Ex-Army looking for experience

I got my C+E in the military some 14 years ago and i am currently putting myself through CPC. I have no experience driving Articulated since i passed with a rigid+trailer.
What are my chances of finding an employer that would understand this and take their time with me as i learn? I don’t want to be a liability and want to learn but i feel like this is a big ask for any potential employer as this may take some time to learn what i should already know by civilian standards?

If lucky you will find someone to take you on, but that isn’t guaranteed.

Though about doing some time with a driving school?
Get behind the wheel of new(er) artic, and prove to any employer that you will put your own money where your mouth is.
It will cost cash, but you are paying them and it isn’t the pressure of an assessment drive.
Tell us approx where you are for specific advice, and visit any school before you part with money.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
I don’t have alot of disposable income right now but i could definitely do with a refresher/driving school experience as i am not confident.
I was planning on asking the employer if they would first let me drive rigids and work my way up to Artics when im more confident in my ability and know-how but again, i see how this would look to the employer and would reduce my chances of being emplyed.
Im in south wales currently

maybe try to find a proper driving agency or one that specalises in that explain your circumstances and ask if you can go out with another driver.

Ask the other guys on your cpc course whats around in the area you never know someone might be at a company that’s looking

Schools should give you an assessment drive to see how much training they think you need. Maybe you will find that just that will gee up your confidence, but it isn’t certain.

Even if you can’t afford a full course, and hopefully you wouldn’t need one anyway it is worth considering a day or half day, so you can go to an employer and climb into a cab without breaking into a cold sweat! :grinning:
It is a many years ago now, but we had a few military guys come though the company I worked for, before they left the forces. That was arranged by the forces themselves. Is there no help like that to-day?

Sounds a good idea too. Local knowledge always helps.

I haven’t any idea if they are brilliant or rubbish, but Big Wheelers , Cardiff, mention a free 1hr assessment for car drivers.
Whether or not you would qualify for that? Again I don’t know.
But worth a call IMHO.

Have you been briefed about your ELCAS eligibility?

Some training schools are set up to be able to receive this funding, most aren’t, so try to find what is available for you and who can receive the funding and see about some refresher training for driving

Also the British Legion have been known to financially help with training for “resettlement” purposes and I believe their funding is a lot more straightforward and doesn’t have strings attached for the training provider.

As for employers: some are very ex-military friendly, some are not, so try to identify who is your best option(s) nearby. The ones who are not “friendly” have probably had some negative experiences which have coloured their views, so bear in mind why some might be the way they are. Whether it’s justifed or not I don’t know, but squaddies have an reputation in the industry for bashing trucks more than the average driver.

A lot of guys find the adjustment to civvy street challenging (understatement). A lot of ex-military guys have a habit of breaking off with other ex-military guys and talking their own kind of code about this unit or regiment or whatever, just sounds like a random string of numbers to the rest of us. As comforting as that stuff might be, it doesn’t help the adaptation process.

If you had any level of NCO status, just remember that civilians don’t respond well to “military leadership styles” :joy: I worked alongside one guy who was given a bit of responsibility for “training” other drivers, he regularly got told where he could stick his “stripes” :laughing: Mind, he was a proper “Walt”, full of BS stories about what he’d done, everything except being on that balcony.

Hi. I’m new to to Trucknet so not to sure how it all works just yet. I’ve just read the thread on your topic and if it’s any help, you may want to consider Breakdown recovery to get back out there? Start out on rigid and work up! After 30+ years in the job I can say that most operators are usually looking for drivers and training is always provided. The hours are lowsey, pay is average to good if you put the effort in and the job can be very varied and rewarding. I’m retired with bad health now but it’s just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide

this is a good idea lots of companies i think take on new passes and put em in a rigid first to see how they get on and then allow them to work their way up

I’l get in touch with them and explain my situation, maybe they can offer some sort of service for me. Thanks for the help!

Ive thought about this myself just to get some sort of experience under my belt, Will definitely keep this in mind moving forward, thanks

I would recommend applying for as many jobs near you as possible. Don’t get stressed about any assessment, just treat it as good practice.

There have been a few new passes on in the past year or so, who have been in the situation of asking what to do now they have the licence. Your situation is quite similar.

A few have said they would rather not leave their current work until they have a full-time permanent position earning the type of money they want. This is all a bit unrealistic.

Yes, apply for jobs, but be realistic about whether going straight to C+E and expecting to be accompanied on a full salary in a permanent position is going to be likely.

The agencies will want you to prove yourself on C first, most likely, or possibly 7.5 tonne. If you are doing nothing else, take the work.

Possibly think of quite undesirable work as a route in. Bin lorries, multidrop food deliveries like Brakes or Bidfood, cash and carry work, things like that. The idea is to get working.

The sooner you get experience the better. To be honest, paying a school would probably be for your peace of mind only. Doing a couple of hours probably wouldn’t change much in terms of the way employers will be looking at you.

As a few people have already said, try to apply for as many jobs as you can. Agency would be a good place to start to ease yourself in. Consider it paid practice :slight_smile:

Yes, and Rhys has said he needs a bit of confidence boost.
Hopefully just a few hrs would do the trick.
I agree it won’t make him into the fully experienced driver that an employer may want.

I disagree.
For a confident and partly experienced driver agency work might be a useful way of learning a lot.
But
It might also be getting chucked in at the deep end with minimal help.

A good agency can be a good experience, a bad one can knock you back.
Be careful.

1 Like

Yes fair point. I think I got quite lucky with my first experience of an agency.

In at the deep end for sure.

My first agency gig just a couple of weeks after passing my class 2: guy on the desk didn’t even look at my cards, didn’t bother photocopying them, told me to hang around and take the keys to the next rigid that came in, and that was it.

It was only because another driver, out of the goodness of his heart, showed me how to use the curtains properly that I had any idea what I was doing.

I’d bet it’s even worse now, more pressure and a whole lot of “signing your life away” with a shedload of paperwork before they even give you the keys.