Extortion Buget Accounts!

You can now get an account to pay those thieving ‘Lumpers’ over here Lad’s :exclamation:

Yesterday I delivered to C&S in Windsor Locks CT and went to see the Lazy extortionists on arrival, I was told the fee to remove 28 pallets from my trailer would be $150 :exclamation: I bit my tongue and hit the sleeper for 4 hours untill the afore mentioned extortionist woke me to tell me I was empty. I offered him the $150 and he said “No need, your company has a buget account with us” :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Whatever next :question: :question: :question:

Better than parting with $150 of your own hard-earned…

I would have got it back when I got to the depot Alli :smiley: and the fact remains it is still extortion :angry:

:confused: I’m glad we don’t have lumpers here. :wink: But hold on :open_mouth: no we are the lumpers, more often than not. :imp: :laughing:

I see C&S is still the same as it was 15 years ago…

Do you have a choice using these lumpers, labourers?

What happens if you refuse to pay them? do you tip yourself? or do you just refuse the delivery, I dont think we understand it here. If Morrico or Safebury want a load, they have to supply the labour.

It just seems like you are on a slippery slope, and what happens in America normally happens here eventually!

Is it just a blast from the past like Gangster Mobs in Chicago supplying labour

Basically theyhave you by the short and curly’s :exclamation:
You can elect to unload your own trailer but must show proof that you have a permit to use an electric pallet truck and / or fork lift. If you say you will break down any layers for them the still charge you for the fork lift use.
It all backfires in the end :exclamation: Lumpers charge drivers, drivers charge the company, company charge the supplier, supplier charge more for the goods so when the ‘Lumper’ and his family go to the supermaket they should know who to blame for the high prices.
I once refused to pay lumpers at C & S in Newburgh NY, I had 26 pallets of paper party plates and the wanted $480 :exclamation: I went into a rage and told them I would unload mysefl, pulled onto another door and went in. The dock guy there asked for my permit and I said I didn’t have one, he said there would be a charge of … $480 :exclamation: he had obviously spoken with te other guy.
I pulled off the dock and went to the office to get my paperwork back and told the manager he could just go without. “But we are waiting for that” he said.
I will not begin to even write the reply he got from me because it would be a line of [ZB]'s. I drove to the gate and was stopped by security who directed me to a dock on the shipping side where I was unloaded for nothing and asked not to tell.
In total contrast, I once arrived at C & S in Brattleboro VT at 7.00pm and went into the office ready to pay the Lazy Lumpers, the woman at the desk told me "We don’t use lumpers here at night, they are just rip off merchants, wait in your cab and we will tell you when you are empty :exclamation:
Less than two weeks after the incident at Newburgh I went there again with an identical load and was charged $120 :exclamation: when I asked why the sharp difference I was told that the first time I was a new looking guy :imp:

I agree with Pat…Its’ a rip off…it should take 1 guy with an electric pallet truck no more than 10 minutes to take off 26 skids…so how the hell do the justify $120++++ :open_mouth: :frowning: :smiley: I’m in the wrong game :smiley:

Bully

I was once quoted the price of $150 for the privilege of having a lumper unload an 8000 lb load of kosher saltines at that lovely Stop & Shop warehouse in central MA. This was 15 years ago, and my company was too cheap to pay anything for a lumper, so I just told them I’d unload it myself.

Of course, that meant the dock crew took forever pulling pallets away, which gave me enough time to either kick or drop nearly every box on that load. I hope that I damaged every last cracker!!

do the lumpers just unload, or do they check and count the number of items etc. :question:

No Dave :exclamation: The companies do employ checkers, they don’t trust the lumpers either.

And Alex, … I once spent 5 hours at the Stop and Shop you mentioned ‘Reading MA’ unless could be Readville, I am mistaken, they make you park half a mile from the office and walk in, then back to your truckt o listen on the CB for them (usualy 3 hours awake). Once empty you must drive back to the compound half a mile away, then walk the distance again to collect your notes :imp:

i dont get this whole lumper thing. :open_mouth:
who loads the trucks then?
are the lumpers tied in with some sort of union?
if was was an 0/0 over there i would carry an electric pump truck in the back of my trailer.
if i was a fleet operator i would make sure i had every driver working for me trained on them to. and carry electric trucks in the trailers.
when i was over there i dont recall seeing many if any of the 55/57 foot trailer loaded anywhere near the back door, there was always enough space for a pump truck.
if you(the company) dont have an account with the lumpers then do you have to pay cash ■■.

