Expired Driver Card

Hi there. First time poster. Would appreciate any help. I have been out of work for a few Months and have just managed to get some Agency driving work starting(believe it or not) tomorrow. On inspection, i have found that due to my own stupidity my Digital Tachograph Card expired over a Month ago. I have been told by my Agency that i can drive for 15 days until a new card arrives. I am wondering if someone could tell me if this was true. I have read everything i can find about this but it doesn’t seem to say anything anywhere about my situation. It states “You can only drive without a card if the one you have previously been issued is lost, stolen, damaged or is malfunctioning. You can drive without a driver card for up to 15 calendar days, or longer if it is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its premises, as long as you can prove that you could not use the card during this period.” Mine is neither of these and would the 15 days not start the day my card expired.

andykdy:
Hi there. First time poster. Would appreciate any help. I have been out of work for a few Months and have just managed to get some Agency driving work starting(believe it or not) tomorrow. On inspection, i have found that due to my own stupidity my Digital Tachograph Card expired over a Month ago. I have been told by my Agency that i can drive for 15 days until a new card arrives. I am wondering if someone could tell me if this was true. I have read everything i can find about this but it doesn’t seem to say anything anywhere about my situation. It states “You can only drive without a card if the one you have previously been issued is lost, stolen, damaged or is malfunctioning. You can drive without a driver card for up to 15 calendar days, or longer if it is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its premises, as long as you can prove that you could not use the card during this period.” Mine is neither of these and would the 15 days not start the day my card expired.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK :wink:

Sorry to tell you that the agency have misinformed you, if you have a driver card you can only drive for the 15 days without it if it’s faulty lost or stolen.

As your driver card is out of date you could not legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph until you’ve renewed your driver card.

Hi, Thank you for the welcome.
Yes, i thought so. I just couldn’t find anything on-line for my unusual(stupid) situation.lol. The thing is because i’ve just realised my card is expired i haven’t even applied for a new one yet. I tried to explain that to the Agency. The main clue being the word ‘expired’ which happened well over 15 days ago. So it’s correct that the 15 day rule would only apply from 15 days before expiry date and/or 15 days after expiry date(15 days over these periods).

andykdy:
Yes, i thought so. I just couldn’t find anything on-line for my unusual(stupid) situation.lol. The thing is because i’ve just realised my card is expired i haven’t even applied for a new one yet. I tried to explain that to the Agency. The main clue being the word ‘expired’ which happened well over 15 days ago. So it’s correct that the 15 day rule would only apply from 15 days before expiry date and/or 15 days after expiry date(15 days over these periods).

You can’t drive for 15 days after the expiry of the driver card, you need to apply for a new card in time for it to reach you before the old one expires, you only get 15 days if the card is faulty lost or stolen.

Article C on page 2 of form D777B (DL) says “You cannot drive if your card has expired”.

You could try phoning the DVLA on 0300 790 6109 and asking if there’s any way you can drive whilst you’re waiting for a new card, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope I’m afraid :frowning:

Good luck :wink:

tachograph:

andykdy:

You can’t drive for 15 days after the expiry of the driver card, you need to apply for a new card in time for it to reach you before the old one expires, you only get 15 days if the card is faulty lost or stolen.

Article C on page 2 of form D777B (DL) says “You cannot drive if your card has expired”.

You could try phoning the DVLA on 0300 790 6109 and asking if there’s any way you can drive whilst you’re waiting for a new card, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope I’m afraid :frowning:

Good luck :wink:

As tacho said. Just to add you can’t even drive analog since your digi has expired

nick2008:
Just to add you can’t even drive analog since your digi has expired

Not sure that is legally correct because the rules say that if the driver has a CURRENT digicard it must be carried and this driver does not have a current one - this driver also states that it expired over 28 days ago so the expired one would not be required at a roadside check

On that note then Rog, is it mandatory for all drivers to have a digi card? I am referring to the stereotypical old boy in his 1990’s cattle wagon fitted with analogue.

Lusk:
On that note then Rog, is it mandatory for all drivers to have a digi card? I am referring to the stereotypical old boy in his 1990’s cattle wagon fitted with analogue.

There is no legal requirement for a driver to have a digicard but of course without one they cannot legally drive a vehicle under EU regs fitted with a digi tacho

Lusk:
is it mandatory for all drivers to have a digi card? I am referring to the stereotypical old boy in his 1990’s cattle wagon fitted with analogue.

It’s not compulsory to have a driver card, you cannot legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph on EU rules unless you have one but that doesn’t stop you driving a vehicle fitted with an analogue tachograph.

The only rule is that if you do have a driver card you must carry it even if you never use it.

Not quite Tacho…

Taken from
nidirect.gov.uk/sm/digital-t … iver-cards

The renewal reminder is a courtesy service provided by DVA and is sent to your last recorded address. You are responsible for ensuring that your digital tachograph driver card is renewed prior to the expiry of your existing card. You must also make sure that the personal details on your card and driving licence are correct.Please note: you cannot drive if your card has expired.

It does not differentiate between digi and analog

tachograph:

Lusk:
is it mandatory for all drivers to have a digi card? I am referring to the stereotypical old boy in his 1990’s cattle wagon fitted with analogue.

It’s not compulsory to have a driver card, you cannot legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph on EU rules unless you have one but that doesn’t stop you driving a vehicle fitted with an analogue tachograph.

The only rule is that if you do have a driver card you must carry it even if you never use it.

nick2008:
Not quite Tacho…

Taken from
nidirect.gov.uk/sm/digital-t … iver-cards

The renewal reminder is a courtesy service provided by DVA and is sent to your last recorded address. You are responsible for ensuring that your digital tachograph driver card is renewed prior to the expiry of your existing card. You must also make sure that the personal details on your card and driving licence are correct.Please note: you cannot drive if your card has expired.

It does not differentiate between digi and analog

tachograph:

Lusk:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The question has nothing to do with an expired card, the question was “is it mandatory for all drivers to have a digi card?” and the answer is no.

If you have information to the contrary please post it :smiley: :wink:

Having said that, although I haven’t yet had time to find proof in the regulations, I doubt very much that you cannot still drive a vehicle fitted with an analogue tachograph when your card has expired.

If the card has expired then the driver does not have a valid card to carry if driving analogue

whether that digicard expired a few weeks or years ago the law would be the same

It would not make sense for a LGV who had a digicard that expired a few years ago to require them to carry a valid one if on analogue

I still think that an expired card might be asked for if within 28 days of its expiry

ROG:
If the card has expired then the driver does not have a valid card to carry if driving analogue

whether that digicard expired a few weeks or years ago the law would be the same

It would not make sense for a LGV who had a digicard that expired a few years ago to require them to carry a valid one if on analogue

I still think that an expired card might be asked for if within 28 days of its expiry

I agree but would still like to find confirmation in the regulations.

An expired card should be carried for at-least 28 days so it can be checked.

I asked geebee45 about this because I reckon if anyone would know the law he would … :smiley:
Yes, driver can use analogue if digicard expired but to carry card for 29 days then do whatever with it

As geebee45 is a member on here and many of us know his reputation and former job then it can be easily confirmed

PS - I for one am deffo not going to dispute what the ‘master’ says on this :laughing: