External Transport manager wanted and possible ops licence

Hi guys, would like to get up and running, but not sent my ops licence form off (at time of writing), also need external transport manager.
I do know what I’m asking and ten mins in the company of me I’m sure would ease any worries. I’m sober character and of good standing.and take trucking possibly a bit more serious than I should sometimes.
Thanks in advance
Matt Wood

Hello Matt, if you are looking for an external manager it would help to say where you are from as VOSA have fairly rigid guidelines about how far away a TM can live from the operation.

My opinion is do your CPC, I think it was about £850 be your own TM then it’s yours, done and dusted, saves paying out each month and the hassle, not sure but I can’t imagine anyone would let you run your trucks on their operators licence, but I might be wrong.
There should be a course in September = go for it.

Just thinking aloud if I were to be your TM I’d want (I wouldn’t be a TM for anyone else)
Vehicle maintenance undergone by a reputable company
Records to be impeccable
Daily vehicle & driver records up loaded
Weekly vehicle tacho uploaded

1 infringement and you’d be on a warning, 2nd infringement I’d no longer be your TM where does that leave you ?
I think you’d be in a very vulnerable position.

So Matt Wood Transport what kind of transport are you currently undertaking if your outside of an OL and what kind of transport are you proposing to undertake ?

Are you Matt Wood from Staffordshire ?

Thank you Harry monk I would be on Nottingham, derby border.

Thank you muck spreader, and whilst I’m well aware of the onus on anyone to be attached to me, I would run exactly as i would want anyone else to run for me.
I’m not Matt Wood from staffs.
My plan is to take the cpc in nov, -already have funds, work, and yard, so at best with interim have wheels turning in January (with interim licence) but would obviously prefer to be running now.

In all honesty, I already know I wouldn’t let another use my cpc or ops licence had I already been running, but just maybe there’s someone out there who remembers what I’m facing, or an old retired boy that’s not quite ready to not have his hand totally out of the game, has the time to ensure I’m doing as he wanted , and maybe even give me a few pointers.as the old saying goes, “they’ve prob forgot more than I know at the mo”
Thanks in advance
Matt wood
Nottingham

Don’t count on getting interim if this is to be first application, expect it to to take three months.
Keep looking maybe a local add will turn up a TM, as for running on some one else’ olicence, very very risky.

Muckspreader:
My opinion is do your CPC, I think it was about £850 be your own TM then it’s yours, done and dusted, saves paying out each month and the hassle, not sure but I can’t imagine anyone would let you run your trucks on their operators licence, but I might be wrong.

Just thinking aloud if I were to be your TM I’d want (I wouldn’t be a TM for anyone else)
Records to be impeccable

1 infringement and you’d be on a warning, 2nd infringement I’d no longer be your TM where does that leave you ?

So Matt Wood Transport what kind of transport are you currently undertaking if your outside of an OL and what kind of transport are you proposing to undertake ?

2 infringements■■?

As someone else has mentioned no chance of interim for a newbie really.

Just on a general point there are circumstances where you can get away with using someone else’s o-licence and that is if you deliver someone’s goods and they have a restricted licence with spare margin themselves. A TC probably won’t like it but as long as you’re solely delivering that companies own goods to delivery points as directed by them it is technically difficult to argue you are doing anything wrong. May not be of any help to you but might be useful to somone.

Own Account Driver:

Muckspreader:

Records to be impeccable

2 infringements■■?

Just on a general point there are circumstances where you can get away with using someone else’s o-licence and that is if you deliver someone’s goods and they have a restricted licence with spare margin themselves. A TC probably won’t like it but as long as you’re solely delivering that companies own goods to delivery points as directed by them it is technically difficult to argue you are doing anything wrong. May not be of any help to you but might be useful to somone.

i got an interim as a newbie, only difference was id been runs vans for 8 years before getting our o’licence, i got my intermin then i got my licence 2 weeks later :unamused: 9 weeks in total

I’m not sure I agree with the statement of very very risky, as stated, I think you can make an appropriate assessment of someone’s intentions and trust your own first impression of someone. And let’s be realistic, every time you employ a driver you are letting someone else use your ops licence, and if that was the biggest thing to consider in this game then I would be grateful. Thanks in advance

Then we have a differnt view of risk. Get caught running on some elses operators licence and you can kiss your repute goodby oh and that of your tm.

burnley-si:

Own Account Driver:

Muckspreader:

Records to be impeccable

2 infringements■■?

i got an interim as a newbie, only difference was id been runs vans for 8 years before getting our o’licence, i got my intermin then i got my licence 2 weeks later :unamused: 9 weeks in total

I was the same ,got interim straight away and started on green score as I’d owned the pick up from new ,they had all my mot and road side history from the previous 6 years which was nearly all good .

Own Account Driver:

Muckspreader:

Records to be impeccable

2 infringements■■?

One of the main purposes of an Interim O licence is to allow first-time operators to start trading ‘during’ the full O licence application. The discretionary granting of an Interim licence is NOT a guarantee that the full O licence will be granted as applied for. There is a non-refundable fee for an Interim application.

On the second point: O licecnes are non-transferable between undertakings (businesses) regardless of what size of margin the customer has on their own Restricted licence. They may hire in vehicles to bolster their fleet, but if said vehicle comes with a driver then the O licensing responsibility falls on the company supplying the vehicle & driver (subbie). Beware. Can’t be done - otherwise everyone would be at it!!!

My general experience is interims are not handed out willy-nilly and the frequent experience heard is the decision is not made on them massively before the granting of the actual licence. That may be what it says on the tin with interims but predominantly, in reality, their main use is as a buffer when operators move premises.

There are several restricted operators doing what I have outlined in the knowledge of the authorities. They were told though any issues with hours or maintenance and the licence would be revoked. The one I have direct experience of is a big blue chip PLC engineering company using 7.5 tonners belonging to the drivers but used exclusively for their work/deliveries.