Exchanging Digicards

I’ve just moved and duly applied for an exchange digicard. This arrived at my local DVLA office and I handed in the old one and got a new one and signed the little form. Before handing it in I ensured it had been downloaded at the end of my last shift. I know if you have a replacement for an expired card you have to carry the old card for 28 days but I handed mine in, and did not see them doing anything that could have been transferring the data from one card to the other. As far as I know until I put the card in a VU monday morning it’s empty. So how do I stand for providing records?

The regulations only say you must produce your digi card if requested, they don’t specify how much data should be on the card.

You will be okay if stopped, you won’t be committing any offence and the fact it is a replacement card will be apparent to VOSA.

Thanks mate. I always do a 24hr printout at the end of the day and stick it in with my charts so I’ve got that at least, and all of the data is “safe” on DHL’s systems. It just seemed a bit of an oddity.

Neil, will VOSA’s European cousins be as understanding? Cos the BAG are pretty [zb]ing humourless at the best of times, the spaniards are skint and i can just see a froggy giving me a gallic shrug as he hands me a ticket. Monsieur you need ze 28 day’s non?

Should i take print outs just in case?

Hypothetical, not that i’m planning on moving house.

The rules are the same for everyone so don’t accept a fine as it won’t be legal. I got stopped in a BAG control a couple of weeks after I exchanged cards when I moved the last time and I just explained the situation and they were happy. People in other countries move house and suffer lost, damaged, malfunctioning or stolen cards so it won’t be a unique situation when or if you are stopped.

Cheers for that.