experince

just bein reading some old threads and i have one question how long does it take to become a experinced driver. i have been drivin for 8 years but class 1 ony 1 years. and i feel confident to back any trailer in any space i could do this in 3 weeks driving.in my view is if you have the confidence u will do it not experince any thoughts on this :laughing: :laughing:

Good Question.

Personally I dont think that a greater number years in the job makes you more experienced…
There are drivers who have been in the job over 20 years, but are still incapable of , for instance , loading a trailer properley, or driving with professional courtesy. This type of thing you would expect men/women with that many years under their belts to do as second nature. Some dont have the common sense to remember what they have learned over the years, and to learn from their ,and other peoples mistakes. Whether they think they know it all, and have nothing left to learn, or whether they just dont care anymore is anybodys guess.

On the other hand there are drivers who have only a few years behind them, but are more aware, and willing to learn what goes on around them. Drivers who are not afraid to ask questions, just so they know for future reference, are , in my opinion a good thing,

FWIW, I’ve been driving Class 1 for over 20 years, and I still have much to learn.

Maybe I am confusing experience with capability.
Recently I was given a choice by my TM. I had been out since early doors, and could either reload my trailer for next day myself, or go home and let two ‘experienced’ drivers who had been yard-bound all day do it for me. Taking one look at these pair, with over 40 years in the game between them, I opted to do it myself. Simply because , I wouldnt trust them to load my washing machine, let alone my trailer. One knows it all but knows nothing, and the other has absolutley no common sense.
Capability can and often does count for more than X number of years experience.

Ok, so I haven’t answered the question Carl asked, but I know what I mean :exclamation: :exclamation:

I’ll shut up now.

Well, for once I completely agree with you Kate :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: .

Kate:
Good Question.

Personally I dont think that a greater number years in the job makes you more experienced…
There are drivers who have been in the job over 20 years, but are still incapable of , for instance , loading a trailer properley, or driving with professional courtesy. This type of thing you would expect men/women with that many years under their belts to do as second nature. Some dont have the common sense to remember what they have learned over the years, and to learn from their ,and other peoples mistakes. Whether they think they know it all, and have nothing left to learn, or whether they just dont care anymore is anybodys guess.

On the other hand there are drivers who have only a few years behind them, but are more aware, and willing to learn what goes on around them. Drivers who are not afraid to ask questions, just so they know for future reference, are , in my opinion a good thing,

FWIW, I’ve been driving Class 1 for over 20 years, and I still have much to learn.

Maybe I am confusing experience with capability.
Recently I was given a choice by my TM. I had been out since early doors, and could either reload my trailer for next day myself, or go home and let two ‘experienced’ drivers who had been yard-bound all day do it for me. Taking one look at these pair, with over 40 years in the game between them, I opted to do it myself. Simply because , I wouldnt trust them to load my washing machine, let alone my trailer. One knows it all but knows nothing, and the other has absolutley no common sense.
Capability can and often does count for more than X number of years experience.

Ok, so I haven’t answered the question Carl asked, but I know what I mean :exclamation: :exclamation:

I’ll shut up now.

best answer I’ve seen to this question

Good Question.
Someone never get experianced and the other after short time.
in that Case listen to your own Ego and not to longdriving Unexperianced drivers.
In Case of unsure ask the Office as the Company pais the Vehicle,You and Injurence,and if they give you a wrong order will help you that by Court in Case of Desaster

But yea

Shut up anyway :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

and how would you expect a bloke to be able to load a washing machine, health and safety, we are too tall and it would hurt our backs to bend so low :smiling_imp:

fred Kanka:
Someone never get experianced and the other after short time.

Thats what I was trying to say, but being a woman, I rabbit on a bit… :laughing: :laughing:

Well done Fred.

David5l:
But yea

Shut up anyway :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

and how would you expect a bloke to be able to load a washing machine, health and safety, we are too tall and it would hurt our backs to bend so low :smiling_imp:

Washing what■■? :confused:
Whats one of those?
Are they those white boxy things that only women can work??

let me put it this way u are trained to drive a vechile how u drive it is up to u but are companies looking for road knowledge not driving capabilty

carlbrum:
let me put it this way u are trained to drive a vechile how u drive it is up to u but are companies looking for road knowledge not driving capabilty

I think employers are looking for drivers who are capable, or potentially capable doing the job required, irrespective of how many years they have been in the trade.
If the choice is

1. A driver willing to learn, and work to the employers standard.
  2. A driver who thinks s/he knows best as a result of many years in the trade, and is therefore more unlikely to comply with employers/customers instructions.

Number 1 is more likely to get the job,

That said, it doesn’t mean that all drivers with many years notched up are a liability. Far from it.

I carry steel, and if I were to collect/deliver a load that customer required securing to British Steel regulations, then I do just that. Even if I thnk the regs are a bit ott for that particular load. After all, who am I to argue, x number of the years in the job doesn’t give me the right to ignore my customer who, ultimately pays my wages.
Just because I dont agree with them, doesn’t mean they are wrong.

Time to stop digging big hole and put away shovel. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K:
Well, for once I completely agree with you Kate :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: .

Oh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

carlbrum:

I couldn’t agree more.

A couple of years ago I went into a company for the first time (Agency). Lunchtime/early afternoon start with a delivery at Enfield.

Listening to the radio the M25 was typically ‘screwed up’ and the M1 wasn’t much better.

Approaching Junction 13 of the M1 Everything starts to slow. So I shoots off up the slip road, left at the top, right at the lights, and parks on a roundabout where I can see the traffic flow on the M1.

It doesn’t improve, so off I go along the A507(?) heading for the A1. Get a phone call asking how am I doing? Explains where I am and why. No problems.

I gets to the A1 and, the traffic on the M25 (according to the radio) is still as bad. So, I drop below Stevenage and then take the A602(?) across to the A10.
Another phone call. Similar answers.

I get to Enfield about an hour later than would normally be expected when traffic is running normally… Another phone call. I explain that I’ve arrived and am on a bay. “Did they say anything to you about being late?” “No.” I replied. “Okay, well done. I’ll leave you alone.” was the response.

I have worked for the same company since. It was a Saturday job. On the Friday I was told the Reg of the unit and that there was a fuel card inside. The number of the trailer. The code for the gate. And where to go. I arrived at the appointed hour. Saw no-one, apart from the fact that I was being monitored by CCTV from gawd knows where.

Found the unit, found the trailer, did the delivery. Brought the rig back and, still saw no-one.

Those are the sort of jobs I like.

Adaptable / flexible / enthusiastic, good with customers, can drive a lorry and get from A to B without accident and within the law.

One year or twenty — does it matter?

As long as a less experienced driver gets good support / advice / training, then where is the difference?

From what I’ve seen, the old hands are more grumpy, but are less likely to bow to pressure when things don’t go to plan.

Middle aged guys doing a career change into lorry driving might be the best bet for a recruiting employer — nice and steady, not easily intimidated by spotty upstarts. Probably can’t reverse — but less likely to wipe anyone out going forwards!

spaceman:
Adaptable / flexible / enthusiastic, good with customers, can drive a lorry and get from A to B without accident and within the law.

One year or twenty — does it matter?

As long as a less experienced driver gets good support / advice / training, then where is the difference?

From what I’ve seen, the old hands are more GRUMPY, but are less likely to bow to pressure when things don’t go to plan.

Thats me !!!

Middle aged guys doing a career change into lorry driving might be the best bet for a recruiting employer — nice and steady, not easily intimidated by spotty upstarts. Probably can’t reverse — but less likely to wipe anyone out going forwards!

Yes, and lets not forget Trustworthy too

Trustworthy ?

Blimey, next you’ll be wanting:-

Low blood pressure :frowning:
Low cholesterol :frowning:
Non smoking :confused:
“I swerve for squirrels / hug trees” vedgy flower power types
:imp:

I would say that experience isn’t the length of time you have been driving, Carl. Experience is more the variety of work you have done. You may have been driving for 30 years but not know how to operate a fridge! Look at Truckyboy … he was driving trucks when they took their test in a horse and cart but I bet there are still things he hasn’t done that you may have. I have been driving for 25 years but wouldn’t have a clue when it comes to containers. You say you have been driving for 8 years with a year on Class 1. My guess is you was doing Classes 2 & 3 on agency before?? That would make you pretty experienced in a lot of aspects of the job therefore :slight_smile:

I think that experience is something you can get with time, but only if you are willing to learn. I’m new to the game and as such consider that I don’t have much experience. However, I have been driving for a long time, have taken my advanced test in a car so believe that I do have experience on the road, much of which can be transferred to lorry driving. I also have the ability to learn and to admit to my mistakes (not that I make any :laughing: ) and to ask when I need help. I am certainly trying to get as much experience as possible out of every bit of driving that I do.
I have met old hands who might be able to park anywhere, but have an attitude on the road that I consider dangerous. Some I know will overload thier trailer on a regular basis and don’t give a monkey’s. They might have experience, but they sure as hell don’t use it :angry:
Whatever you do, you never stop learning so long as you keep an open mind and take in what you learn. THEN it becomes experience.

You mean you don’t swerve for squirrels Spaceman ■■?

I thought we all did ?

do you think its harder for old hands to learn new things :question:

would you old boys be willing to do the nvq/classroom stuff :question:

jon

Well, I’ve held a drivers licence since '94 and I’ve learned more in the last 4 years than in the first years… But that is because I’m driving lorries. Well. Little ones :smiley: :smiley:

Give it another 10 years for me and I think I’ll be a bit brighter then… :sunglasses:

You’re always learning anyway, as long as you think you’re learning the right things then it’s alright isn’t it?

Are you able to ask your employer for training? Dunno what on, but that would be specific for your job. Me? I’d want Class 2 and vmp100 (bigger trucks :smiley: :smiley:)