Ex Boss witholding P45 etc

Hi. Just need some advice please…my ex boss (he sacked me a month ago) was supposed to send me my payslip, P45, Safe Urban Driving Certificate and Tarmac card. He keeps fobbing me off with bull [zb] that it is in the post when it clearly isn’t.

He can stick his payslip where the sun don’t shine and I’m sure a call to the tax office will sort out the P45. I will also call Tarmac and see if they will send me another card but I want the certificate so can I get a copy from somewhere? Will it be the group that I did the course with or is there a central admin place that deals with it?

Many thanks x

I don’t know the answer to the question, but why not call the training centre? They will either be able to supply a duplicate or point you in the right direction.

Hope things look up for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, I will try calling the training centre, I can’t really remember what they were called but I’ll try google! And things are looking up thanks. I am halfway through 2 weeks temp work in a tipper on muckaway and it is going well, I am doing fine solo. :slight_smile:

When you say safe urban certificate do you mean the DCPC course?
If you look online for your CPC hours it lists the course you completed.

The P45 has much less significance these days. Employers have to submit payroll data to HMRC electronically under the “RTI” system (‘real time information’). That enables HMRC track exactly what you’ve been paid immediately after every payroll. They therefore know your PAYE position more accurately and - as the name implies - in ‘real time’.

If you go to another job without a P45 your new employer will put you on the emergency tax code initially. However, as soon as you get your first PAYE payment HMRC will find out you’ve got a new job and, provided your previous employer has told them you’ve left, they will be able to notify your new employer of the correct tax code to apply going forward. This takes only a few weeks at most, so your tax will straighten itself out for the most part quite quickly.

If your old employer has not told HMRC you’ve left, they are likely to be fined pretty swiftly for their failure to make the necessary submission.

Unfortunately there is no law compelling them to give you your P45 within a specific timeframe - not that I know of anyway.

ORC:
The P45 has much less significance these days. Employers have to submit payroll data to HMRC electronically under the “RTI” system (‘real time information’). That enables HMRC track exactly what you’ve been paid immediately after every payroll. They therefore know your PAYE position more accurately and - as the name implies - in ‘real time’.

If you go to another job without a P45 your new employer will put you on the emergency tax code initially. However, as soon as you get your first PAYE payment HMRC will find out you’ve got a new job and, provided your previous employer has told them you’ve left, they will be able to notify your new employer of the correct tax code to apply going forward. This takes only a few weeks at most, so your tax will straighten itself out for the most part quite quickly.

If your old employer has not told HMRC you’ve left, they are likely to be fined pretty swiftly for their failure to make the necessary submission.

Unfortunately there is no law compelling them to give you your P45 within a specific timeframe - not that I know of anyway.

You can start a new job without a p45 and not get emergency tax, I’ve had exactly the same situation’ supply a previous payslip and they can get the details off it so you don’t get raped in the ■■■■.

Correct YT. You fill in a P46 and hey presto it’s sorted.

eagerbeaver:

Or go in and stick one on his chin…

eagerbeaver:

Funny how you’re so clued up mate? :wink:

The P46 is no longer in use. An emergency tax code doesn’t result in you getting taxed unfairly, it is simply a default allowance until they sort out your correct code. At the moment the emergency code is 1100L which, in simple terms, allows you to receive about £11,000 a year tax-free and the rest taxed at the marginal rates (20%, 40% etc). That is divided into weekly or monthly allowances to coincide with your pay frequency.

It isn’t a big deal these days, but by all means report your former employer to HMRC and see if you can get them fined. Karma they call it, even if you have to help it along a little. :slight_smile:

I have a direct link to HMRC. I am no longer allowed to receive P45’s because of the amount of rainforest I have ruined.

Thanks for all your replies. Everything turned up at last. Just need to find a job now!