Experience not always essential

Just to prove that youngsters and newbies can get a job, I thought I’d share my son’s journey to give hope to some wannabe drivers.

Just over a year my 18 year old son had passed his medical, theory and had Cat C training scheduled which he had self funded. He had a job with a highway gang as a labourer and was looking for an out, the job went sour so he was then looking for a new job where he could use the licence he was hoping to get.

I gave him a few ideas of places to try so he went off doorstepping some local companies where I thought he might be in with a chance. In short order he was offered a job at a local plant & tool hire company, he had enthusiasm, common sense and an understanding of plant and equipment but not a lot of experience. Because he was actually in the process of getting the HGV licence rather than just talking abut it they offered him a job.

He started as a yard lad, cleaning and refuelling machines but they soon showed him how to do some minor servicing and repairs and before long he was sent off out doing deliveries in a 3.5t truck with the promise of getting their 7.5t beavertail when he passed his test. That took a little longer than planned thanks to Covid and getting tests cancelled by DVSA.

His training came around in March, a first time pass was in the bag and he was out the next day in the 7.5t as promised. After a couple of months they sent him out with their other driver in the 32t 8 wheel beavertail for a couple of days and then he was doing holiday cover.

Following a reshuffle of staff he was promoted to the 8 wheeler a couple of months back, It’s a full length 12m rigid and I know many of the places that he gets sent as he is doing virtually the same job as I do. It’s not an easy job and has potential for some really bad situations but he is doing well.

Last week he passed his class 1 test first time, again self funded and although not planning on going anywhere yet he has it in the bag ready should he ever want it.

He turns 20 tomorrow. So I think if he can get a full time job doing quite a difficult job with no experience it proves that there are opportunities out there to be had but you have to go and find them

I hope this gives some of the newbies and youngsters some hope and inspiration. I’m very proud of him.

And if anyone wants a HGV driving school in Essex recommendation

Fair play to your son.
Sounds like a credit to you and himself [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Excellent! Shows what can be done when folks put the effort in. Hope it goes well!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

While experience counts for something, a good attitude and a decent work ethic will always see you go far in this industry.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Gosh that’s an old truck! Was it a manual?
Well done anyway [emoji846]

No it’s an auto, he did rigid in a manual which he was keen to do for the experience.