External Transport Managers Hours

It seems that the Senior Traffic Commissioner has changed the amount of hours an External Transport Manager has to devote to an operator to:-

Motor Vehicles Proposed Hours (per week)
2 or less 02 – 04
3 to 5 04 – 08
6 to 10 08 – 12
11 to 14 12 – 20
15 to 29 20 – 30
30 to 50 30 – full time
Above 50 Full time and additional assistance required

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … nagers.pdf

I don’t think it’s just for the external transport managers but for transport managers as a whole. Good to see common sense has finally prevailed as the previous 8 hours for 1-3 trucks was far too much in my opinion.

Say you’re running 3 wagons, how login does it actually take to check the 15 defect reports a week, 3 time sheets and download 3 cards. Admittedly some will have all the invoicing etc to sort out but as a self billing operator I have no invoicing to do as it is completed throughout the week by the driver.
Matt.

Whilst the hours for each operation have been reduced, the number of operations has not been increased, which whilst the reduction does make sense, it does mean that external transport managers may have their income considerably reduced, without the opportunity to act for more operators, to compensate.

This could go one of several ways for TM’s…some may try and get a few restricted licence holders on board to fill in the gaps, if they can find enough who have call for the work or have been told to get a CPC holder as a special measure following a PI…I know a couple who fall into this category. There still seems to be a ceiling on what a TM can earn though, spending half the week on the golf course is fine but not if you can’t pay the bills…