experience

Just like to say a few words started a job about 12 months ago first night was going well untill went for a trailer bang went to couple up unit too low missed pin damaged unit company understood slap on risk no more said 3 months pasted few minor mistakes then started new shift on days well this was what nightmares was made of first 1 damaged fifth wheel next damaged tyres on trailer ,damaged unit damaged property of company then to top it all off damaged my self and was off work for 3 months been back at work now and I actually feel things are going well and I’ve turned a corner what I would like to say is experience counts for everything and just because things aren’t going well don’t give up because if you really want something out of life work hard and it will come I just wanted to give all you newbies encouragement when your having a bad day and remember it happens to everyone and that you will win through in the end good luck to every hgv driver out there thanks.

scally2:
Just like to say a few words started a job about 12 months ago first night was going well untill went for a trailer bang went to couple up unit too low missed pin damaged unit company understood slap on risk no more said 3 months pasted few minor mistakes then started new shift on days well this was what nightmares was made of first 1 damaged fifth wheel next damaged tyres on trailer ,damaged unit damaged property of company then to top it all off damaged my self and was off work for 3 months .

ruddy hell you sound like a nightmare !!! :smiley: pleased to read you got your head round the job . good luck for the future

Yer I did worst thing was I always tried hard to make sure I didn’t do any mistakes one thing I have noticed with new drivers is they never check to see where the fifth wheel is when reversing under a trailer then end up damaging the unit.

scally2:
Yer I did worst thing was I always tried hard to make sure I didn’t do any mistakes one thing I have noticed with new drivers is they never check to see where the fifth wheel is when reversing under a trailer then end up damaging the unit.

Did you do C+E training + test on artic or W&D :question:

ROG:

scally2:

It shouldn’t matter which he trained on…

If he is unsure he should ask or take extra training to compensate.

Just saying like

scally2:

If you’re doing the job right you generally don’t need to check where the fifth wheel is as long as it’s lined up with the centre of the trailer.

Sounds like you’re still getting out to check the hight, but if the trailer legs are slightly off the ground that becomes necessary and it’s not possible to overshoot the fifth wheel.

dar1976:

ROG:

scally2:

It shouldn’t matter which he trained on…

If he is unsure he should ask or take extra training to compensate.

Just saying like

That should happen but the training for the test will be probably be more professional and instill the procedure better

Most companies these days insist that the unit raise/lower controls are used to prevent this sort of thing - that is not currently done on training/test

What happened to get out and check anyway ill do it that way every time at least you can never make the mistake then each to there own!