Always been happy to provide additional training when requested. No problem at all.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you’re already in the job, why not ask your employers if they’re ok with you setting up some scenarios for yourself when you get back to base?

I’ve said it many times on here, but if it wasn’t for the fact that the place I now work at hadn’t offered my full use of the company trainer to help me with my reversing, I’d probably still be on rigids. Scared the bejesus out of me.

Just remember, 25 shunts is better than 1 bump. It does get easier with time. Sweat will stop pouring out of you.

The first (and only, probably) week when I didn’t have to take a shunt, felt like a bloody lottery win!

H4L:
ISo far I get the reverse done but it takes a few shunts at times if I can’t get the trailer straight…

Who cares?
1st priority, don’t hurt anyone.
2nd priority, don’t hurt anything.
Beyond that, whether it’s straight in or 20 shunts, as long as you get there the jobs a good’un.

I take my hat off to you for doing some extra training and hope it helps. But also remember that all of us started somewhere! I’m still sometimes taking 2 or 3 goes at some reverses over a year after I passed. I also know I’m a lot better than I was a year ago. Hang in there, and it will get easier, I promise!

When i have to reverse a dam little skip lorry into some ones drive way with Literally millimeters either side on a busy road i tend to break a sweat.
U can feel them drivers looking at you, it can be daunting.
But overtime it goes away.
I just say fak you all, im taking all the road i need and it will take me as long as i need to get in.
Took me few months to galvanize myself .

I image with artic the stress is amplified 10x as its size :slight_smile:

There’s no stress with artic’s Dan.

Same as yourself mate, if you have to spin round or do a reverse, people have to wait.

No alternative anyway.

Cheers guys.

Went today for some reversing practice at the yard in between trucks, around trailers and mini busses etc.

Was very useful for me and was excellent for the understanding of when to put some on and take some off. Confidence and belief is what came back and as everyone says…practice.

Unfortunately I’m not going to get practice as I’m lucky if I reverse three times a week. I’ve booked in for a Saturday morning in a couple of weeks where I can have the yard set out to practice all different types of manouveres.

I’d like to do some ‘refresher’ training as I’ve not driven an artic in 20 years

I have a royal mail assessment coming up, my friend keeps reassuring me it will come back to me istantly, but I don’t know.

The problem is I don’t have £250 to spend, that is how much they have quoted me locally for a day so far :frowning:

It wont come back instantly. It will come back - but it’ll take anything from half hour to a week.

We do a 3 hour course on full size artic for £200. Deduct 10% Trucknet discount and it would cost £180.

Peter Smythe:
It wont come back instantly. It will come back - but it’ll take anything from half hour to a week.

We do a 3 hour course on full size artic for £200. Deduct 10% Trucknet discount and it would cost £180.

really Pete? £180 for 3 hours?
I live in Surrey so it’s a bit of a ‘trek’ to come up to you but I’d do it…

I take it this is monday to friday? ( I would have to take annual leave to come up) do I ring and ask for you to see if we can arrange anything? or PM you on here?

there again…£70 more and I’d have an all day here in Surrey…and if I come up to you £180+petrol+time to get there and back, sorry on re-thinking it does not sound as good anymore… :frowning: never mind