Events industry? What's it like?

Morning all.

A local company is looking for HGV1 drivers in the events industry, which I take to be promotions, exhibitions and such like.

Now, I’ve never worked in this industry, so was wondering if anyone here has and can tell me what I could expect if I were to join them?

Thanks

Paul

Long hours, lots of manual grafting but usually have a great set of people you work with.

no harm in trying it, though its not everyones cup of tea

eventful.

i’ll get me coat. :laughing:

It’s a lot more than driving a truck from A to B, but for someone who likes to get stuck in and works well with a team it could be very interesting.

Takes a while to settle in, you’ll usually end up ■■■■■■■■ the knob head in the 1st couple of days.

That many people, there’s always a knob head, if there isn’t 1… it’s you :laughing:

May have to work way over your normal hours…ie more than 15 :laughing: :laughing:

truckyboy:
May have to work way over your normal hours…ie more than 15 :laughing: :laughing:

aye if your double manning :wink:

Used to do a bit of weekend casual work for a firm who done theatres exhibitions and so on realy interesting and enjoyable. This firm did a fair amount of time away and I would have gone full time but at the time been away wasn’t an option due to personal circumstances.

i got a friend who does it gets entry to shows free of charge etc works long hours seems to get paid well for it so i have been told

Read the diary of the chap who went to Tenerife with Expo gear, its not all like that but nice work if you can get it.

Used to do some exhibition work way back in the 90’s.

Up sides…

Clean work (usually)
Light loads (usually)
Freebies like Tshirts, Jackets, Badges etc(fairly often especially if you accidently on purpose wore something from the previous job :wink: )
Hotels provided (sometimes)
On site catering -free meals (sometimes)
Travel to unusual places(often-see Tenerife thread)
Lots of downtime at venues(great if paid by the day-crap if trip money)

Downsides…

The load has to be there on time.
NO IFS NO BUTS its got to be there !!
Millions of £, $, euros, Yen or shekels may be lost if you dont arrive on time.
If that means driving all day and all night (often with 2 drivers) then so be it.

All in all I enjoyed the exhibition side of the work immensely and if I was still single :unamused: I would still be doing it

as toowise said, no matter what its gotta be there, no ifs no buts and if your not gonna make it on time let the company know well in advance so they can put a plan together to get it there, youd be surprised at what goes on in this sense

even if you are running a sunday in france and have to trick a copper into thinking you need to be somewhere for a show the next morning even though you have a permit and basically says your permits worth {zb}

Forgot to add an extra couple of points…

Upside…

Truck and trailer are more often than not fairly new kit, with excellent backup and usually fairly high spec.

Downside…

You may be away from home for weeks or even months***. (4 months was my longest stretch)

***This point may also be valid in the upside section :wink: :wink: :wink: