Experienced Canadian Driver Looking to Move to Europe

I am a former Canadian truck driver with experience hauling vans, flatbeds (including coils, machinery & oversize loads), and end-dumps (tippers?) across North America. I lost interest in the NA trucking industry and currently work in the building trades. I was born to Dutch ex-pats, was formerly a citizen of the Netherlands, have visited many times, and have extensive family there. However, I speak only English fluently. I understand that low-wage competition from the Eastern countries and excessive regulation have negatively affected the EU industry, but I would be relocating to the EU for personal reasons, not for love of trucking. That said, I would prefer an opportunity in the trucking industry over an opportunity in the EU building trades.

So, to my questions: does anyone know of NA truckers who’ve moved to the EU industry and their method? Are there good OTR (tramping?) companies that serve the UK, continental Europe, and Scandinavia? I understand that my Canadian ACZ license will not transfer to the EU, but how much training will I require? How much does it cost for the training and fees? Is there a demand for NA truckers in EU and are they welcome by the companies? Do UK companies consider drivers with no right-hand drive experience?

I read in one post that EU drivers can pay a fee for legal assistance from hiring companies to clear the bureaucratic requirements to immigrate to Canada. Do any EU companies provide similar services? What do they cost?

If you can get the visa, finding work shouldn’t be too difficult. As for changing your license, I can’t really comment, but even if you had to fully retrain it would cost £1500-£2000 including CPC (another card to drain money from you).
Learning the hours/regs aren’t massively difficult, transportsfriend.org gives you a good basic rundown or watching people like Luke Vernon on youtube should give you a decent idea of what the distance work in Europe is like. Passing the tests are theory test, Class 2 (C), then Class 1 (C+E), then your CPC, which requires 35 hours training on a 5 year rotation thereafter. None of the training stuff is difficult, its all learn by wrote, its just time consuming and pricey. All in all you should be set within a couple of months start to finish.

You’re right, the OTR gig in Europe has been chopped in a big way for the wealthier countries in the EU, however there are still opportunities to get about if thats what you want to do. Events work (pretty seasonal), doing gigs or motorsport can be found as long as you’re presentable and have a good attitude, I’m sure that a Canadian accent would give you a second look at least among the smaller operators. There’s also film work, particularly in the South East of the UK, which you can get about a bit on, theres just not that much driving to it, and the hours can be a bit mental. It all depends on family commitments etc.

As for general trucking, there’s plenty of work in the UK at least for both local and distance work. Come to think of it Europe might be a bit tricky unless you have full residency, but don’t quote me on that, it’d be worth a check. n the UK at least, the continental work is usually more lifestyle based with no shortage of takers, so don’t expect to earn any more than you would for domestic work (excluding some tax breaks). You should’t have any trouble earning in excess of £30k on domestic work anyway. It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to drive, you’ll find a job despite your lack of RHD experience, any operator likes people with enthusiasm.

However, depending on your construction trade it wouldn’t be a bad shout to stick to that here. Like everywhere, you’ll earn more, and have more time at home.

There is also a hazard perception test at a similar time to the theory test being required. Also if you fail any of the driving tests,£1500-£2000 is very optimistic for attaining C+E.

It depends on if you fail a stage or 2.

If you’re experienced already, do your reading and do an intensive course (4 days training, then test) for both C and CE, I used Red Rose in Bolton, I think £1500-£2000 is more than possible. It cost me £1700 total and I failed one test.

Think first and foremost Canada Eh … you need to decide on which country you intend on taking up residence, thus will predetermine costs of your training.