Ever feel you've been ad?

5 weeks ago, I decided I was going to send my beloved 85CF DAF back at the end of its contract, and not replace it. As the price of diesel, and the lack of extra money, from my customers, and driver disinterest, didn’t leave me with any confidence in the future. Anyway, in an effort to cut a long story short, when I mentioned it to the disinterested driver, he suddenly became interested, and as he loves his DAF, suggested that we try to extend the lease.
So about 3 weeks ago, I contacted my rep, who’s reply was, can’t see there’ll be a problem at all, and put me in touch with Paccars rep, he was very pleasant, and in discussion with him, I tried to steer him in a 6 month extension, at a reduced rate, as the truck is now 4 years old. He said he wasn’t sure about the reduced rate but agreed in principle, and the financial bloke would Email me with a new quote, then began almost three weeks of me ringing the Paccar rep, for updates, checking he had my Email address right etc. Finally on the 15th of December, the day before the wagon was due to go back; I finally got an Email, off the financial guy, quoting the same price for 6 months, or a Hundred pound a Month reduction if I took it over a year. The ‘Small print’ in my Email stated that I would be breaking the law if I used the vehicle outside of contract.
So muggins here has just resigned a lease for a further 12 months, which will cost me over £250.00 a month more than an equivalent IVECO as I wanted to stick with my own paint job etc :cry:

Mods! I fully understand DAF are one of our sponsors, so if you feel you have to delete this, I will begrudgingly accept this.

Hi RENAULTMAN,
Not havin a go ,but u as boss make the decisions, why r u letting the driver make the suggestions? U know if makes business sense then do it , dont just to kept u’re driver happy. By u’re thread u r not sure u have made the choice ,that might be costly ,hope not .Remember business, is business , U pay the bill’s .

topcat:
Hi RENAULTMAN,
Not havin a go ,but u as boss make the decisions, why r u letting the driver make the suggestions? U know if makes business sense then do it , dont just to kept u’re driver happy. By u’re thread u r not sure u have made the choice ,that might be costly ,hope not .Remember business, is business , U pay the bill’s .

You’re right I do make the descisions, I doubted my drivers commitment to the job, and tbh, mine hasn’t been that great recently. We were due to replace the wagon, but with the way the job is I had mega cold feet. My drivers suggestion was a breath of fresh air, and I was ‘over the moon’ when DAF/Paccar seemed keen, my problem is, the time it took PACCAR to come to me with a renewed quote

IF i was u ,i would make a phone call, saying the service u have received over this matter was very late, and put u in a situation, where u have been given no time to negotiate a rate, Ask for some one big , mention legal advice if this matter doesnt have a rapid reply.

topcat:
IF i was u ,i would make a phone call, saying the service u have received over this matter was very late, and put u in a situation, where u have been given no time to negotiate a rate, Ask for some one big , mention legal advice if this matter doesnt have a rapid reply.

Yeah you’re probably right, but I’ll probably do nowt, dissapointing really, good truck let down by, poor back up again. Hence the 1st Renault in 7 years :unamused:

renaultman:

topcat:

Yeah you’re probably right, but I’ll probably do nowt, dissapointing really, good truck let down by, poor back up again. Hence the 1st Renault in 7 years :unamused:

It is indeed disappointing Renaultman …

It’s disappointing for every other businessman, because now that you have accepted this very shoddy treatment, Paccar will automatically assume that it’s perfectly ok and acceptable to treat every other operator exactly the same way.

This is 'praps one of the reasons that this industry suffers so.

Mods! I fully understand DAF are one of our sponsors, so if you feel you have to delete this, I will begrudgingly accept this

Just a note.

All our sponsors are aware that we do not edit or delete negative comments just because they pay us money!!

Most of our sponsors actually encourage feedback of all kinds, as this gives them an idea of what the industry is thinking , and where they are succeeding or failing

Rikki-UK:

Mods! I fully understand DAF are one of our sponsors, so if you feel you have to delete this, I will begrudgingly accept this

Just a note.

All our sponsors are aware that we do not edit or delete negative comments just because they pay us money!!

Most of our sponsors actually encourage feedback of all kinds, as this gives them an idea of what the industry is thinking , and where they are succeeding or failing

I gathered that, but didn’t want to put any of your lads in an awkward position, thanks for the clarification though.

Rikki-UK:

Just a note.

Wot he just said :wink:

north surrey haulage:

Rikki-UK:

Just a note.

Wot he just said :wink:

Point taken, but remember, I’ve been doing this for nearly 21 years now, and at the risk of sounding even older than I am :blush: The job’s not what it used to be, and sometimes I just really can’t be arsed anymore sigh But you’ve all shamed me, and I’ll make a few enquiries, and see if I can get someone higher up the tree to take a look :open_mouth: