Exceeding 60h week

Got caught out the other day in traffic on the way back to the yard the other day and went a few minutes over my 60h working week allowance.

Does anyone know what the penalty is if stopped caught and would it carry on over the 28 day enforceable period?

:neutral_face:

Nothing. Don’t worry about it. Don’t make a habit of it by any means, but don’t worry about it.

If you’re talking about WTD, then don’t worry about it. Don’t forget breaks and POA don’t count towards WT, so you might not have actually gone over it at all

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
If you’re talking about WTD, then don’t worry about it. Don’t forget breaks and POA don’t count towards WT, so you might not have actually gone over it at all

This. If you’re using PoA and breaks properly it’s actually surprising just how many hours you have to do to reach 60 working. If you’re doing RDC fridge work and delivering to Tesco RDCs all week it may not even be possible to hit 60hrs working before you run out of duty time.

Thanks for the quick responses it’s much appreciated.

Going over the 60h was including taking off breaks (it was a long week). It was the tacho head that had started counting down giving me a solid line with hammers above. When I checked the work time I was sitting on 58 or so hours. I had thought it was my drive time at first when I saw the time sitting at my last drop. Didn’t consider it to be the working time until it was too late.

Lesson learned I suppose.

Thanks for the quick responses it’s much appreciated.

Going over the 60h was including taking off breaks (it was a long week). It was the tacho head that had started counting down giving me a solid line with hammers above. When I checked the work time I was sitting on 58 or so hours. I had thought it was my drive time at first when I saw the time sitting at my last drop. Didn’t consider it to be the working time until it was too late.

Lesson learned I suppose.

At the risk of bringing down the wrath of hell around my lugs by the usual suspects for not knowing :neutral_face:
WTF is the ‘‘60th week rule’’ ■■? :open_mouth:
These ■■■■ ott ridiculous drivers hours rules never cease to amaze me, I get by very well thank you on a ‘‘Need to know’’ basis, but this is a new one on even me. :smiley: :unamused:

robroy:
At the risk of bringing down the wrath of hell around my lugs by the usual suspects for not knowing :neutral_face:
These [zb] ott ridiculous drivers hours rules never cease to amaze me, I get by very well thank you on a ‘‘Need to know’’ basis, but this is a new one on even me. :smiley: :unamused:

Dont fret! They havent slipped another rule in whilst you weren`t looking.
Talking about 60hrs per week, rather than 60 weeks or the 60th week.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules
weekly working time must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period - a maximum working time of 60 hours can be performed in any single week providing the average 48-hour limit is not exceeded

Since the drivers WTD was introduced many years ago no authority has ever enforced it as far as I can find

DVSA have the ‘responsibility’ for doing so but have no sanctions for breaches of it - so the UK have conformed to the EU laws in as far as they had to

Franglais:

robroy:
These [zb] ott ridiculous drivers hours rules never cease to amaze me, I get by very well thank you on a ‘‘Need to know’’ basis, but this is a new one on even me. :smiley: :unamused:

weekly working time must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period - a maximum working time of 60 hours can be performed in any single week providing the average 48-hour limit is not exceeded

Ahh right cheers for that, I was aware of it after all then. :sunglasses:

Glad you cleared that up, I was panicking beyond belief, a shivering wreck, getting hot flushes and would not have slept for weeks in total fear of getting that worst case scenario…an infringement ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
You know how I worry about all this type of stuff… :smiley:
I can enjoy the rest of my weekend now. :wink:
:laughing:

robroy:

Franglais:

robroy:

Ahh right cheers for that, I was aware of it after all then. :sunglasses:

Glad you cleared that up, I was panicking beyond belief, a shivering wreck, getting hot flushes and would not have slept for weeks in total fear of getting that worst case scenario…an infringement ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
You know how I worry about all this type of stuff… :smiley:
I can enjoy the rest of my weekend now. :wink:
:laughing:

Maybe the 60 week rule really does exist?
The length of time it takes to go from being a nervous newbie, to a ■■■■■■■■■■ pro? :smiley:

My guess would be no action on you, but possibly an investigation into what you have been asked to do by your employer.

identical thread = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163005#p2632043

It took me a lot less than 60 weeks bud. :laughing:

ROG:
identical thread = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163005#p2632043

Merged.

There are only 3 figures you need to worry about:

• 45 mins break every 4.5 hours.
  • 11 hours off per 24 hours (from start of shift)
  • 2 solid days off per week.

If getting less than any of those, go 'ave words with the transport bods and tell them to go stuff the job where the sun don’t shine.

Unless they are bigger than you, then ask politely if you could work more sensible hours, but remember to tell everyone at the next drop you did the first one! :wink:

Had me worried I’d missed summut but beyond the max 56 hours driving time, i couldn’t think what. Oh and don’t panic, VOSA have to use lube now for infringement punishment. :smiling_imp:

(Edited to correct 60 to 56 hours as pointed out below :blush: );

trevHCS:
There are only 3 figures you need to worry about:

• 45 mins break every 4.5 hours.
  • 11 hours off per 24 hours (from start of shift)
  • 2 solid days off per week.

If getting less than any of those, go 'ave words with the transport bods and tell them to go stuff the job where the sun don’t shine.

Unless they are bigger than you, then ask politely if you could work more sensible hours, but remember to tell everyone at the next drop you did the first one! :wink:

Had me worried I’d missed summut but beyond the max 60 hours driving time, i couldn’t think what. Oh and don’t panic, VOSA have to use lube now for infringement punishment. :smiling_imp:

60 hrs driving time??

what fool thought the silly WTD was a good idea.POA if your at work all the hours should count and you should be paid,and why not just have tacho hours and be done with and while I am at it when are there any plans afoot to reduce the driver hours .

Coincidentally…

My lot say they can’t pay all my holiday pay in one go because it is technically over 60 hours of pay on the wageslip, therefore is against the rules.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll get all that’s due to me, they’ve never robbed me, but despite pointing out the obvious no one’s ever been done for it and no one enforces it etc, they ain’t paying it all in one week.

thehighlandscot:
Got caught out the other day in traffic on the way back to the yard the other day and went a few minutes over my 60h working week allowance.

Does anyone know what the penalty is if stopped caught and would it carry on over the 28 day enforceable period?

:neutral_face:

Interesting topic this is… I know many people who have breached this and gone over 15 hours a day…as long as its legitimate and you we’re trying best not to go over its okay, as many people say, do try to avoid it… however as you know, dvsa punish going over the 10 hours driving time and breach in rest periods heavily… this is more of a concern than the hours worked