Lumpers have a ‘sort’ of union and I was once threatened by them :cry:

We have to pay cash and it is refunded :exclamation:
Our trailers are 48 and 53 ft long, 55 and 57 ft trailers are not permitted in the area. We can offload our own with hand trucks and break down the stack if needed but our company only pays us $50.00 to do it :exclamation: if they can pay a lumper $120.00 they can pay us the same. I don’t drive a truck for hours to get in the back and do labouring :exclamation:

i agree that if they only pay the driver $50 but pay the lumpers $120 then they are taking the mick, but to be honest if it was a straight forward 26 pallet load with no breaking down i would take the $50 for the 20 minute s it would take.
then again im used to unloading myself, i connect a pipe,start an engine and press some buttons, the agony :wink: :laughing:

dave:
i dont get this whole lumper thing. :open_mouth:
who loads the trucks then?

Well, the trailers are usually loaded by the shippers. It’s pretty much just food warehouses that use “casual” labor to unload.

are the lumpers tied in with some sort of union?

No, but since most of them are straight out of prison, they give the appearance of being in a union. Many of them have organized crime backgrounds. The food warehouses accept them in order to keep the building and trucks from being burned…

if was was an 0/0 over there i would carry an electric pump truck in the back of my trailer.
if i was a fleet operator i would make sure i had every driver working for me trained on them to. and carry electric trucks in the trailers.

Well, such things cost money and add weight. Also, if you don’t use the lumpers, then the checkers just ignore you, and it will take longer to unload than it would’ve if you paid the lumper. Everybody on these docks is taking kickbacks.

Also, the eletric pallet jack idea won’t work, because it will get stolen, either by a dock worker or by the driver. I’m sure that a stolen pallet jack will buy enough crack to last a week.

Many O/O’s refuse to go to places such as C&S, Stop & Shop, etc. Even on the west coast, these northeast hell-holes are well known and avoided when possible. Hunt’s Point in NYC is also a place to avoid.

when i was over there i dont recall seeing many if any of the 55/57 foot trailer loaded anywhere near the back door, there was always enough space for a pump truck.

57’ trailers are only allowed in the deep south and the southwest and west coast. If you’ve ever hauled empty cans, insulation, foam rolls, etc, you’ll use all the space available in them.

if you(the company) dont have an account with the lumpers then do you have to pay cash ■■.

Unloading accounts are a way of trying to get a bit less corruption in the whole thing. No, if you use a service, you don’t have to pay cash.

So, basically lumpers are a bunch of criminals that threaten companies with arson etc… if they are not used :question:

I met and beat some “Real Criminals” yesterday in Carteret NJ.

I was awakened by the lumpers at Clark Paper Plus at 6.00am.
“It will be $250” said the guy.
“I was told $140” I replied.
“NO ! … 250 or we don’t do it”
I told him I only carry $200 on me, so he sugested I drop the trailer on the door and visit an ATM and he would settle for $225.
I reversed ontp the door and over he sneaks, “If the company ask you only paid $140 OK ?, I will give you a reciept for the $225, but don’t flash it around here”
Well :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: I can put 2 and 2 together and know that if this happened and my company questioned it they will phone Clarks who would see a reciept for the $140 and think that yours trully was fixing things. I phoned my boss, who agree’d the $225, but after considering it I called back and told him exactly what had been said to cover myself. He went mad :imp: “I’m gonna call those thieving people right now”
“No :exclamation: Don’t do that, wait till I am out of here” he hung up :exclamation:
I had visions of vanishing on my exit and never beeing seen by my family again, this was not the back waters of Glens Falls, this was New Jersey and the pit of NJ to be honest, where organised crime is rife including among lumper groups, but he had no idea. I phoned again and he told me to pay and he would sort it out if he ever gets through to Clarks, I paid and left there post haste. On return to the yard I was told that Clark’s appologised and next time I would be offloaded free.
“There isn’t gonna be a next time” I told the boss, “Because off loading the truck is not the only thing those guys will do to me”
It seems one guy, probably the gang leader was excorted from the place and the others talked to. You can bet your life they will be looking hard for me in the future :confused:

i’ve never used a lumper. i’ve always unloaded the truck myself at those grocery warehouse places. I’ve been to quite a few of those places that have been mentioned, i.e. hunt’s point, carteret, i think there is one in seacaucus that i use to go to and the most street like one i can remember going to is in one of the caldwells. there all pretty much the same. its all street talk. as far as the pallet jack is concerned, yeah, that thing would could snatched up real quick if left on the back of the truck. the non-electric types are a safer bet but i’ve seen them disappear as well. not that it’s ever bothered me. i didn’t pay for it.