ex employers

Was wondering how many of you have gone back to an old employer? I have not driven for two years due to family commitments but start back with an old employer on the 2nd of july.In hindsight i should never have left really grass is greener and all that but have to say really looking forward to going back there and seeing some old faces.I know there is always the saying dont burn your bridges and to be fair its paid off for me.Of you that did go back was it for the best or have you,did you regret it?

You’ll regret it! Don’t think it ever works but good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using my right index finger!

I did, 17 years ago(and counting) after an 18 month “rest” :laughing: (skiving in a factory on shift work).

Worked very well for me and the Boss, as we both knew what to expect.

But do try to remember WHY you left in the first place and get those issues sorted BEFORE you return :smiley:

Good luck

Leaving when your payoff is maxed out, and returning when you have enough years of your working life left to build all that max seniority up again.

It’s a kind of ‘working the system’ that I have heard TNT and UPC won’t tolerate at all!

Dunno if it applies to RM as well - I guess I’ll find out in December! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a personnel philosophy in life, I never go backwards, I always go forward because i can never find reverse.
Though going back to an employer once youve left isnt a good idea, IMO is like getting back with with your ex-wife after youve divorced her.......... in hindsight it was a good idea initially, but the ■■■ is never as good as the first time you married her, and you know at some point in the future the old issues are gonna surface, and youll end up kicking yourself later and leaving

peirre:
I have a personnel philosophy in life, I never go backwards, I always go forward because i can never find reverse.
Though going back to an employer once youve left isnt a good idea, IMO is like getting back with with your ex-wife after youve divorced her.......... in hindsight it was a good idea initially, but the ■■■ is never as good as the first time you married her, and you know at some point in the future the old issues are gonna surface, and youll end up kicking yourself later and leaving

We’re going to have to disagree on that one!

I had a call to one of my old bosses - ( I left over 8 years ago) a few weeks ago about something totally unrelated to work ( was on the scrounge for 20 tonnes of road planings) and he asked me when I was starting back with him

Now this guy runs decent tackle and pays decent money and always has a queue of people who want to get a start - I took it as a compliment that I could always jump the queue and that in his word" you now the job and the craic, you could start back tomorrow"

Unfortunatly I dont want the 4-6 weeks away any more so said no thanks - but thats why I have always tried to leave companies on good terms- if everything else goes bosom up I know that there is a job there for me…

i’ve worked for 1 firm 4 or maybe even 5 times, there’s nothing wrong with going back in my book.

It’s all about one’s reasons for leaving, and the actual way you left.

You might love the job, have nothing pressing you to leave, and not even have another job to go to and STILL find some other reasons why it is worth putting the firm aside for a while, either to return later or not as you see fit at the time.

I left my job when I did because I stood to lose a lot of money IF I found myself out of that job at a later date for any reason at all. “Jump before I was pushed” was more a case of working out the system that applied to the firm’s severance policy at the time, and how it was about to change in the future.

Put it another way, your boss says “You can leave now and get double what you’d get if you leave next year or later” and there’s a big enough recession on that you are actually WORRIED about your future prospects of staying put, then better to jump ship, and then be coming the other way as everyone else finds themselves on rocky ground behind you.

A few guys left about a year before I did, and went on to get full time jobs at Morrisons. That window of opportunity had closed by the time I left, so one could argue that they took better advantage of the situation than I did, leaving to get another full time job whereas I left to go part-time on agencies.

I hear this week however that Morrisons are paying huge “bounty” shift payments because they can’t get a full fill of agency drivers in. Sounds a bit fishy to me, so I’ve chosen to ignore it until I see something a bit more concrete. :open_mouth:

Most of my S/E contracts are folk I worked for full time.

A large bunch of the others I work for got my name through said Hauliers.

If you left on good terms to try something different, then why not?

Never done it but am tempted sometimes, frankly the way our new manager talks about wanting drivers who are willing to work away for weeks and not want to spend weekends with the family doesnt exactly inspire confidence in one’s position.

Yes, Im considering it now, grass isnt greener etc :blush:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

DAF95XF:

Which one ■■ Do you have some sort of spreadsheet to keep track of them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

DAF95XF:

Which one ■■ Do you have some sort of spreadsheet to keep track of them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Reed Boardall…
I was far better off there…

DAF95XF:

billybigrig:

DAF95XF:

Reed Boardall…

You must have a really ■■■■ job now then if its worse than your previous one

green456:

DAF95XF:

billybigrig:

DAF95XF:

Reed Boardall…

You must have a really [zb] job now then if its worse than your previous one

Belive it or not, I enjoyed my time at RB and yes, I have a really ZB job back on the coaches…

Theres a big coach firm not half mile from RB, all holiday tour work I think, family run, been going years, cant remember name tho
But i know sfa about coach job so maybe thats where you are now
all their gear seemed top notch
hth
Edit its eddiebrowntours.com

green456:
Theres a big coach firm not half mile from RB, all holiday tour work I think, family run, been going years, cant remember name tho
But i know sfa about coach job so maybe thats where you are now
all their gear seemed top notch
hth
Edit its eddiebrowntours.com

No, Im at a firm in Leeming Bar…
And yeah Eddie Browns do seem like a good firm… :wink:

DAF95XF:

you would be hard pushed to get a job that is NOT with an ex-employer with the length of your CV :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I went back to a previous employer and im still here i left on reasonble terms.Any issues i had were sorted out before i returned but in fairness i have never had any problems getting a job :smiley: