External Transport Manager

I am trying to find out how many External Transport Managers there are in the UK. I have made a (so far) unsuccessful request under the FOI. If you are an External Transport Manager, please may I ask you to send to me a PM (private message) with an indication of region. I am just interested to know what the ratio is of external to internal. Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to know? seems rather intrusive and nosey so post up your reasons why!!

Business related question I bet …Looking for an angle to make money !

Said cynical ex owner driver .

Not nosey or money making. We are an exposed and vulnerable breed. We are not protected by employment law or by being Ltd Co.s or having a union/association. We sign up to have effective and continuous control which is difficult. We are viewed by the authorities as acting in name only. We have to pass a substantial exam. I was wondering whether There are just a handful of us or are we a significant part of this industry.

The examination isn’t particularly substantial/difficult.

Part one is multiple choice, part two is open book.

You are only exposed or vulnerable, if you allow yourself to be, by not having effective and continuous control that you signed up for!

I would hazard there are more than you might think, I looked into it, but decided I couldn’t do it properly and still drive really, so I stuck to what I knew best.

Freedom of information dept came back saying Dft dont hold records showing whether TMs are external. Replies to my post indicate that external TMs are on an average of 3 licences and their fees vary by 100%. I would still like to form an External Transport Managers Associaton if there was sufficient interest.

A part of my business is as an external TM. In my experience and from information garnished within the industry the average fee is £20/£30 per hour.

pizzalover2:
A part of my business is as an external TM. In my experience and from information garnished within the industry the average fee is £20/£30 per hour.

£30 per hour. Blimey, I might start putting my CPC to some use :smiley:

The real question is how many of them actually know there stuff and keep up to date? Not many. the amount of times I have seen a company have a Transport Manager who inherited his CPC is unbelievable. I remember once having to pull in one the ‘on paper’ TM at one of my old firms for driving infringments and he couldn’t even understand Drivers Hours properly ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i thought you already had SOETM

I would certainly put mine to use, if any offers came my way. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Optimum:
We are not protected by employment law or by being Ltd Co.s

I don’t use mine or ever really investigated doing so, but I can’t see any reason you couldn’t create a Ltd. Co for yourself if you wanted to - equally I’m not sure what the benefits would be.