"extra days" question

its getting towards our busy season where the chance for o/t comes up but just wondered if some could refresh my memory about what the RTD says about working extra days and having to have the time off either side of it :neutral_face: .

when i spoke to my dad who is a TM he said that because of my shift patterns i could work on rare occasions on both my ‘rest days’ and still comply with the RTD rest requirments depending on how the ‘working week’ as the RTD sees it fell with my shifts :question: he did try to exaplain it to me but i didnt understand.

i work 4 on 2 off, currently on my last rest day and back at work tomorrow.

in laymans terms please people :blush: :blush: not just copy and paste the relevant section. :wink: :blush: :blush:

cheers.

I don’t see how you could work both rest days when doing 4 on 2 off as that goes over the six day maximum for the EU tacho regs

I reckon your Dad ™ needs to beef up on the current regs - the RT(WTD)R and the EU driver regs as my guess is that he has looked soley at the RT(WTD)R and not th EU driver regs as well.

It might be an idea to put on here what he says is ok in a simple form such as -
work mon to thu
off fri sat
work sun to thu
off fri
etc etc

That way it becomes clear with your particular shift pattern as to what weekly rest periods are or are not required.

ROG:
I don’t see how you could work both rest days when doing 4 on 2 off as that goes over the six day maximum for the EU tacho regs

I reckon your Dad ™ needs to beef up on the current regs - the RT(WTD)R and the EU driver regs as my guess is that he has looked soley at the RT(WTD)R and not th EU driver regs as well.

It might be an idea to put on here what he says is ok in a simple form such as -
work mon to thu
off fri sat
work sun to thu
off fri
etc etc

That way it becomes clear with your particular shift pattern as to what weekly rest periods are or are not required.

well i’d like to think he is update with the r&r’s being the CPC holder as well but when i see him again i will ask. he was telling me while we were sitting in traffic as he was attending a conference VOSA was doing.

was something about if my rest days fall during a certain bracket or something i cant rememeber, i know it had something todo with when the “working week” according to the law started. :confused: :confused:

Cruise Control:
its getting towards our busy season where the chance for o/t comes up but just wondered if some could refresh my memory about what the RTD says about working extra days and having to have the time off either side of it :neutral_face: .

Forget the RTd in relation to working extra days, the EU Driver’s Hours Regulations take precedence here, and the RTD uses the rest requirements of the tacho rules anyway.
Taken from The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005

Rest periods
8. - (1) In the application of these Regulations, the provisions of the Community Drivers’ Hours Regulation relating to daily and weekly rest shall apply to all mobile workers to whom they do not apply under that Regulation as they apply to other mobile workers under that Regulation.

Cruise Control:
when i spoke to my dad who is a TM he said that because of my shift patterns i could work on rare occasions on both my ‘rest days’ and still comply with the RTD rest requirments depending on how the ‘working week’ as the RTD sees it fell with my shifts :question: he did try to exaplain it to me but i didnt understand.

I agree you didn’t understand, either that or your dad needs some serious training as he is way off if he meant that. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: I think I know what he was getting at. He was most likely meaning how your weekly rest periods would fall in relation to the fixed week. The RTD week is the exact same as the week for the tacho rules, seven days beginning at midnight between Sunday and Monday.

Cruise Control:

It may be possible to work on both of those days, in effect work on 10 consecutive days, but it would depend on start finish times of the shifts either side of them and the extra shifts would need to be quite short as you would have to squeeze in a 24 hour rest.

In simple terms you could work one of every 4 rest days - 4 on, 1 extra day, 1 off, 4 on, 2 off, 4 on, 1 extra day, 1 off, 4 on. etc etc.

In not so simple terms it may on occasion be possible to do 2 off, 4 on, 1 off, 1 extra day, 4 on, 1 extra day, 1 off, 4 on 2 off. but that is when it depends on how those days fall in relation to the fixed week and best not to go there because you said -

Cruise Control:
in laymans terms please people

and that starts to get slightly more complicated.

Cruise Control:
was something about if my rest days fall during a certain bracket or something i cant rememeber, i know it had something todo with when the “working week” according to the law started. :confused: :confused:

That could be a reason for confusion CC.

The “working work” does exist in any legal form, whereas “A/The Fixed Week” does - as in Sunday/Monday midnight to the following Sunday/Monday midnight. ( 00:01 hrs Monday to 23:59 hrs Sunday)

The “working week” is merely a term used by Vosa and such as a guide to thinking. ie - YOUR working week doesn’t need to fit into the same time period as the fixed week.

The working week for both regs is mon 0000 to sun 2400

off tue wed - that is the full weekly rest for this current week (mon 0000 to sun 2400)
work thu to sun
off mon tue - that is the full weekly rest for this week (mon 0000 to sun 2400)
work wed to sat
off sun mon - that is the full weekly rest for this week (mon 0000 to sun 2400)
work tue to fri
off sat sun - lets leave this a moment
work mon to thu
off fri sat - that is the full weekly rest for this week (mon 0000 to sun 2400)

The sat sun off that was not needed for a weekly rest cannot be work for both days as the EU regs state a max of six days worked in a row and this may be where your Dad is thinking that you can work the 2 days that you are off.
You could work one of them no problem.

On the other full weekly rests, one day of those could be worked every other one

Extra days worked are ok if you have the RT(WTD)R working time hours, driving time hours, etc etc available to you

I’m not the expert on this so if I have [ZB]ed up then a GURU will correct me :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Cruise Control:

Forget the RTd in relation to working extra days, the EU Driver’s Hours Regulations take precedence here, and the RTD uses the rest requirements of the tacho rules anyway.
Taken from The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005

Rest periods
8. - (1) In the application of these Regulations, the provisions of the Community Drivers’ Hours Regulation relating to daily and weekly rest shall apply to all mobile workers to whom they do not apply under that Regulation as they apply to other mobile workers under that Regulation.

Cruise Control:

I agree you didn’t understand, either that or your dad needs some serious training as he is way off if he meant that. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: I think I know what he was getting at. He was most likely meaning how your weekly rest periods would fall in relation to the fixed week. The RTD week is the exact same as the week for the tacho rules, seven days beginning at midnight between Sunday and Monday.

Cruise Control:

It may be possible to work on both of those days, in effect work on 10 consecutive days, but it would depend on start finish times of the shifts either side of them and the extra shifts would need to be quite short as you would have to squeeze in a 24 hour rest.

In simple terms you could work one of every 4 rest days - 4 on, 1 extra day, 1 off, 4 on, 2 off, 4 on, 1 extra day, 1 off, 4 on. etc etc.

In not so simple terms it may on occasion be possible to do 2 off, 4 on, 1 off, 1 extra day, 4 on, 1 extra day, 1 off, 4 on 2 off. but that is when it depends on how those days fall in relation to the fixed week and best not to go there because you said -

Cruise Control:
in laymans terms please people

and that starts to get slightly more complicated.

reading what you’ve put it does sound familiar now i think thats what he was trying to get across to me :blush: :blush: :blush:

thanks guys.

Cruise Control:
reading what you’ve put it does sound familiar now i think thats what he was trying to get across to me :blush: :blush: :blush:

I knew what he meant and I wasn’t even there, ■■■■ I’m good. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Sounds like your dad is one of the more clued up TM’s, which makes a change. :wink: :laughing: