experience

Hi there i was just wanting to post a little something. I was wondering lf there are any drivers from county durham on here that are willing to let me ride passenger on a saturday free of charge so i can see if it is the career that i want to do. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I can’t help unless you want to travel down south. It’s good that your willing to show some enthusiasm and don’t expect things handed to you but just be careful you don’t end up being mugged off mate. The industries not perfect but there’s harder ways to earn a living out there don’t just listen to the bad parts(in which there are a few)make your own mind up.good luck.

Karl86:
Unfortunately I can’t help unless you want to travel down south. It’s good that your willing to show some enthusiasm and don’t expect things handed to you but just be careful you don’t end up being mugged off mate. The industries not perfect but there’s harder ways to earn a living out there don’t just listen to the bad parts(in which there are a few)make your own mind up.good luck.

Thanks i really appreciate the advice i am keen to learn but no were up here will give me the chance. Ive just got to keep searching and hope something comes up.

You could ask this in the professional drivers forum to gain a bigger response but be prepared for potential abuse for offering to work for free (thier views not mine)

As a newbie around here, why would op be abused for offering himself up?

mrpj:
You could ask this in the professional drivers forum to gain a bigger response but be prepared for potential abuse for offering to work for free (thier views not mine)

He’s not saying he’ll work for free, he’s just asking for a day on the job with someone to see what the craic is.

Rob K:

mrpj:

He’s not saying he’ll work for free, he’s just asking for a day on the job with someone to see what the craic is.

You’re right I didn’t read the post properly :blush:

arcon:
As a newbie around here, why would op be abused for offering himself up?

To gain experience some new drivers offer to drive for free for a set period to ‘prove’ themselves and hopefully gain a job. The problem is many on here view it as taking work from other drivers who are trying to earn a living so it doesn’t always go down well :slight_smile:

bradharrisonfh16:
Hi there i was just wanting to post a little something. I was wondering lf there are any drivers from county durham on here that are willing to let me ride passenger on a saturday free of charge so i can see if it is the career that i want to do. :slight_smile:

Hi there Brad!

Welcome onto the forum mate.

It’s a good idea what you propose. I like it! Why don’t you actually visit your nearest transport company and ask them if you could tag along with any driver for the day as you’re interested in getting into the industry but you would like to see what it’s all about first. You might not get success at first, but may get the chance later if you try enough companys. (You could even say that you don’t mind ‘getting your hands dirty’ and are willing to help the driver unload at his drop offs? Just a suggestion! :slight_smile:

Who knows, if you get on well with the driver and the TM like’s ‘the cut of your jib’ you might even get them offering you a job if and when you get your licence. :smiley:

LJ.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback i appreciate it and will look into it further

bradharrisonfh16:
Thanks for all the helpful feedback i appreciate it and will look into it further

Yeah, don’t forget to let us all know how you get on. Thanks! :slight_smile: