Examiners

My Dad was talking to a guy who had passed his C and C+E took him 3 or 4 goes on each to pass.He ended up trying his luck at different test venues.
He told my Dad that an examiner kept leaning forward to block his view in the nearside mirror and you have to watch they don’t deliberately take you down a road off the test route with a restriction e.g. height…
Is this guy just being paranoid or what,it sounds too far fetched to be true?
Mind you,my trainer was saying that a guy he taught kept arguing with the Examiner after each test he failed,almost came to blows(he got the same examiner on all his tests).
On the third test, the examiner asked my trainer to sit in with him(either to confirm test was fair or to help restrain the guy if he failed again).
The guy passed on the third time.
Wonder if the examiner could remain impartial after the rows the two had.

There is a T junction on one of the routes round here where the right turn has a 7.5t limit, if you approach it on test the examiner stays silent (as you can obviously only turn left). They do indeed use it to test your observation of restrictions.

I remember one in Grimsby when I was doing my C and C+E, both of them said to me take the next avaible left. Well you can’t get down the first one as its too small yet it has a 7.5t limit on it, but the route he wants you go down was a sharp left hand turn which you can bearly make it round in the C+E (nice and slow) and you end up going on the other side of the road and then to strighten up abit.

God I felt my heart in my mouth on them moments, as I knew it was coming :smiley:

Mike

when i took my tests ( 2x C and 2x C+E ) all with different examiners, they all stated I was to ignore any restrictions as these didnt apply to us.

they said the same to me"we are exempt"

how? I thought any goods lorry with a gross weight more than 7.5t must not use the roads with this restrictions. Even though I ingore them now as I need to go though these weight limit roads to do the pick ups - even thought my Gross weight is 9t I never get anywhere near 7.4t

There are apparently some test centres that are exempt from the restrictions - although the bulk will expect you to see them and act accordingly. Guess that it just depends on the local roads !!

G

Failed my class 2 this week the examiner kept making small coughs like what you would to to attract someones attention very off putting I thought at the time he was hinting I was doing something wrong but then makes you paranoid and that was it ,stupid mistakes were made and I messed up hope I dont get the same guy again his nick name is the destroyer apparently :imp:

For those of you that might have missed the link in the FAQ’s, an interesting article HERE.

:smiley:

Krankee,interesting article.Thanks for posting.

I took my test in Wetherby and he took me through the centre which as a 7.5tonne weight restriction.

I always thought examiners are exempt from the restrictions.

I believe the exemption is subject to approval from the relevent council ie needs to be applied for, so doesn’t apply to all test centres / examiners.

mrpj:
I believe the exemption is subject to approval from the relevent council ie needs to be applied for, so doesn’t apply to all test centres / examiners.

True.

An example (ish) relevant to something Conor mentioned, is the Army Driver Training Vehicles from Leconfield.

The residents of Cottingham kept complaining about the (unnecessary) amount of lorries driving through their village and campaigned for a 7.5t weight restriction. This was despite Leconfield’s ‘good will’ gesture of not allowing any of their own vehicles in the area before 0900 or after 1500 thereby avoiding the ‘school-run’ and rush-hour.

Eventually, the local council arranged for the 7.5t weight limit to be put in place but it didn’t apply to driver training vehicles (both training & testing). Consequently, there are only a few less vehicles going through that area now and one or two local businesses have become victims of the locals that they serve/employ.

Unfortunately it’s another NIMBY example, along with people who live too near an airport/air base, too near a busy road, too near a factory etc etc. They all want the end product/result (be it flying abroad on holiday or having a well trained military etc) but just don’t want it to put them out in the slightest. :unamused:

There’s a turn on a test route I was taken on both of my tests called the ‘nursery turn’ because there’s a nursery on it strangely enough. It has a filter lane, you need to get in and the obvious, but wrong entrance is actually no entry. You need to actually, go further down the road and make a very sharp right hand turn to get in the correct entrance. We were told numerous times by the instructors about people taking the no-entry entrance into the turn and instantly failing their test due to it.

Like this. (Excuse my amazing MS paint drawing skills.)

Both times, I’ve been there on my test I was instructed to take the next right. Luckily, those numerous times of being told about it stuck in my head. :sunglasses:

SheepOnMintSauce:
There’s a turn on a test route I was taken on both of my tests called the ‘nursery turn’ because there’s a nursery on it strangely enough. It has a filter lane, you need to get in and the obvious, but wrong entrance is actually no entry. You need to actually, go further down the road and make a very sharp right hand turn to get in the correct entrance. We were told numerous times by the instructors about people taking the no-entry entrance into the turn and instantly failing their test due to it.

Both times, I’ve been there on my test I was instructed to take the next right. Luckily, those numerous times of being told about it stuck in my head. :sunglasses:

Good Paint skills, Sheep! I like it!

Ta! :smiley:

The Exeter test centre definitely has at least one route going through a 7.5t limit, as I questioned it when we were doing the routes on my course; the instructor showed me the letter exempting them from the restriction.

It does depend on the test centre regarding the 7.5 weight limits.
Some test centres dont use them and others do.
If in doubt ask your instructor and they will tell you, and also take you down the roads you can use and pont out the ones you cant.
Also with directions the usual form of instruction is “Take the next AVAILABLE road on the left/right.”
The operative word is ‘available’ so - for example - if the next road has no entry signs then you would not go down there as it is not ‘available’ to use.

SheepOnMintSauce:

Is that Swansea - from Oystermouth Road up to the Brangwyn Hall? That is similar and a real pig of a junction.

Looks like the right turn into Hadly Road from Oakwood near Southgate - but this has since had a mini roundaboaut installed and spoiled all the fun!