Expensesand reclaiming tax

reading a thread further down re digi cards and claiming tax back for cost of this got me thinking.

I claim for laundering of work wear (can’t claim for clothes as boss supplies uniform), worth around £55 per year.

Anyone else got any little bits we can claim back?

I was thinking as an employed driver rather than a Owner Op.

I don’t claim anything but if anyone can tell me how to, then I would appreciate the info. I don’t get supplied with a uniform, can I claim something for my everyday clothes?

Del you can also claim for safety boots if you have to provide your own and if you part of a union you can claim the subscriptions also.

Harry like wise for the above, not sure about it if you don’t get uniform. if you ring your local tax office though they will tell you what you can claim for you just have to find the relevant amounts out as they are helpful but not tht helpful if you get my drift.

del949:
reading a thread further down re digi cards and claiming tax back for cost of this got me thinking.

I claim for laundering of work wear (can’t claim for clothes as boss supplies uniform), worth around £55 per year.

under tax law your allowed £4.40 3 times a week for laundry i.e £13.20 aweek off set against your tax

del949:

u can also claim for overals n gloves n working boots

The easiest way to do it is consider what it is your claiming for:

Do I need it for work?
Is it only for work?

The ask the taxman, he’ll say “Yay” or “Nay”

Medicals, Licence renewal costs, digicards, PPE, workwear, laundry of workclothes, etc, etc.

See this HMRC index thing relating to particular professions:

EIM65799 - Tax treatment of particular occupations

Claim back what YOUR entitled to, even if it’s not much. It’s YOUR money and not that smug Darling fella’s. :smiling_imp:

You can claim all your expenses on form.

P87.

This is from the inland revenue.
However, It is normally for mileage expenses, So when you fill out the form you must photocopy the item that refer to your expenses which is in the seperate booklet that they send to you. Then cirlce it in a bright colour and send it back with your form.
The reason you have to do this is because most of the staff just deal with mileage allowance. and they think thats all it’s for.
It took me 3 attempts at it before i found out the way to do it. I have claimed for the following.

Class C £750
Class C+E £750
Test fee. £ 60…ish X2
Digi Card £38.00
Gloves X 26 pairs @£3.00
The list goes on and the above is not accurate but my last rebate was around £1500.00

Harry Monk:
I don’t claim anything but if anyone can tell me how to, then I would appreciate the info. I don’t get supplied with a uniform, can I claim something for my everyday clothes?

If that’s your “work” clothes then I don’t see why not.

The only expenses which can be claimed as reliefs against tax are those incurred ‘wholly, exclusively and necessarily’ in order to do the work.

If it meets that test then you should be allowed it.

I can see a lot of folk ringing HMRC on Monday morning! :laughing::lol::lol:

We should have a sticky topic for this stuff.

Harry, I found this for you:

Citizens Advice Bureau

macplaxton:
The only expenses which can be claimed as reliefs against tax are those incurred ‘wholly, exclusively and necessarily’ in order to do the work.

So just my boots and my silly yellow plastic hat but not my Levi’s then?

Curse their eyes! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Harry Monk:
So just my boots and my silly yellow plastic hat but not my Levi’s then?

Curse their eyes! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Actually they might allow you one pair of Levi’s if they don’t catch you in the pub with them! :laughing:

probably not levis, but work wear trousers should qualify.
As long as you don’t wear your cast off clothes for work, and purchase clothes specifically for work.
As for laundry, I think that different tax offices allow different rates. I was told that £55 per year was a fixed amount by my tax office.

Didn’t know that union subs were deductable though, gonna try!

Anyone get a tax allowance for travel to work when there is no public transport available. i.e. early mornings etc.?

just a note to be careful what you do claim for tho (cost wise) as the robbing gits then take it elsewhere (child tax credits etc) also if you claim a large amount (as you can back claim for a number of years) the next year they will send you out a nice self assessmet package. a lad i worked with claimed a reasonable amount for travelling expenses and the following year got a sorry but we hve paid you too much letter. You now owe us £800.00p please pay it asap. which is good cos they don’t pay you asap