Explain this technology

Now ive never heard of this before infact when i hear the women refer to it i always assumed she was talking about those blue things a bit like cameras you see here and there on certain roads. What am i talking about? When the traffic women on the radio says…

Our speed sensors show congestion!!!

The presenter (euan cameroon) on the radio asked what the speed sensors where, the women said they are fitted to every new car and the data goes to traffic scotland.

This sounds too far fetched?

Thats bull.

Its the blue cameras you see on most major roads. They are like Specs cameras but they cant do you for speeding, they just monitor average speeds.

There is also data sent by things like TomToms and built in navi which feeds into the system but that is more a case of the satellite systems tracking how fast a given receiver is moving away from it. As far as I know, and I used to be a new car salesman so I know a lot more than a layman, there is no data on your vehicle being passed and stored wirelessly. Doing so without your express consent or at least a notification of the organisation storing the data and processing it, along with the reason for the processing, would be a breach of the Data Protection Act.

That will teach you for listening to that Real Radio pish! :laughing:

I thought those blue boxes were part of the traffic master system and cars with it fitted ping an ID to each box on a route. Thats how they get an average speed.

The simplest type of speed sensors are the wire loops in the road surface.
Nothing hi-tech, it just records the time it takes a vehicle to get from one side of the loop to the other.

My car and the mrs’s car both bleep when they go path those blue cameras. Renault and Vauxhall can’t explain to me why and I had no idea until now

Martin:
The simplest type of speed sensors are the wire loops in the road surface.
Nothing hi-tech, it just records the time it takes a vehicle to get from one side of the loop to the other.

Simpler still are the white squares that aid the police timing vehicles over a given distance.

I’m not saying the police are all simple btw.

nsmith1180:
Thats bull.

there is no data on your vehicle being passed and stored wirelessly. Doing so without your express consent or at least a notification of the organisation storing the data and processing it, along with the reason for the processing, would be a breach of the Data Protection Act.

That is also bull. The Data Protection Act concerns itself only with “Personal Data” - i.e. data relating to a living individual and from which that person can be identified.

For several years now TomTom have been using anonymous data regarding the average speed of Vodafone mobile phones as they move along the road network to provide the basis for their HD Traffic system. Because it is anonymous (i.e. the individual phone owner/user cannot be identified from it) it is perfectly OK and of no relevance to the DPA.

damoq:
That will teach you for listening to that Real Radio pish! :laughing:

by saying its pish you actually praising it you know, steve ketchup McKenna ffs

I thought they had fancy sensors in the road now but hey I just a truck driver :smiley:

Roymondo:

nsmith1180:
Thats bull.

there is no data on your vehicle being passed and stored wirelessly. Doing so without your express consent or at least a notification of the organisation storing the data and processing it, along with the reason for the processing, would be a breach of the Data Protection Act.

That is also bull. The Data Protection Act concerns itself only with “Personal Data” - i.e. data relating to a living individual and from which that person can be identified.

For several years now TomTom have been using anonymous data regarding the average speed of Vodafone mobile phones as they move along the road network to provide the basis for their HD Traffic system. Because it is anonymous (i.e. the individual phone owner/user cannot be identified from it) it is perfectly OK and of no relevance to the DPA.

Devices sending wireless data have a unique mac address.

Cars have a vin number.

Manufacturers would have records of both.

Thus, with the aid of a dvla search some one could link the data to the registered keeper of the vehicle. Therefore it is traceable personal data.

time too buy the tin foil and wrap the car in it lol

m1cks:
I thought those blue boxes were part of the traffic master system and cars with it fitted ping an ID to each box on a route. Thats how they get an average speed.

Correct they are…
I still have 1 of those little pyramid shaped AA gizmos that picks up the local info from them and displays various symbols for the traffic conditions ahead
oceanrowing.com/redted/mobil … h_1800.htm
ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-Vodafone-P … 43bf47fa96

nsmith1180:

Cars have a vin number.

Thus, with the aid of a dvla search some one could link the data to the registered keeper of the vehicle. Therefore it is traceable personal data.

But only if the full unique identifier is stored or processed. e.g. With the Trafficmaster cameras, the full VRM is captured by the camera but the first and last characters are discarded, leaving only the central 5 characters stored/transmitted/processed so that average vehicle speed between the cameras can be calculated. It is impossible to rebuild the full VRM from the data stream as the discarded characters are simply not present.

A similar principle could easily have a non-unique code generated from the MAC which is sufficiently identifiable for short term/immediate vicinity identification in order to see how fast things are moving, but from which it is impossible to reconstruct the original MAC.

Roymondo:

nsmith1180:

Cars have a vin number.

But only if the full unique identifier is stored or processed. e.g. With the Trafficmaster cameras, the full VRM is captured by the camera but the first and last characters are discarded, leaving only the central 5 characters stored/transmitted/processed so that average vehicle speed between the cameras can be calculated. It is impossible to rebuild the full VRM from the data stream as the discarded characters are simply not present.

A similar principle could easily have a non-unique code generated from the MAC which is sufficiently identifiable for short term/immediate vicinity identification in order to see how fast things are moving, but from which it is impossible to reconstruct the original MAC.

First, sorry for the short sharp shrift, I was posting from my phone which I hate!

I agree it would be difficult to link the data sets but it wouldn’t be impossible. The data carrier would have a full record of the MAC address for example. Or using the traffic cams in conjunction with the MAC data you could link a partial VRM to a partial MAC. The DPA implications are there, but as recent revalations have shown, if someone wants to track you they are going to be able to do it.

My concern is that I have no ability to consent or refuse to be tracked, except for not going to work.

It doesn’t have to be a partial MAC - just a non-unique code generated from it (e.g. the sum of all six pairs). Hash this code with say, the current date and you could easily produce a truly anonymous “identifier” that would never be generated again by your particular vehicle, let alone be traceable to it. This code would not be unique (far from it), but suffice for this purpose.

I thought that from next year all new cars would have a gps transmitter built in which would/could aid the emergency services locate the vehicle in the event of an accident, i saw this being tested on tv a while ago
in the future the technology will go much further as soon as laws are changed to allow this

Do not be fooled for a minute that you are not trackable & traceable , if you have a mobile phone that’s switched on you can be found even with out signal , everytime you swipe your bank card they know when & where & can link that info to cctv, just type your name & town you live into Google & there’s probably a wealth of info about you & if you use Facebook your putting info out there for all to see & use , how many of you use the check-in function ?! …