Every time I come to Scunthorpe I manage to upset someone

So here’s the story…

I’m on the M62 cruise control set at 85.

I approach a junction and see another truck jointing the motorway so I move out into lane 2 to allow him in.

Once I’m well past him he flashed and I move back in and say thank you.

Bit further down the road he moved out into lane 2 to overtake me.

Just after he moves out we hit a downhill section where my speed increases slightly but then I bring it back down and once flat again I resume the cruise control to 85.

After about a mile a realise he’s hardly made any progress in his overtake manoeuvre and so to not be playing silly beggars I knock 3 clicks off my cruise control down to 82 to try and let him get passed.

He still doesn’t make much progress and when he’s still got half his trailer next to me he starts signalling to move back into lane 1, as he wants the next junction.

At this point i brake and flash him in.

Next thing I see him giving me a rude gesture in his mirror. If I write it it will block it out. He was giving me the W sign.

Apart from about 10 seconds down the hill my speed did not change from the point he moved out to overtake.

Now under what stretch of his imagination did I do anything wrong there?

I was courteous by firstly slowing down and then letting him in. He should have been the one to slow back and move behind me when I realised his junction was the next one!

Put yourself in his shoes and if you can enlighten me as to what I did wrong then I’d be grateful to know about to!

Should have left him out there he was just a knob.

Colin_scottish:

+1
He could have just knocked off and indicated to show following traffic he was coming over .
Then again he might have been doing that when you knocked it off to let him pass so he’s now thinking your being a ■■■■.

Nothing new crack on

nick2008:

Colin_scottish:

+1
He could have just knocked off and indicated to show following traffic he was coming over .
Then again he might have been doing that when you knocked it off to let him pass so he’s now thinking your being a ■■■■.

Nothing new crack on

If he had knocked off he didn’t signal. If he had I’d have just carried on without trying to let him past.

Move on mate, you did nothi ng wrong and even went above and beyond, don’t let it spoil your day

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The bloke was blaming you for his stupidity and lack of planning, so move on…

Has anyone seen the ■■■■ in Scunthorpe?

I’d have floored it the moment I knew he wanted the junction.

The rule is the driver being overtaken has priority up until the overtaker has an eyebrow alongside. At this point a pro thing to do is to ease off slightly to assist there overtake thus freeing up waiting traffic so it don’t get in your way further up the road.

Also before overtaking allow the target vehicle to settle and get up to speed, using gradients can provide a swifter smoother passing manouvre.

You did nothing wrong, don’t worry about it!

that was put in Scunthorpe by the people who put T in tetley

hotel magnum:
that was put in Scunthorpe by the people who put T in tetley

If Tetley put the T in Britain who put the C–T in Scunthorpe?

I just amazed you managed to post the topic on here, I thought the auto censor kicked Scunthorpe out, but then again Scunthorpe is a pretty offensive word, maybe more so than ■■■■■ :laughing:

It’s all your fault for going to Scunthorpe in the first place.

Assuming you were on a three lane stretch of road I don’t think you did anything wrong Rowley. Although if I’m on a dual carriageway doing 56mph and someone is overtaking me at 56.5mph then I ALWAYS slow down to 50mph so they’re not overtaking me for 10 minutes. Only costs me about 6 seconds on my ETA, big deal. It’s just a shame 95% of Hgv drivers are either not bright enough to do this or are just too ignorant to care.