Except for access / loading

If I live in a area that is signed as 7.5 except for access am I right in thinking I can take the truck home and park sensibly and not be illegal as I technically require access. If it was loading then I couldn’t.

I do it sometime when it suits me and makes the dsy easier as there are several places out the way I can leave it.
I’m just waiting for that one nimby to kick up a fuss. :smiley:

I would say it’s ok but ya aint going to make any friends… we had a guy who brought his tractor unit into the village and parked it on his driveway didn’t cause any fuss

I believe the sign that states 7.5 tons Except for access means delivering or collecting, and not for parking and going home for nice breakfast or some nooky… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

red7jase:
If I live in a area that is signed as 7.5 except for access am I right in thinking I can take the truck home and park sensibly and not be illegal as I technically require access. If it was loading then I couldn’t.

I do it sometime when it suits me and makes the dsy easier as there are several places out the way I can leave it.

Your understanding is pretty much spot-on.

I wouldn’t bother ,I’ve just had a trading standards letter for going through a local village, I’ve had to provide delivery notes and other info ,I did use the shortest route to collect a forklift from a fabrication shop in the 7.5 tonne limit .

Punchy Dan:
I wouldn’t bother ,I’ve just had a trading standards letter for going through a local village, I’ve had to provide delivery notes and other info ,I did use the shortest route to collect a forklift from a fabrication shop in the 7.5 tonne limit .

I know someone who used to take his unit home through an access restriction area not long ago… £250 fine If I recall. I guess it varies depending on area, but it’s getting more and more big brother these days that’s for sure.

andy_s:

Punchy Dan:

I know someone who used to take his unit home through an access restriction area not long ago… £250 fine If I recall. I guess it varies depending on area, but it’s getting more and more big brother these days that’s for sure.

I know who grassed he used to do it over 20 yrs ago when I drove a tractor n trailer , he also would send anonymous letters from a residents club against vehicular abuse .

TC wouldn’t be happy with it if informed I assume?

id think an anonymous brick through the respective residents group windows might drop a hint to the fact that the attention isnt exactly required and is a waste of the councils paper and ink.?
there was a similar fanny in balantrae had a yellow box made to sit in front of his garden as the trucks heading for the ferry tend to be unaware theres a village each side of the road,once you knew it was a mickey mouse one then it made no odds,but sometimes you were behind a newbie or a car etc,and they would nail the brakes for a sec for no reason…it got battered off a few times,set on fire a few times,and a garden well bombed with bags of what you would bomb it with and he eventually took the hint as he obviously got fedup with the truck horns going off all through the night whilst passing.sometimes folk like that need a gentle nudge to remind them that there not invisible.theres no place in the world for “concerned fuddyduddy residents”

Punchy Dan:

We use handwritten delivery/collection tickets and only put the town as the address. I wonder if these would be accepted should some neighbourhood watch ■■■■■■ complain?

red7jase:

Absolutely not! Is where you live the truck’s operating centre? I very much doubt it.

This sort of thing really ■■■■■■ me off and just adds to why trucks and their drivers get such a bad press. Park up nearby and get someone to come out to you, that’s fine but abusing the regs…you deserve everything you get.

As a one off might be arguable but occasional trips home for your convenience and taking the truck as your ‘car’? Don’t be so selfish.

Maybe you’d get away with taking the tractor unit home as its not being used for work/for gains and just as a personal vehicle. That’d be my argument anyway.

i live in a area where there is the same sign.i some times nip home on a friday if ive just tipped round corner to drop off my gear and washing so i can get in washer and done by time i get in from work which there as never been a problem.even a copper asked what i was doing told him straight what i was doing he said on no problem as it was day light and on a busy road where buses use a lot every 20 mins or so.
now over the years i have parked the truck and trl mainly empty flat behind me bu off the busy road down the road i use to get to my house which u have to go to bottom back in to a cul da sac and drive back up and park up.its off the main road so no need to leave any lights on as its under a street light and only residents use it to get to home.over the years ive done it myabe 3 times in a year max but most of tiem its once.last time i did a few months ago i was load with block fully strapped parked up at 5.30pm.left 7am next morning as i was tipping 10 mile up road and did my days work and finished at 3pm a it was firday.
following week get a phone call from boss asking if i had parked at home said yes.did u tell the desk said no did not as they said when i had loaded deliver it in the morning nothing about coming back to yard.he said thats fine just let us knw if future as some has emailed head office about u parking there over night.he did not have a problem at all as he checked on tracker where i had parked and googled street viewed it and was happy with it as it was not on a main street.aprt from that hes says just let us know as he no problem with it.plus he sent a polite email back to them saying im away all week and had chance to get home for once and it only happen once in a blue moon.
so just be on look out for a neighbour who may not know u well or not like truckers who may report u.

red7jase:

Why don’t you just phone up the relevant authorities and get it clarified rather than getting 10 different opinions on here and when some nimby taps you on the shoulder you can tell them to take a hike but in less polite words.

What about entering a weight limit to get diesel? The Shell station in Cirencester is just inside a weight limit. Not suitable for artics but rigid tippers are fine, a shunt is needed to turn around again as you exit.
Anyone ever had complaints for using a normal garage for refuelling? I’ve had “that’s car diesel” and “is this a motorway service area” before.

When i was an O/D in the UK i used to take my unit home especially if i wanted to clean/ polish it. Neighbours were fine about it and used to take an interest sometimes asking if their kids could sit in the drivers seat ect, i didnt mind, all helped relations.
Once came home to see a guy a few doors up struggling to take his well rooted conifers out from his front garden with just a shovel…a rope around each one and a seven tonne tug ripped them all out in seconds :grimacing:

I’ve always gone by the wording on the weight limit sign.
“Except for access” meaning you can go through to load, refuel, park up at a services etc.
“Except for loading/unloading” pretty obvious.
(No wording under limit) no access at all, but how do you access premises?
The weight limit off the A40 at Eynsham traffic lights has no exemption notice, meaning you have to use one of two unrestricted roads into the village. Which typically are much less suitable for hgvs than the limited one. The only reason for the non exception limit I can think of is so that drivers looking for the industrial estate don’t enter the village unnecessarily.