Ex cabbie goes trucking

londoncabby.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great read…2 points stick out though,
1,Manager said your lucky not to have lost your brakes but then send you out in it to the garage :open_mouth:
2,Get whoever your working for to pay for the parking…and don’t be fooled that parking in services is “safe parking”…your diesel or load will disappear just the same :smiley:

I was thinking that too…after the event!
Other questions going around in my head are things like what you said about getting them to pay for parking. Also that journey took me towards the M6 toll but I avoided it once I saw the cost as I didn’t know if my lot would pay. I am working for an agency out of Ipswich and have been booked by the bed company for the next 13 weeks. Up until this gig I’ve only done local stuff in Mitsubishi Canters. This Merc is a beast for me but I’m getting used to it. It’s a proper steep learning curve I can tell you.

£14.50 (parking) X 5 (days per week) X 13 (weeks) =£942
I’d clarify where that £942 parking is gonna come from over the 13 weeks fella,it is normal for companies to pay parking if they want you to park in a more secure area than a lay-by.
Yes avoid the tolls too were possible unless they are paying for those aswell.

All that aside have fun :smiley:

You should start a youtube channel you could be the cockney ned kelly :laughing:

Great read thoroughly enjoyed that. keep them coming.

Yeah, well told stories. More please.

Good blog!

I’ve been blogging as a cabbie for the last 12 years. There seems to be a lot of fodder in the trucking industry to blog about so I’ll try and write stuff a few times a week. I am taking a load into London tomorrow then I’ve been told that I’m doing a two nighter from Tuesday up to ■■■■■■■■ I’ll blog it all once I know the details.

Actually, while all you experienced chappies are on here, could you tell me if I did this wrong. CPC course and internet have taught me the the basics when using tacho’s. 4.5 driving then 45 min break. But when theres other work in between the driving and I’ve not accumulated 4.5 hours driving but have been on duty for six hours should my Tacho inform me I’m due a 45? Also, last Thursday morning I started work at 6am and by the time I’d found a safe place to park, namely the Moto services at Grantham North (A1), it was 8pm. Did I commit any infringement there please? I did rest till 7am so I took my 11 but not sure about what went before that.

Excellent [emoji106]

londoncabby1:
Actually, while all you experienced chappies are on here, could you tell me if I did this wrong. CPC course and internet have taught me the the basics when using tacho’s. 4.5 driving then 45 min break. But when theres other work in between the driving and I’ve not accumulated 4.5 hours driving but have been on duty for six hours should my Tacho inform me I’m due a 45? Also, last Thursday morning I started work at 6am and by the time I’d found a safe place to park, namely the Moto services at Grantham North (A1), it was 8pm. Did I commit any infringement there please? I did rest till 7am so I took my 11 but not sure about what went before that.

Basically if your shift is more than 13 hours you are on a reduced daily rest, no matter that you have taken 11 off ofater that. This bit is monitored over the rolling 24 hours window so if you get more than 13 hour shift you are automatically lesss than 11h rest

Your tacho will not tell you when you are due a WTD break mate.

Well it looks like i’m gonna be learning the hard way with a few fines and bo110kings lol

Do all in your power to prevent fines and bollowkings.Infringements can mean a meeting with the traffic commisioner.Not a pleasant experience with tea and biccies as you will read on hear.If you get points on your licence the agency could stop using your servicesThe wonderful planners can give you impossible schedules ,you cut corners and do your best then they decide that you are a liability.Some one else sits in the driving seat to morrow and the system starts all over again.I would use a kitchen timer set to 4 hours at the start of a shift when the bell goes you have 30 minutes to get parked up…

londoncabby1:
Well it looks like i’m gonna be learning the hard way with a few fines and bo110kings lol

That is very unlikely, chin up!

Keep reading the examples people post on this forum, and the new drivers forum. The best defence you have against fines is to be as current as possible on the regs you are using day in, day out.

It’s boring, but it makes your day so much less stressful, if you are confident in your knowledge of the regs.

alamcculloch:
Do all in your power to prevent fines and bollowkings.Infringements can mean a meeting with the traffic commisioner.Not a pleasant experience with tea and biccies as you will read on hear.If you get points on your licence the agency could stop using your servicesThe wonderful planners can give you impossible schedules ,you cut corners and do your best then they decide that you are a liability.Some one else sits in the driving seat to morrow and the system starts all over again.I would use a kitchen timer set to 4 hours at the start of a shift when the bell goes you have 30 minutes to get parked up…

Really?? :unamused:

How many drivers do you know getting hauled in front of the TC? You don’t need to be all doom and gloom you know…

As for the kitchen timer comment, if you’ve got a digital tachograph in front of you, you have no need for a timer do you?

londoncabby1:

If you accumulate the 6 hours you can take a 15 min break, then drive until your 4 1/2 hours is up and take a 30, and I’m sure you know you can do upto 15 hours 3 times a week (reduced daily rest), you could then take 9 hours off if needed and get cracked on.

Have a look here if your struggling Working Time Directive | Driver Hours

What are the daily driving limits?

You cannot work for more than 6 accumulative hours without a break. As defined by the Drivers hour’s laws, a break must be at least 15 minutes in length in order to qualify as a break.

If you are to work between 6 – 9 hours, then you must accumulate 30 minutes of break across your shift.

You can do this by taking periods of breaks at least 15 minutes in length or a full 30 minutes of break all at once. Just remember to not work more than 6 consecutive hours without a break of at least 15 minutes.

If you continue to work up until you exceed 9 hours of WTD, then you must take a further 15 minute break. So 45 minutes of break across the shift in total. Again, this can be taken in periods of at least 15 minutes or more, or all at once provided you do not breach other regulations.

You can take this additional break at any time throughout the day once your duty has begun, and it may also be included on the end of another break, but it must be no later than after 9 hours of total WTD.

Note – Please note that your required 45 minute break to comply with driver’s hour’s law can be used as the same break to satisfy the WTD rules.

Thanks for all the advice chaps it’s really helping me understand this tacho and WTD lark

Have a look at this thread about WTD, it gets asked a lot due to it being a little confusing! :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138841