Extended hours question

can you still extend your shift by an hour if you have more than 4 hrs rest in not more than 2 seperate periods? say on a 13 hr day ? and could i have 10hrs daily rest instead of 11 ? cheers peeps

if you take 4 hours off during your shift, you can take a 9 hour rest, and do a 15 hour working day, but the 9 will count as an 11.

limeyphil:
if you take 4 hours off during your shift, you can take a 9 hour rest, and do a 15 hour working day, but the 9 will count as an 11.

is that a 15 today or tomorrow? ive done my 3 15s this week ? sorry for bein thick lol

limeyphil:

is that a 15 today or tomorrow? ive done my 3 15s this week ? sorry for bein thick lol

As Phil said, you can do a 15hr day every working day if you’ve had a break of 3hrs or more in 1 go.
It’s called a ‘split daily rest’ and means that you’re not doing a reducer by being on duty over 13hrs.

waynedl:
As Phil said, you can do a 15hr day every working day if you’ve had a break of 3hrs or more in 1 go.
It’s called a ‘split daily rest’ and means that you’re not doing a reducer by being on duty over 13hrs.

ok thanx for that chaps wasnt sure if the law had changed used to do it years ago

it has changed a little bit. you used to be allowed to take an 8 hour rest, if you had taken 4 off beforehand.
but the mathmeticians are convinced now, that 3 hours + 9 hours = 11 hours.

i can’t remember where i heard this one, i don’t know if it was on here or not. but here goes.
if johnny has 5 sweets, and a muslim asks for 1. how many sweets does johnny have?

waynedl:

thought it had to be in the 24hrs 3+9 hrs rest equals 12hrs leaving only 12 in the day and the extra 3 hrs must go over to the next day !!
I’m probably wrong but sure someone will be along shortly to put us right :smiley: :smiley:

Foxstein:

waynedl:

thought it had to be in the 24hrs 3+9 hrs rest equals 12hrs leaving only 12 in the day and the extra 3 hrs must go over to the next day !!
I’m probably wrong but sure someone will be along shortly to put us right :smiley: :smiley:

I’m not 100% sure what you mean but it sounds wrong :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

You can have a split daily rest period allowing you to do a 15 hour spread-over without it counting as a reduced daily rest period.

If you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift you can have 9 hours rest at the end of the shift and it does not count as a reduced daily rest period.

As always the final 9 hours rest must be competed within the period of 24 hours from start of shift.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by “the extra 3 hrs must go over to the next day” but I’m pretty sure it’s wrong anyway, there’s no need to compensate in any way for the 3 hours if that’s what you mean.

limeyphil:
i can’t remember where i heard this one, i don’t know if it was on here or not. but here goes.
if johnny has 5 sweets, and a muslim asks for 1. how many sweets does johnny have?

tachograph:

Foxstein:

waynedl:

You can have a split daily rest period allowing you to do a 15 hour spread-over without it counting as a reduced daily rest period.

If you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift you can have 9 hours rest at the end of the shift and it does not count as a reduced daily rest period.

As always the final 9 hours rest must be competed within the period of 24 hours from start of shift.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by “the extra 3 hrs must go over to the next day” but I’m pretty sure it’s wrong anyway, there’s no need to compensate in any way for the 3 hours if that’s what you mean.

just trying to see how you can do 15 hrs a day when there is only 12 hrs left

Foxstein:

tachograph:

Foxstein:

waynedl:

They’re referring to 15 hour spread-over not 15 hours working time :wink:

Spread-over is generally referred to as the time from start to end of shift.

15 hours spread-over + the final 9 hours daily rest = 24 hours :wink:

largebloke1969:
can you still extend your shift by an hour if you have more than 4 hrs rest in not more than 2 seperate periods? say on a 13 hr day ? and could i have 10hrs daily rest instead of 11 ? cheers peeps

No.

I hope that helps

switchlogic:
I hope that helps

You hope what helps ?

jessicas dad:

limeyphil:

correct.

tachograph:

Foxstein:

tachograph:

Foxstein:

waynedl:

They’re referring to 15 hour spread-over not 15 hours working time :wink:

Spread-over is generally referred to as the time from start to end of shift.

15 hours spread-over + the final 9 hours daily rest = 24 hours :wink:

have hi-lighted the bits that don’t add up, surely your 24hr period starts from the start of your shift and you must have a minimum of 9 ( reduced rest) within that 24 hr period. 3+9 within the same 24hr period for split daily rest or 11hrs for normal daily rest
taken from VOSA
Daily rest periods
A driver must take a daily rest period within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily
or weekly rest period. An 11-hour (or more) daily rest is called a regular daily rest period.
so if your split daily rest finished at 0600 you would have to take the rest within the next 24hr period. and if that was a split daily rest it would be 12 hrs. leaving only 12 hrs working/shift time till 0600
Am I missing something here? :blush:

Foxstein:
Am I missing something here? :blush:

Yes your mixing up duty time/spreadover, the time between start and end of your shift and the time that doesn’t count as rest, 12 hours in this case.

Yes you would have 12 hours of rest and 12 hours for driving, other work, POA and breaks but the 3 hour rest period would be between the start and end of the shift so would be part of the shift time. You don’t go into the digi menu and end you shift at the start of the 3 hour period then start a new shift at the end of it, or remove the chart and do the SDR/EDR or EOD/SOD thing, so the 3 hour period is part of a single shift of 15 hours in this case.

Using your 06:00 start time as an example.

06:00 start of shift.

12:00 Start first part of split rest.

15:00 end first part of split rest.

21:00 end of shift.

Second part of split rest, 9 hours.

06:00 start new shift and new 24 hour period.

12 hours rest, 12 hours of work - driving, other work, POA and break, 15 hours duty time/spread over/shift.

When I used to run to Dublin and split my rest every day for 6 days I would have a roughly a 4 hour then a 10 hour period for the split rest but my shifts would be around the 14 hour mark and that’s what I would be paid for.

switchlogic:
I hope that helps

Indeed, one always has that hope.

Coffeeholic:
Yes you would have 12 hours of rest and 12 hours for driving, other work, POA and breaks but the 3 hour rest period would be between the start and end of the shift so would be part of the shift time. You don’t go into the digi menu and end you shift at the start of the 3 hour period then start a new shift at the end of it, or remove the chart and do the SDR/EDR or EOD/SOD thing, so the 3 hour period is part of a single shift of 15 hours in this case.

I get it I think :blush: just got the impression that the original OP was just trying to get an extra hour in, we all presumed he was either on a ferry or had a bunk to sleep on, or have I got that mixed up too :blush: :blush: :blush: