Ever check your cab's locked down!

Was following a scaffolding lorry today, going down a hill a bus pulls out. He hits the breaks not hard, and wasn’t going fast (thank god) next thing I see the cab fly forwards :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Worse thing the car drivers around just sit there staring. I ran over passenger had got out after face planting the windscreen, Driver was wearing a seatbelt so was dangling. Helped him out and got the lorry out the road. Lucky both were ok, don’t know what happened looked like it had rusted out, but also didn’t seam anything for the lever to lock onto to hold it down.

Was mental to see happen, one thing I will always check now.

That’s why they ask you on your test before you the Emergency Stop, “if you are sure the cab is locked in the down position, carry on when you are ready…”

F-reds:
That’s why they ask you on your test before you the Emergency Stop, “if you are sure the cab is locked in the down position, carry on when you are ready…”

When I took my test in a 1968 tilt cabbed Foden the examiner mentioned that the previous week in the same lorry the cab tilted during the emergency stop. He went up with the cab but on those Fodens the drivers seat stayed with the chassis.

We did have a visiting lorry at our quarry that lost its cab on the way to the weighbridge, the whole cab just slid forward and landed in front of the chassis!

Pete.

think there was a picture on T/N somewhere of one in Dover where the cab completely tilted and ended up on the floor in front of the chassis.

I remember a story years ago about a bloke who got picked his unit up from service,jumped in and drove off without looking round the cab,they had left the bar in for tilting the cab,he knocked a bloke of his bike going thru hull,broke his back :cry:

I tend to look at the position of the tilt lever when doing my checks. On most of our trucks the diesel cap ad-blue cap and cab tilt are all in line so check all three together.

I saw one about 20 odd years ago just north of Zelah on the A30 in Cornwall, a Ford Cargo 7 1/2 Ton boxvan had shed his cab down the road about 30yrds from the chassis and box and still upright. Just looked like it had been craned off and placed in the road.
■■■■ knows how it happened or what happened to the driver.

F-reds:

they don’t do the emergency stop anymore ■■? it may be to do with the vehicle being loaded and no one wanting to take responsibility for a ubc coming through the cab . but it should be part of the test (walk round check ) to make sure the cab is secure .

On a similar note, the amount of drivers I see with their head under a half-tilted cab scares me to death.

In the same way you should make sure it’s locked down, you should make sure its locked all the way up as well.

where is the lock? I am only familiar with hydraulic “pump up” cabs

I knew a Portuguese driver who went up the back of a lorry.The cab was torn off the chassis.
His girlfriend put her arms up to protect herself.
As the cab tipped over her arms were cut off.Both not wearing seat belts.He was ok.

F-reds:

There is no emergency stop anymore on hgv test. :wink:

a pal of mine was working on a Renault (small premium)unit. the opposite happened the cab came
down, he was repairing a cab air bag, the cab stopped when it hit his head which was on the front tyre.
he was trapped for 30 mins before a chap come who knew how the cab raised (luckaly)… the air ambulance
was sent for which got to him and sorted him out. he,s ok now but has 47 metal plates around his face
and head wow was he lucky…just a freak accident.
John

sweeper1gg:

F-reds:

There should be. I recall no mention of securing the cab in either the test or the CPC Modules.

Radar19:

sweeper1gg:

F-reds:

There should be. I recall no mention of securing the cab in either the test or the CPC Modules.

That’s because theres a dumbing down of the industry and all the large companies want is someone to sit behind the wheel and steer. I think showing an understanding of how every aspect of the vehicle works and the ability to change a tyre should be part of the test.

m1cks:

Radar19:

sweeper1gg:

F-reds:

That’s because theres a dumbing down of the industry and all the large companies want is someone to sit behind the wheel and steer. I think showing an understanding of how every aspect of the vehicle works and the ability to change a tyre should be part of the test.

And how to do enteries on a digi tacho and how to write out an analogue one. Caused me no end of issues on my first day.