expenses

Hello Guys,

Was analyzing our company costs for transport - we have already spent more than 87 000£ + VAT for domestic haulage services this year. It has been covered approx 40 000 miles.
Was wondering if there is a chance to cut our expenses, maybe we should considering of buying our own lorry and hiring a driver?
There would be enough work for 1 driver with no empty miles (working 5 days a week).
Cargo is always ADR and Waste Carrier License required.

Any comments and remarks much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hi

Why not see if an owner driver is interested? Get your payments up to date so they’re not waiting months to be paid and try to be nice to them.

If you get your own lorry you then don’t just have the issues of PAYE etc but also will need an operating licence for anything over 3.5 tonnes. This isn’t a 5-minute job but, of course, you might already have one

Much as the idea would be lovely, the buying and running of your own truck involves a little more hassle that just buying one and finding someone to drive it. If it was that easy, at least half of the chats in this forum wouldn’t exist :laughing:

If you would like a more serious reply then please just PM me. I realise this reads like I am being a little facetious

What weights/volumes being carried? And is it palletized, or need tank or tipper?
“Back of a ■■■ packet” says: averaging 800mile and £1,400 weekly? Can we assume it’s steady work, or will it need two trucks one week and none the next?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

£2.17 pm looking at it in its simplest form. Which doesnt say anything about the job realy. Doesnt seem too bad, especially for adr.

Its not just the truck, which buying/leasing is the easiest part imo. Its more o-license, TM, DGSA,
insurances which dont like new starts with adr and a good reliable driver which are more of an issue.

At a quick glance , going on the assumption that it’s a heavy hgv required to do the work , lease tractor unit £15- 17 grand a year ,driver for adr £35 grand a year insurance for adr new start probably £5-7 grand , fuel over 40,000 miles £30 grand, plus trailer required, I’d say you are getting it done for nothing and I’d stick to what you have in place already .
On the hauliers side there isn’t a terrible amount of mileage per day so a mileage rate of £2 quid odd , wouldn’t stack up , as you say waste licence required , most likely spend half the day fanning around trying to get a forkie to load the stuff ,
Really we would need to know a lot more about the job and what it entails to give an accurate pricing on it , to many variables as it is

Hi Chipliner

I think the driver would cost more IMHO.

You’ve got the salary for the driver, plus employer’s NI, plus insurance plus cover for sickness, holiday etc.

Like you already suggested, it’s looking more and more like a bargain TBH

Thanks guys for the replays.
Its 90% FTL to one destination. Sometimes there is 2 pickup locations.
Weights varies depending on the cargo but in most cases its 24 tonnes. All the stuff packed on the pallets.

good_friend:
Hi Chipliner

I think the driver would cost more IMHO.

You’ve got the salary for the driver, plus employer’s NI, plus insurance plus cover for sickness, holiday etc.

Like you already suggested, it’s looking more and more like a bargain TBH

Driver salary +15% is what its going to cost you minimum.

Youll struggle massively for adr insurance with no history.

Dgsa is still needed for restricted o holders i believe, plus someone competent is needed to be TM. Thats more monies.

Driver and fuel is going to be the best part of 70k so it looks like your getting a good deal tbh.