External Diesel Containers

The usual reason for the carrying of fuel in this way is you will find the boss is a tight fisted penny pincher (In a nutshell) Nuff said… :open_mouth:

We do carry fuel cards, but where we go it is sometime hard to find fueling places, or the other option is spending a lot of time parked in one place with the engine running.

Then again, the trucks are at their maximum weight anyway such as a 7.5t is 7.4t etc etc.

Thanks though

Cheers

I will start by saying I don’t know. I suspect that the people you might fall foul of is H&SE. You need to talk to someone in ADR industry. It may be down to size of cans you are carring fuel in, and if you then need ADR training and orange plates and all that stuff. Hope it points you in right direction :unamused: :unamused:

I don’t know the answer but would suspect that in part the answer will depend upon the quantity & type of container the fuel is in.
Some of these types of questions can become very complicated, for example as a sometime bus / coach driver if I transport someone in an electric wheel chair, then if it’s a coach I need to strap them in, do nothing if its a bus, or if it’s an a electric wheel chair travelling with a passenger then it depends upon what type of battery it is, for how I need to transport the battery after I have removed it, which I must do if it’s luggage.
I think in your position I would be talking to the people who make & enforce the rules the HSE & VOSA.
I have always found the VI / VOSA very helpful & keen to give as much help as possible & the HSE have a free helpline.

At risk of being wrong. I would say that there is no problem :stuck_out_tongue:

Virtualy every Eastern European truck or trailer is fited with a rack to carry 2 or 3 Jerricans of DERV. They were legal to run like this in Holland and Germany where the ATB and BAG are very strict on ADR regs. The Jerricans are certificated by TUV and are secure. Leaking diesel on a road is a definate no-no

There is a law about carrying petrol or even storing it in a shed without a licence.

5 litres in a can is fine for the lawnmower, but if you start storing 45 gallon drums, expect a visit from the Fire Service

Hi Folks

I’m currently working for a firm that sends some of it’s larger trucks out with jerry cans of diesel strapped to the rear load bay (usually plant type trucks) for longer range and for running the engine all the time. Usually at least 50 litres but occasionally more.

Can someone point me to some online resources specifying the legal point of view? I’ve asked around and found details on the petrol side of things but as I may be moving up to these soon I’d like to be “up” on the relevant laws.

Thanks

hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/65-9.htm

is one such document.

as far I know you can carry a certain amount of diesel in a properly constructed container (jerry can) but you cannot carry diesel a plastic container.

if I were you I would seek proper guidance on this as after all it is your licence and cash (fine) that is at stake

This is a subject that has cropped up at work before and yes it has caused some confusion.
I have on occassion carried an extra 25 - 50 litre of derv in plastic containers, when I am working in remote areas. Working a HIAB crane all day with a 250 litre tank can leave you a bit short at times to get home. I have never been told that the container needs to be steel or that plastic is illegal. I have a risk assesment in my cab regarding the carrying of fuel oil and gas. I will check it next time at work.

What I can say is that if you intend to board a ferry which sails outwith inland waters you will be committing an offence. Since any additional container carrying fuel requires full ADR permits and regulations. (found out he hard way when going to work in the Western Isles, they would not let me board until I got rid of it, even the empty container requires a tank cleaning certificate.)

We also have a 7.5t truck which is fitted with a purpose built belly tank approx 200 litres for carrying gas oil. The driver has no ADR and is not required to have one. The truck does have to carry the small adr diamond flammable sign.

Skyhool,

The explanation given to me some time ago was that a Jerry Can is a properly constructed container for deisel/petrol (you can also obtain a proper pouring spout for them)

Whereas these 20/25lt plastic containers are not and as far as I know there are no spouts for them therefore spillage can be a problem.

I was also told that although you cannot CARRY deisel in a plastic container but you can STORE it in one.

But of course we all know that plastic is cheap and often disposed of as waste

Right ! … I’ve got my guide to transporting gas oil & derv home.

I will try and keep it short and simple -

If you carry gas oil or derv in Drums, jerry cans, UN approved wheeled bowsers or UN approved IBC’s (termed ‘Packaged Goods’.)

Option 1 =
If you are carrying more than a total of 1000litres on the vehicle you are subject to using UN approved packaging, packaging, marking and labelling to UN min standard (eg. UN 1202 Gas Oil, hazard diamond (minimum 100mm x 100mm). FULL ADR Operational Provisions - CORE. certificates and vehicle standard. (orange placard front & rear)

Option 2 =
If you are carrying UPTO 1000 litres. You must comply with - subject to using UN approved packaging, packaging, marking and labelling to UN min standard (eg. UN 1202 Gas Oil, hazard diamond minimum 100mm x 100mm). ‘Light’ Operational Provisions ( driver instructed on hazards and emergency action, 2kg fire extinguisher in cab, PPE.

So it seems that you are legal to carry upto 1000 litres of fuel without requiring a full ADR certificate.
Items could include - jerry cans, site bowsers, generators and nurse tanks.

But do my ex hydraulic oil plastic 25 litre drums qualify as UN approved containers for gas oil/derv■■?

Hope this sheds some light on a grey area.

To answer my own question -
No they are not legal because they do not have UN markings (marking and labelling to UN min standard (eg. UN 1202 Gas Oil, hazard diamond minimum 100mm x 100mm).

I’m no ADR expert ('cos i’ve forgot most of it) but I do know that empty jerry cans are still subject to the regs until they’ve been cleaned and properly vented and certified as such.

As there are no replies after a week, and 43 people have viewed it, I would assume from that that either the question has never come up previously, it’s not a relevant question for here or no-one knows.

I’ve no problem in carrying 20 L jerry cans of petrol in my car, and have now seen the regulations, but still aren’t any the wiser over diesel.

Traffic Police think it’s illegal, VI are unsure over diesel and HODs aren’t specific enough… In time someone will eventually reply…

I would assume from that that either the question has never come up previously, it’s not a relevant question for here or no-one knows.

Sorry Dented ! the reason I didn’t reply was the third one :frowning:

Sorry Dented,
Don’t think this question has ever come up before,all questions on TrucknetUK are relevant and I’m one of the 43 who have read your question but don’t know an answer :confused:

However, a couple of suggestions:
From the legal angle, why not e-mail the query to : patric.cunnane@rbi.co.uk (-he’s the legal editor at the well known weekly transport mag. ‘Commercial Motor’)

or, from the bodywork angle, look around the body for a small makers’ metal plate with name & address etc. on it. They may have made a body with an extra fuel tank (against the bulkhead, for example) for a specific customer and will be able to confirm whether construction & use requirements have been met.Contact their sales department - if anyone should know, they will!

Hope this helps,
Graham.

Sorry I didn’t know either.

Have had a thought though, breakdown crews will carry fuel in Jerry cans. I wonder if a garage would tell you how that works?